EVGA 650 G2 - is it now obsolete? (one cpu cable only)

Associate
I've just ordered a 12700k, to mount on a z690 Tomahawk.

I'm not planning to do any overclocking at the moment (I never do much) but wondering if that second CPU power cable is essential for this to work?

The Supernova 650G2 has one connector for the CPU:
CPU1: 1 x EPS/ATX12V 8-Pin + 8(4+4)-Pin

Should I use an alternative cable I could use?

And yes, I build a pc every 6 years - it's getting rusty here.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes agree it'll be fine with 8 pin.

I running a 5800x and that is overclocked a bit up to 5ghz, and I'm just using the 8pin.

Stable for nearly a year and a half (touch wood).

Associate
Unless you’re overclocking with Ln2, your unlikely to reach the limits of one CPU socket.

How old is your psu and do you have a 3080 or any RTX graphics card?

If it’s a fairly young psu and you don’t have an RTX, you should be absolutely fine.

Associate
OP
Unless you’re overclocking with Ln2, your unlikely to reach the limits of one CPU socket.

How old is your psu and do you have a 3080 or any RTX graphics card?

If it’s a fairly young psu and you don’t have an RTX, you should be absolutely fine.

Thanks for your reply.

When I disassembled my old system, I found out that the PSU actually has two connectors for the CPU, but they both come out of the same output on the PSU (so this might be some sort of 'splitter'.

The PSU isn't too young: 6 years 1 month. I have a rtx2080 super. Doesn't look like I'm fine!

Soldato
Thanks for your reply.

When I disassembled my old system, I found out that the PSU actually has two connectors for the CPU, but they both come out of the same output on the PSU (so this might be some sort of 'splitter'.

The PSU isn't too young: 6 years 1 month. I have a rtx2080 super. Doesn't look like I'm fine!

I dont know what the power draw on a 2080 super is, why not look it up?

Chances are your 650w PSU will be fine, its up to you weather you want peace of mind, then fine, buy a new one. But chances are that one is fine, lookup the power draw of the GPU and CPU, correct me if I am wrong, but both normally run off 12v these days, and assuming the PSU has a single 12 rail, you can do it in watts peak draw if you want, or amps, I prefer amps personally but sometimes it hard to find the draw of thigs in that, yes you can work it out using that trangle thing I can never remember.... - anyway, find out when the max both will draw, found out what your power supply can provide on the 12v rail, add a bit of extra for margin.

Infact:

2080 super - 280 Watts (thats an absolute overclocked heavy load max apparently on a google search)

12700k - 190 watts - again, described as the max

Total 470 watts as an absolute max.

649.2W is the max output on the 12v rail according to the manufacturer spec on the PSU.

So you've got about 180w of head room, and even then, at the point, both GPU and CPU would both have to be at absolute extreme max load.

EDIT: There you go, 38amps draw vs 54amps provided.

Double check the above power draw figures on the CPU and GPU because I only did a brief google of them.

eDIT 2: wow, according this your PSU is still under warranty just about: https://www.evga.com/products/specs/psu.aspx?pn=ad867852-b490-4a07-9974-8016e58dd60c

IF it helps, I am using a 10+ year old Corsair HX850 in my current build.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I’m with bud over there, it should be fine.

just note any sudden shutdowns. That’s the psu not coping and you should consider upgrading it then.

enjoy!!

Associate
OP
Thank you all for your help.

Anyone knows whether that extra PCU connector can be used? This in bold: 8-Pin + 8(4+4)-Pin

The D and Squares don't seem to match but they do fit without any problem.

Associate
What does it say on the plug? the google images for your psu only show a single atx 8 pin labelled cpu1, and two pcie 8 pin labelled vga1&2, dont plug one of the vga cables to your cpu they are not wired the same it could damage your board.

Associate
OP
What does it say on the plug? the google images for your psu only show a single atx 8 pin labelled cpu1, and two pcie 8 pin labelled vga1&2, dont plug one of the vga cables to your cpu they are not wired the same it could damage your board.

On the PSU there is only one CPU outlet but the cable that goes with it (labelled CPU) does split into two connectors: one with 8 pins and one with 4+4 making 8 pins. Both ends are labelled CPU. My only hesitation is that the second cable, even though it fits into the motherboard perfectly, has some D shape pins where the motherboard has square shaped pins.

Soldato
Motherboards only require (1) 4+4 or 8-Pin EPS connection. On some models, an additional 4+4-Pin or 8-Pin
connection on the motherboard may be found for dual CPU configurations or for extreme overclocking. If your
motherboard supports dual 4+4-Pin EPS connections, please refer to your motherboard manufacturer's manual
for details on the proper function and power of the EPS connections.

EDIT: The above is copied from the manual.

Basically it wont matter too much whichever way you do it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your help.
In the end I bought a Corsair RM 2021. I just thought keeping a 6 year old PSU wasn't worth the risk. The Corsair is very quiet, it's a nice upgrade.

Man of Honour
Moot point now but worth noting that some PCs you can even run with just a single 4 pin CPU connector in the 4+4 (8) pin slot, I've done that before when using an old PSU.

Back
Top Bottom