• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**EVGA GeForce GTX 750Ti: Quick Look, mini review.**

I think lack of SLI was one of Nvidia's biggest mistakes this year tbh

I agree.. But I can see why they didn't include SLI on these cards and its down to price/performance like a lot of things. If 2 x 750ti cost 20% cheaper than a 770 or even half the price of the 780 and performs as well or better then people that have room in their case, enough power connectors and a psu capable of running 2 of these cards would just do that and then NVidia and the card manufacturers would be moaning about not being able to sell the top end cards. Look at it this way, if it had a SLI connector and you could SLI 4 of these cards for £400 I bet the performance wouldn't be far off a Titan Black (May even beat it) and that is at least half the price!

Rough example :

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1079?vs=1130

In some games there's very little in it, while in others you'll see a noticeable difference.

Edit : shame there's no SLI support; it would be interesting to see some graphs showing what these little dudes could muster.

The 750TI is quite a bit faster overall but the 7770 is hugely bottlenecked by its 128Bit bus.

What i find more interesting is that they are identical in power consumption, in Crysis 3 they both have 184 Watts system power, you put a 256Bit bus on the 7770 and i think the performance per watt would be pretty even.

The 750TI is quite a bit faster overall but the 7770 is hugely bottlenecked by its 128Bit bus.

What i find more interesting is that they are identical in power consumption, in Crysis 3 they both have 184 Watts system power, you put a 256Bit bus on the 7770 and i think the performance per watt would be pretty even.

To be fair, my own 780 is a bit faster, but it needs a 512mbit bus, make it a lot faster, pull pie in the sky low system watts and it would be the fastest card ever.

I would have won euromillions last week if I knew the numbers before hand.

To be fair, my own 780 is a bit faster, but it needs a 512mbit bus, make it a lot faster, pull pie in the sky low system watts and it would be the fastest card ever.

I would have won euromillions last week if I knew the numbers before hand.

Well, thats you making an assumption, there is nothing to say a 780 would be any faster with a 512Bit Bus.

Its all but a consensus that the GCN architecture is very much bottlenecked by Bus speed.

Example.

Tahiti LE: 1536 cores, 256Bit
Tahiti Pro: 1792 cores, 384Bit (cores +15%, perf +25%)
Tahiti XT: 2048 cores, 384Bit
Hawaii XT: 2816 cores, 512Bit (cores+ 35%, perf +40%)

GTX 680: 1536 cores, 256Bit
GTX 780: 2304 cores, 384Bit (cores +50%, perf + 30%)

GCN scales beyond its extra cores if it has a wider Bus
Kepler actually scales less even with a wider bus.

Last edited:
I think the bus on the 290 is a bit of a paper tiger personally. I'd put money on the throughput being no where near what you'd expect...

The evidence suggests it needs that Bus to performance the way it does.

Look at the difference between the 7950 and 7970, clock for clock the 7970 is 7% faster with 15% more cores, thats a 0.5 scaling. its the same with the 290P vs 290XT.

Think about that with Hawaii, add 35% cores to the 7970 and at 0.5 Scaling you get +18%. the actual number is +40%

Its the same throughout the GCN architecture, the 7850 is significantly faster than the 7790 (20%+) despite only having 8% more cores. its 128Bit vs 256Bit

I already gave you an example with the 256Bit Tahiti LE vs 384Bit Tahiti Pro.

GCN is an architecture more powerful than its Bus allows, at least as far as we can tell with anything less than Hawaii with its 512Bit Bus, might there be more performance to be unlocked with a 768Bit bus, or memory stacking?

Who knows, but i think we may find out next year.

Last edited:
The evidence suggests it needs that Bus to performance the way it does.

Look at the difference between the 7950 and 7970, clock for clock the 7970 is 7% faster with 15% more cores, thats a 0.5 scaling. its the same with the 290P vs 290XT.

Think about that with Hawaii, add 35% cores to the 7970 and at 0.5 Scaling you get +18%. the actual number is +40%

Its the same throughout the GCN architecture, the 7850 is significantly faster than the 7790 (20%+) despite only having 8% more cores. its 128Bit vs 256Bit

I already gave you an example with the 256Bit Tahiti LE vs 384Bit Tahiti Pro.

GCN is an architecture more powerful than its Bus allows, at least as far as we can tell with anything less than Hawaii with its 512Bit Bus, might there be more performance to be unlocked with a 768Bit bus, or memory stacking?

Who knows, but i think we may find out next year.

You might be onto something but you also have to take into consideration that the 7970 was rop limited with only 32 against the 290x's 64 which is where a lot of the extra performance comes from i would say. The pixel fillrate on the 290x is massive compared to Nvidia and Tahiti.

You might be onto something but you also have to take into consideration that the 7970 was rop limited with only 32 against the 290x's 64 which is where a lot of the extra performance comes from i would say.

Yes i would agree with that, at the same time regardless of Bus Speed all HD 7K card have 32 ROP's, and yet with those the Bus makes a huge difference..

The 780 also has 48 ROP's vs 32 on the 680/ 770.

Bit i do agree Hawaii is an unknown because there are other factors to consider. :)

Ha you're not the only one who changes their mind on this stuff every day :P.

Ended up ordering one of these for the kids PC. Ideal for them, runs so cool and quiet running. Much lower power use.

Amazing to think how far performance per watt has come on. In a couple of generations from now it will be ridiculous.

Am I mad to consider this though? My rationale is that a 4790k should see me good for years and I know right now is a bad time to buy.

Bms and dcs (May well get into dcs a-10 and more) work best on nvidia I believe as well.

At least on arma I could set graphics to acceptable levels and know the cpu isn't going to let me down in multiplayer...although I guess more stuff on screen for the cpu equals more for the gpu to render anyway. At least with flight sims a lot of cpu stuff is out of visual range.

I could upgrade in a year if I really had to I suppose.

Hmmm.

Am I mad to consider this though? My rationale is that a 4790k should see me good for years and I know right now is a bad time to buy.

Bms and dcs (May well get into dcs a-10 and more) work best on nvidia I believe as well.

At least on arma I could set graphics to acceptable levels and know the cpu isn't going to let me down in multiplayer...although I guess more stuff on screen for the cpu equals more for the gpu to render anyway. At least with flight sims a lot of cpu stuff is out of visual range.

I could upgrade in a year if I really had to I suppose.

Hmmm.

And to add more choice you could consider Sapphire R7 265 for £80 tomorrow (only 50 available for store and online).

It requires a 6-pin auxiliary power lead and is a longer card. Techpowerup review, and then compared against a newer 750Ti review.

And to add more choice you could consider Sapphire R7 265 for £80 tomorrow (only 50 available for store and online).

It requires a 6-pin auxiliary power lead and is a longer card. Techpowerup review, and then compared against a newer 750Ti review.

Or just look at a review with both in it.

@ 1080P the R7 265 is 11% faster http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_750_Ti_OC/25.html

Peak Power. (Max is furmark only and pointless)

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_750_Ti_OC/23.html

750TI: 65 Watts.
R7 265: 96 Watts.

I run a SB based Xeon E3 and a GTX660 in a mini-ITX rig and I see at most 200W at the wall,and usually less than 185W when running. This generation of cards below £150 is quite efficient,and hopefully the next generation will be the same.

I run a SB based Xeon E3 and a GTX660 in a mini-ITX rig and I see at most 200W at the wall,and usually less than 185W when running. This generation of cards below £150 is quite efficient,and hopefully the next generation will be the same.

Those Xeon's are great CPU's. Real hidden gem that a lot of people aren't aware of. The latest ones 1230v3 and 1231v3 are monsters, performance level around 4770K and priced around i5. For someone not bothered about overclocking, they are best bang for buck there is.

Had a GTX 660 a while back, great cards for the money. Think I ran a pair in SLI as well. performance was really good for the cost.

Crazy to think how efficient and powerful CPU's/GPU's will be in the next few years.

Thanks for the review Boom:)

Still considering one for my HTPC so very useful. Is a single slot air cooled 750 possible do you think? Space is the issue on my current motherboard so I guess that could be the deciding factor for me:(

Back
Top Bottom