EVGA PSU Problem

Soldato
Hello,
I am looking for some help regarding an issue with my power supply. I have recently built a new Ryzen system using an EVGA NEX1500 Classified PSU (I already had the PSU here hence using such an overkill unit for this system).

When I finished the build the first time I flicked the switch on the PSU it made some loud clicking noises that sounded like a relay clicking on and off. I did not power the system on, I disconnected the power from the wall reseated the cables and tried again, the system booted and seemed to be working fine but after a few hours the system shut down with PSU clicking again.

It seems like one of the supplies protection features keep kicking in but I don't know what is causing it?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

System specs:
Ryzen 1700 (stock cooler)
MSI X370 pro carbon mobo
Corsair Vengence lpx 32gb 3200 ddr4
Radeon 295x2
M.2 NVME
Samsung evo SSD
WD black HDD
EVGA supernova NEX1500 Classified PSU
NZXT S340 case

Associate
I would test the system with a spare PSU. If you don't have a spare, perhaps borrow one from a friend?

Or perhaps pull the system out of case and have a good listen, and look over all the connections to the mobo.

If the same issue happens with another PSU, I would say it is a faulty motherboard. I think the usual culprit being the motherboard VRM's

Cheers

Von.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your reply Von.

I do have another power supply in a different system that I could try, bit of a pain to do it but I guess it's the logical thing to try.

Thanks again.

Soldato
OP
I have removed the EVGA power supply from the system and thought I would test it without any thing connected and it clicks as soon as the power switch is turned on so it looks like an internal fault with the supply. :(

Does any one know how to check the warranty status on an EVGA product?

Man of Honour
I believe your psu launched in 2012 and am pretty sure it has a 10 year warranty so you should be still covered. As it's end of life now you may get a G2 1600w as a replacement which is a much better unit. You can enter the serial number here to double check. There is a UK RMA centre now so no more sending to Germany.

Soldato
OP
Thank you pastymuncher, I really appreciate your reply.

I followed your link and put the serial number in the box and sadly it says that it is out of warranty :(

I wonder if there is anyone who can repair it as it would be a shame to bin it.

Thanks again.

Man of Honour
That's very strange because I just checked a load of reviews and all say that it has a 10 year warranty. Seeing as that model launched in 2012 it should have warranty until 2022. I wonder if it's because it was the guest warranty page. Try creating a account and registering the psu. Failing that drop the EVGA rep we have on here Ben @ EVGA a message.

Back
Top Bottom