****EVH's house building thread****

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic stuff, has to be the most modern and nicest house in-progress build I've seen. I've got the riff from 'Unchained' in my head from that last pic too.

Never seen this thread before and in some ways i'm glad i didn't as i would have hated to wait every week for new updates. But just spent the last 2 hours reading the last 7 pages and "WOW" is all i can say. A lot of hard work and effort has clearly paid off. And by the looks of things (especially in terms of outside) there's still a fair amount left to do.

I guess time is on your side though with summer and warm weather approaching. Would be the perfect time to get the outside completed.

Not sure if i came across you saying, but how much did you pay for the rack?

Loving the updates EVH looking good :)

Just one question - without trying to sound like a pessimist what happens if the stream next to your house should ever overflow? It's something I'd worry about living so close to a stream!

The water is about 1m down, and never really gets bad, even when the rain is hammering down.

How was the council with you when you applied for permission to build there especially with that stream?

The council were dog slow in approving the designs. We had to get a bat survey, a ground survey, go through two sets of planning notice (first time they advertised it in the wrong place :rolleyes: ), and then had to lower the roof height to get it approved.

They didn't really care about the stream, but it took 6 long months and we missed our window to build, hence why it took longer than normal.

Never seen this thread before and in some ways i'm glad i didn't as i would have hated to wait every week for new updates. But just spent the last 2 hours reading the last 7 pages and "WOW" is all i can say. A lot of hard work and effort has clearly paid off. And by the looks of things (especially in terms of outside) there's still a fair amount left to do.

I guess time is on your side though with summer and warm weather approaching. Would be the perfect time to get the outside completed.

Not sure if i came across you saying, but how much did you pay for the rack?

I paid about £350 for it. Not sure 100%, but you're right about the summer.

We hope to have it finished long before the BBQ season :cool:

The council were dog slow in approving the designs. We had to get a bat survey, a ground survey, go through two sets of planning notice (first time they advertised it in the wrong place :rolleyes: ), and then had to lower the roof height to get it approved.

They didn't really care about the stream, but it took 6 long months and we missed our window to build, hence why it took longer than normal.

Why did you have to lower the roof height? The other houses around look taller.

Just realized something and noticed the white lines outside, no drive way or garage?

Why did you have to lower the roof height? The other houses around look taller.

Just realized something and noticed the white lines outside, no drive way or garage?

They didn't want our house more than 1m taller than the neighbours. Pathetic if you ask me, considering the neighbours overlook a bungalow, and as you mentioned there are other taller houses on the estate. Totally ruined my plans for a dedicated cinema :(

The drive will go down the side of the house. The plans are approved, so I'll go out with black paint if I have to. Besides the line doesn't go all the way across the boundary of the plot.

More pictures of the walls..

137iq.jpg

Beginning to take down the front wall, to make way for the drive. The second pillar will sit to the right of where the footing is.

138ri.jpg

Here's the footing that we'll bridge (with some concrete lintels) in order to pave over, and make the drive.

146zy.jpg

Looking down under the road. No Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :(

140wkp.jpg

Here you can see the side wall take shape. Minimum width between the house and wall is 2.7m. Our neighbours drive is 2.2, to give some perspective.

144ke.jpg

Nice blue brick wall finished to the right of the garden steps.

145su.jpg

Ground dug away for the steps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another load of boring updates :p

img0259d.jpg

Re-inforcing steel lattice laid in driveway and concrete lintel now braced across the gap.

img0262e.jpg

Building inspector seems happy with this solution. Rated to some crazy weight, so no worries about driving my pokey Fiesta across!

img0264st.jpg

img0266lb.jpg

Has been filled with concrete since these were took, so I'll update with more progress soon.

img0274wg.jpg

Back wall now done. Quite a bit of earth to go in behind it, to level the garden though. Not looking forward to that.

img0273t.jpg

Steps finished. Slabs are near identical the same colour as the house. Not my choice, but it does set it off nicely.

My biggest concern at the moment appears to be land. I'm either finding little tiny plots with PP for a 3 bedroom house or massive plots with PP for 6 houses or more. I just want something inbetween with PP for a 4 bed house and not have neighbours 6 foot away from the house on both sides.

Where are you looking, MrLOL?

Where are you looking, MrLOL?

anywhere within easy walking / bus distance from our local secondary school, which is unfortunately the limiting factor.

This leaves me with two choices

1) move far out and give our son such a distance to commute to school that it only becomes possible by car as we go out of reach of a frequent bus service in the country side

2) move him to another school.

But i really don't want to do #2. I did this and moved to another school where everybody already knew everybody and was "the new kid" and hated every minute of it so wouldn't wish it on him.

That leaves either struggling to find a suitable plot in the local built up area, or having to commute him to a bus stop at the crack of dawn.

Hey guys. I've got some updates.. Will post pictures tomorrow if the weather permits.

@Dr House - looks good. Solid core is what you need, wouldnt say it's crucial to get low smoke zero halogen stuff but I did it anyway.

I think I used a shade over 1200m of CAT6 (iirc 4 boxes used totally and 1 partially used/spare) and that was because I was being liberal! I get comments from friends and visitors (mainly my mate the openreach engineer, that it looks like a mini exchange) I can't imagine what you'd do with 10 full boxes :eek:

For reference that's 2 48way patch panels, and a 16way for phones spread across 3 floors (if you include the roof/loft). Get 2 boxes and order more when you're running low. The stuff I got had length markings every foot, so you knew when you were almost out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom