Evo Tyre Test 2010

This thread has cropped up at just the right time.

The E60 failed it's MOT today due to both rear tyres being on the line, so I'm taking the opportunity to swap the run-flats for proper tyres all round.

I've asked for a price for Falken FK452's, Contisport 3's and Eagle F1's so if the Conti's are anything close to reasonable I'll probably take them over the Faulken's (which I think will be the cheapest of the 3).

Last edited:
The Falkens will be cheapest, the Eagle's next and the Conti's will be about £30 a corner or so above the Eagles.

Not sure I'd take the Conti's over the Eagles purely on the basis of this test - remember, the F1 beat the CS3 last time they were in the same test.

I'm running 245/40/18 so I'm not sure if that makes a difference, either way, a couple of pounds a corner might make the decision a bit harder.

What's the general consensus on the Falkens? I thought they were pretty good.

I went to get a replacement tyre from Kwik Fit and they fitted the wrong one :(

image1it.jpg

Are tyre prices coming down recently?

I was pricing some different makes and models up couple of weeks ago at a few tyre places. Checked again this week and they are all cheaper than before.

Are tyre prices coming down recently?

I was pricing some different makes and models up couple of weeks ago at a few tyre places. Checked again this week and they are all cheaper than before.

They are cheaper than the end of last year at least my girlfriend's car needs two new tyres and they are £22 cheaper each for Conti CS3s in 225/45 R17.

These are the new CS3's which came out earlier this year, Contisport tend to constantly update revisions of their tyres, so the CS3 of three years ago is not the same CS3 as in this review. Though from my own experience the CS3 is a good all rounder but for a spirited driver there are better choices in this price range. However the latest CS5 looks a very good tyre, unfortunately its not available in the UK market yet, but soon hopefully will be.

Does anyone else find it odd why they put a road/track tyre in the review, the AD08?

Its bound to loose out under wet tests as its a track tyre.

Why did they not do the review in two segments, say one overall test but two categories, track/road tyres and performance road tyres, so then everyone can see how they all differ/perform.

Plus a different car choice that uses a more common performance tyre size along with a heavier car to be inline with what most cars weigh these days. This would have meant F1's, PS3's been in the review etc.

What would have been nice would for the review to have included the tyres and review as follows:-

Track/Road tyres
Yoko AD08
Toyo R1R
Toyo R888
Michelin CUP+
Dunlop Direzza
Bridgestone RE1

Performance Road tyres
Conti CS5 (If possible)
Conti CS3
Michelin PS3
Michelin PS2
Goodyear F1 Assymetric
Vredstein Ultrac Sessenta
Toyo T1R
Pirelli Pzero Rosso
Hankook EVO
Rainsport
Bridgestone RE050A
Kumho
Falken 452 (To prove how good or bad a budget a tyre it is)
Cheapest ditch finder they could find (for comparison sake)

I think the above would satisfy most car enthusiest as that covers the top performance tyres for both road and track plus would give a good insight on how much better a track tyre is in the dry and when it comes to driver feedback which is where track tyres tend to excel compared to road tyres. Wear rates however would be hard to judge in a review but track tyres tend to be good for 3000-8000 miles depending on tyre and driving style.

If that wear rate it right they aren't going to last very long I get 10-11k with F1s which has a 50% lower wear rate in the review compared to the CS3s.

Speak to people in the trade who know about tyres and wear rates and well they don't tend to mean a whole lot so take them with a pinch of salt. Well they do, but some 280AA last long than say 340 treadwear tyres is what I am saying.

Most road peformance tyres have a wear rating of 280AA, some a bit lower and some a bit higher.

Back
Top Bottom