Exam Certificates

Soldato
I left school in 1982 with CSE's in Maths, English, Geography, French and some others I can't remember! The last time I had to show these quals was when I joined the Army in 1987. I haven't had the paperwork for these exams for a long, long time but I'm back in the job market and I'm being asked to supply them. I have sent my CV and copies of all my IT courses (MCSA, A+, N+, Security+, NVQ Level 4 in Leadership & Management, ITIL Foundation) but the company is still asking me for proof of these quals from 35 years ago. I left the Army in 2008 and no employer I've had since then has asked for them until now. Do they really think I wouldn't have been able to achieve what I have if I couldn't read/write or add up? Ironically I'm a Divisional Treasurer for SSAFA so that should be fun :)

I know they're reading from a script but surely they can see from my CV and current quals that I have a good grasp of english & maths? I would think that my experience and quals gained over the years would be worth more than asking for 2 exam certificates. I can apply for a letter which would show my grades but it costs about £30 I think and at 51 years of age I'm not sure it's something an employer should be getting bogged down with. I'm hoping they'll see sense and deal with it in a common sense way but I won't hold my breath.

Caporegime
If you don't think they're important then why did you include them on your CV?

I've taken my A-Levels and GCSEs off as I don't see the relevance any more... however if you're going to put a qualification on a CV then you ought to be prepared to produce a certificate for it - else what is the point in you listing it in the first place?

Soldato
OP
If you don't think they're important then why did you include them on your CV?

I've taken my A-Levels and GCSEs off as I don't see the relevance any more... however if you're going to put a qualification on a CV then you ought to be prepared to produce a certificate for it - else what is the point in you listing it in the first place?

Err, if you read the post nowhere does it say they're on my CV. The employer said I had to have a GCSE or equivalent in maths & english to process my application further. I explained I didn't have them and sent my CV and all the certificates I have gained since leaving school in the hope that they would suffice but they keep insisting on the GCSE's, it was CSE when I left school anyway. They sent me a link where you can get a copy of your results but it costs £43 and takes about a month to supply it.

Caporegime
Ah fair enough, I was thinking along the lines of background/security checks where you basically have to prove everything you've listed. I think you're just going to have to provide them then or not accept the job. Perhaps it is standard for them to ask if you've not got any further education qualifications (obviously you've listed some professional ones but no A-Levels or degree). I don't think you can point to IT qualifications as a substitute - yes it probably is a bit frustrating given your age etc.. but if they require a certain education level as standard perhaps they can't just give an exception simply because you're older.

Soldato
OP
Ah fair enough, I was thinking along the lines of background/security checks where you basically have to prove everything you've listed. I think you're just going to have to provide them then or not accept the job. Perhaps it is standard for them to ask if you've not got any further education qualifications (obviously you've listed some professional ones but no A-Levels or degree). I don't think you can point to IT qualifications as a substitute - yes it probably is a bit frustrating given your age etc.. but if they require a certain education level as standard perhaps they can't just give an exception simply because you're older.

I understand that they can't just give people a bye to a job but I think my IT skills show that I'm more than capable of understanding/doing maths & english, I also worked in pay & admin in the Army. Ironically it's for an IT post as well. Waiting to hear back from a manager there to see if my NVQ Lvl 4 etc will count as the GCSE. It's not the be all end all if I don't get the job but I just get annoyed at beaurocratic red tape that can be easily sorted out by using common sense.

Soldato
My employer wanted copies of my GCSEs about 2 years ago, they paid for them though. They weren't interested in my higher qualifications either.

Is this request for proof following an offer of employment?

Soldato
OP
My employer wanted copies of my GCSEs about 2 years ago, they paid for them though. They weren't interested in my higher qualifications either.

Is this request for proof following an offer of employment?

No, it's still in the application stages. I've passed the online tests and phone call and the next step is to go to an assessment centre. As I said before, the exams I took in 1982 were CSE and not GCSE as they came later.

Soldato
Pre GCSE it was CSE and GCE (O Level), and the briefly the 16+.

A Grade 1 CSE was considered equivalent to a grade C GCE. Anything below a Grade 1 CSE or a grade C GCE was basically worthless.

Underboss
Thanks but already got that, just don't think it's worth forking out £43 for what I beleive are obsolete exams.

£43 Jesus, I'd agree - I lost mine years ago when my old car was torched by someone. I've not needed them since but I would also begrudge paying out for them.

Soldato
No, it's still in the application stages. I've passed the online tests and phone call and the next step is to go to an assessment centre. As I said before, the exams I took in 1982 were CSE and not GCSE as they came later.

I would never pay out at this stage of an application process. I'd consider moving on to the next one. £40 odd isn't that much really if it guarantees you the job but at this early stage the employer should be taking the risk and vetting that sort of thing at the end of the process, in my opinion. Maybe I'm out of touch though. Maybe this is a new initiative.

Back
Top Bottom