Excel Help - Multiple If Commands

Soldato
I am trying to automate the calculation of VAT within a table in Excel and have worked out how to calculate if it's standard or zero rated and return the correct VAT amount by using this formula

=IF(Table4[[#This Row],[Rate]]="Standard 20.00%",Table4[[#This Row],[Net]]*20%,0)

Which checks to see if the rate is "Standard 20%" and if not return a 0 (for Zero rated)

But to cover all possibilities, how would I insert a third variable of Reduced Rate VAT into that formula? so the 3 outputs are either

Table4[[#This Row],[Net]] x 20%
Table4[[#This Row],[Net]] x 5%

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You can nest the IF function. Use a second IF statement as the false statement of the first.

If(condition=20%,outcome1,if(condition=5%,outcome2))

Soldato
OP
So I've now got this

=IF(Table4[[#This Row],[Rate]]="Standard 20.00%",Table4[[#This Row],[Net]]*20%,0, IF(Table4[[#This Row],[Rate]]="Reduced 5.00%",Table4[[#This Row],[Net]]*5%,0))

But that's not working, where am I going wrong?

Edit : Figured it out, thanks @EVH :)

This

=IF(Table4[[#This Row],[Rate]]="Standard 20.00%",Table4[[#This Row],[Net]]*20%,IF(Table4[[#This Row],[Rate]]="Reduced 5.00%",Table4[[#This Row],[Net]]*5%,0))

now works

Soldato
The best way to do it would be to create a little lookup table somewhere which holds all the vat rates.
Code:
Name       Rate
Standard   20
Reduced    5
Zero       0

Then add a column which holds the vat rate for each row (and populate it by looking up the value from the table). Then to get your Net column you just mutiply by the new rate column.
That way, if any of the vat rates ever change you just change it in one place and dont need to go through changing all the formulae.

Associate
The best way to do it would be to create a little lookup table somewhere which holds all the vat rates.
Code:
Name       Rate
Standard   20
Reduced    5
Zero       0

Then add a column which holds the vat rate for each row (and populate it by looking up the value from the table). Then to get your Net column you just mutiply by the new rate column.
That way, if any of the vat rates ever change you just change it in one place and dont need to go through changing all the formulae.

This is the better option and allows maintainability and can cater better for partial exemptions and partial recovery situations

Soldato
Code:
Name       Rate
Standard   20
Reduced    5
Zero       0

This is the way I'd go.

Much easier to update if you want more tax bands in the future and much easier to write and understand the formula.

My advice is normally try and avoid massive nesting of formulas anyway.

Back
Top Bottom