Excessive bills - what is draining the power? 22kw standing??!

It's being delivered today, cleaner is there to let them in.

Even though the box is outside and I can switch the thing on myself they want someone inside.

Even though the box is outside and I can switch the thing on myself they want someone inside.
By law someone over the age of 18 has to be present, they will also have to turn off any sensitive equipment (TV broadband modem computers and the like) just in case there is a surge when the power is turned back on it won't kill anything.

By law someone over the age of 18 has to be present, they will also have to turn off any sensitive equipment (TV broadband modem computers and the like) just in case there is a surge when the power is turned back on it won't kill anything.

Understood, makes sense now! Thanks.

With the IHD (smart meter In Home Display) ignore the 'cost' displayed on it, all the ones I have use have given an indicative price rather than actual price... not much use.
The actual usage on it isnt hugely accurate either... My IHD now lives in a drawer until OVO can offer one that actually matches what they are going to bill me :/
We use a Geo Minim energy monitor for actual usage/cost (it lets you setup your own price per unit etc), much more accurate and they are cheap as chips on ebay.

With the IHD (smart meter In Home Display) ignore the 'cost' displayed on it, all the ones I have use have given an indicative price rather than actual price... not much use.
The actual usage on it isnt hugely accurate either... My IHD now lives in a drawer until OVO can offer one that actually matches what they are going to bill me :/
We use a Geo Minim energy monitor for actual usage/cost (it lets you setup your own price per unit etc), much more accurate and they are cheap as chips on ebay.
As long as you have a SMETS2 meter installed the IHD (in home display) is accurate to the penny as it knows your unit price and standing charge. OVO were using a Siemens meter with a number pad on the right side, they are renowned for being inaccurate and very cheaply produced and IHD problems to boot!

A magnomitor the clip on type of flow reading device is again not an accurate way of getting readings +/-10%

What exactly are they doing/have they done because I don't understand why they need to turn everything off at the main breaker?

What exactly are they doing/have they done because I don't understand why they need to turn everything off at the main breaker?
Sounds like a new meter (most likely SMETS2 as thats all we are doing at the moment replacing older SMETS1's and previous trials meters).

I was not here so cannot confirm anything was turned off. I came home to find a box on the side with the monitor in it.

I think they just access the outside box, attach a couple of clips, make sure the monitor finds it and leave. Maybe they don't have to turn the power off - it's not my area of expertise.

They probably want someone home so they can test the monitor is working and ensure it is delivered. Unlikely a new meter was installed - house is 8/9 months old.

I was not here so cannot confirm anything was turned off. I came home to find a box on the side with the monitor in it.

I think they just access the outside box, attach a couple of clips, make sure the monitor finds it and leave. Maybe they don't have to turn the power off - it's not my area of expertise.

They probably want someone home so they can test the monitor is working and ensure it is delivered. Unlikely a new meter was installed - house is 8/9 months old.
Can you give me a picture of your meter please? I doubt they installed a clip on monitor it will be an IHD that's paired to your meter.

As long as you have a SMETS2 meter installed the IHD (in home display) is accurate to the penny as it knows your unit price and standing charge. OVO were using a Siemens meter with a number pad on the right side, they are renowned for being inaccurate and very cheaply produced and IHD problems to boot!

Tell me about it, awful bit of kit... Wish I hadnt bothered and kept the ancient spinning meter (that went backwards when the sun shone due to solar panels.... ;) )

A magnomitor the clip on type of flow reading device is again not an accurate way of getting readings +/-10%

Spills out each month within about 5% of the actual bill... Much more accurate than the OVO IHD that would be about +/- 40%! (made up numbers IMO!)

In process of moving to an open Energy Monitor solution, which also monitors voltage so much more accurate than just a CT clamp.

You're right, I don't see any clips
so dare we ask - was this upgrade gratis ?

As long as you have a SMETS2 meter installed the IHD (in home display) is accurate to the penny as it knows your unit price and standing charge
Is anyone providing an app to accompany these so you can download to a mobile/computer ? and then, make some useful conclusion about what the different devices are actually consuming, based on time of day you see 'spikes' ... If an energy supplier was doing that then sign me up.

In process of moving to an open Energy Monitor solution, which also monitors voltage so much more accurate than just a CT clamp.
Their rasberry-pi solution, counting meter led pulses, seems expensive £150, I'm much ready for a diy arduino+sensor solution ~£20

Their rasberry-pi solution, counting meter led pulses, seems expensive £150, I'm much ready for a diy arduino+sensor solution ~£20

It is expensive.

I sourced the sensor board, CT clamps and mains brick from LeChacal, used my own PI. About £50 all in.
http://lechacalshop.com/gb/internet...current-sensor-adaptor-1-voltage-emoncms.html

Works well from my experiments.. I wanted the option of 7 CT clamps as I have this idea of monitoring each of the circuits in the house (MAIN feed, Garage, Lights, Sockets, Heating, Cooker, Immersion).
Main feed is where I will start as thats the primary feed to everything and will tell what we are actually consuming/exporting (solar). Others are what sum up to make the total, so are more 'informational'

All works so far, just need to create a pretty and functional box for it and give some thought to nearly wiring it/locating it.

Is anyone providing an app to accompany these so you can download to a mobile/computer ? and then, make some useful conclusion about what the different devices are actually consuming, based on time of day you see 'spikes' ... If an energy supplier was doing that then sign me up.

OVO were talking about making all the Smart meter data available, its one of the reasons I signed up.
2 years later its still just talk with no actual action.

Back
Top Bottom