excluded based on gender...... W series

Man of Honour
In 1973 Bobby Riggs challenged Billie Jean King to a similar match. She declined but another senior player, Margaret Court, accepted. Margaret Court beat Bobby Riggs 6–4, 6–3, 6–3 on that occasion. But Riggs was 54 years old, hadn't played professionally since the 1940's while Court was only 30, in her prime and still a top ranking player at the time. Yet Bobby Riggs still managed to put up a good fight looking at those results.

Don
But they would have fared better than most other women players I imagine. But it is true that they would never be able to match a top male tennis players serve (Or even come anywhere close)
And it highlights why there is a growing movement within men’s tennis to break away from the combined tour as it’s increasingly viewed that men’s tennis significantly subsidises women’s tennis particularly to the detriment of male player’s in the lower rankings where they struggle to make a living.

Caporegime
Caporegime
yes I did, the winner does get funding. But why split the massive money behind this on drivers who aren't good enough? When you focus it on the talented few to get them further.

Who says they aren't good enough? If they are good enough to win a tournament then surely that qualifies them to receive the prize pool and guidance to hopefully go on to compete in motorsport, and maybe even F1.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Who says they aren't good enough? If they are good enough to win a tournament then surely that qualifies them to receive the prize pool and guidance to hopefully go on to compete in motorsport, and maybe even F1.

So what's the actual plan for W Series winners? Because so far the only thing they've promised is $500,000 and some career advice for the winner, and $500,000 doesn't go particularly far in open-wheel motorsport.

And you can surely imagine the response from sponsors. "So, she's won this series that was women-only. And now you want us to spaff a lot of cash on an entry into a real racing series for this driver, who has spent a year doing this rather than karting or Formula Renault trying to get noticed in the real world. Well, we'll get back to you..." *doorslam*

At least the NASCAR Drive For Diversity program is about getting women and minorities into a real, recognised series as a stepping stone to full NASCAR national series competition.

Soldato
Completely misses the issue of not having enough young girls taking up karting in the first place. If any female drivers are serious about making up their way up the motorsport ladder I imagine they will avoid this series.
She may have been a gentleman/woman driver but Flick Haigh won British GT this year. Jamie Chadwick won the GT4 championship a few years a go, it's been show that talented woman can compete it's just not enough taking it up in the first place.

i imagine a lot of girls are simply not interested in karting - its not sexist to say men and women are different and chose different things.
If not enough girls go into it at an early age then there obviously aren't going to be able to compete against a male dominated sport (thats aside form the physical differences).

Soldato

There's not enough female drivers to make this series competitive, there is going to be a few who are miles in front of everyone else and make it easy for them. They then loose a year of development they could have had in a more competitive series and will be at an disadvantage to the male drivers when they then have to compete in the same series.

Caporegime
Women are still capable of handling those forces. Danica Patrick competed in Indycars for years and they hit over 5g's (source).

I'm not saying it's impossible but G forces have an impact on mental state as well and I would suspect due to muscle mass etc that women will be at a natural physical disadvantage. F1 can be 6G or more and because most the circuits aren't ovals it's a wider range of forces involved such as braking from 200MPH for a harpin. I'd love to see women in F1 in fact it'd be easy enough for the sport to adopt a policy where teams can have a 3rd car if they're female drivers, the question would be as with many other physically demanding sports is whether they can compete with men at the very top of the sport or whether they'd need a separate drivers championship.

Soldato
F1 is an extremely physical sport due to the G-forces involved, it's all well and good having the skill to do it in a simulator but you need to be able to do it for 1.5-2hrs under tremendous G-forces and often extreme heat without those performance levels dropping.

I don't think that is to much of an issue really.

I'm not saying it's impossible but G forces have an impact on mental state as well and I would suspect due to muscle mass etc that women will be at a natural physical disadvantage. F1 can be 6G or more and because most the circuits aren't ovals it's a wider range of forces involved such as braking from 200MPH for a harpin. I'd love to see women in F1 in fact it'd be easy enough for the sport to adopt a policy where teams can have a 3rd car if they're female drivers, the question would be as with many other physically demanding sports is whether they can compete with men at the very top of the sport or whether they'd need a separate drivers championship.

But there are limited grid places and if your throwing a 3rd car on the track with someone who isn't competitive, they'll never get a spot during qualifying. Plus it would be a bit patronising giving them a seat in F1 just because they are a women.

Last edited:
Soldato
Look at the bigger picture.

So you have all these other races and tournaments where like it or not, official or not, is full of men, so the balance of the gender is like 100:0 or 99:1 in the favour of men. That's how the statistics stacks, so they created 1 race and series where it is just for female so now the statistics on the sport across the board, not just this series, as in ACROSS the sport, balances out that fraction even more.

That's the aim.

The men still can enter all these others series like they have ever before.

I am fine with that.
Completley agree with this

Soldato
I'm not saying it's impossible but G forces have an impact on mental state as well and I would suspect due to muscle mass etc that women will be at a natural physical disadvantage.

Just a quick thought on this point - Generally, female military pilots have proven to be able to take the same G-Levels as men without issue mainly as they tend to weigh less and are shorter, so G force has less of a physical effect on their body (less weight to increase with G) and being shorter means that blood is easier to keep in the upper half.

The problem with F1 is that the G-Forces aren't just "positive/negative" as in planes (up/down and forward/backward) but also Lateral from cornering (side to side) so I wonder if the specifics of F1 negate the "G" experience female pilots have?

Last edited:
Caporegime
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/45802348

now maybe I'm wrong here but this seems entirely the wrong way to go about promoting women in Motorsport. whilst I appreciate that women are underrepresented there must be a reason to do with physical or mental differences between the sexes. I don't believe for one minute that if a top F1 team could find a female driver that was better than what they already had they wouldn't have them in a car in a heartbeat.

This may sound stupid but in F1 wouldn't a guys musculature especially in the neck be a big advantage over a woman.

The G forces they go through over a long time must be brutal on your neck

Soldato
Also how long before male to female trans mentalists are wanting to join the female racing series? :D

Lewis Hamilton reemerges as Luise Hamilton...

Caporegime
It's more like this:

A sport recognises that it's current market is ageing and desperately needs to attract new people.

Women are a relatively untapped market so a high-ish profile women's division could yield positive results.

As a bonus, young people are somewhat more 'woke' about social issues around things like gender, and are a little put off by sports that don't seem to cater for women. a women's division might help there too.

And what would really help is if the talent pool for women was widened enough that a top-class female driver could be found/developed who could compete in one of the blue riband series.

But the thing is women dont watch sport, especialy women's sport.

Feminists are happy to tell men they should but they don't themselves.

It will jist be a big waste of money on another sexist folly

The whole sport being a massive industry mostly consumed by men wasn't some patriarchal plan its simply what people wanted and were catered for.

But on the other hand how utterly insulting to the average woman is all this "aww don't worry dear we've made a sport with only women so you can watch too!" I mean if they were a genuine fan wouldn't they just want to see it played at the highest level not a sink at division because the players were a certain gender.

Back
Top Bottom