Expectations of IT support folk compared to other departments manrant.

Associate
Why are most IT/IS support folk expected to respond to calls and queries immediately (lets say a user would like to order a new mouse, anything more than a day response time is obviously a disgusting service), where as i can submit a request for a pension refund (for money that i am in desperate need of) and be waiting for 3 months for nothing to happen, then when i enquire with that department as to why my money hasn't been refunded they say "oh, the system has changed recently and i forgot to process your form", they get away with it?

If a complaint is made against the IT departments service its a huge issue, investigations are carried out etc. If a complaint is raised against the payroll or HR department nothing happens...its forgotten...nobody cares...

WHY! :D

/end manrant.

Associate
working on a helpdesk myself, i know exactly where you are coming form...

i think they become so inextricably reliant on their computers that they cant cope.

most offices these days cant function without email...

Associate
OP
WS_TailGunner said:
i think they become so inextricably reliant on their computers that they cant cope.

I know what your saying, but you can surely see what i mean about needing my pension refunded...i needed that money to live, and instead had to go into my overdraft (which, honestly, i prefer not to do), but nobody cares.

On the other hand, if i was on their side of the phone and i needed somebody to look at my printer...if it wasn't looked at right away and the poor user couldn't print a pretty poster in colour she would make a complaint, and everybody has to care.

At the end of the day these people keep me in my job, but surely being a member of staff that they are supposedly giving payroll support to...i also keep them in theirs... ;)

Associate
WS_TailGunner said:

Shush, it keeps us in a job!

Best thing to do to make yourself feel better, is to go into the server room, unplug a couple of network cables from the switches, then when someone comes running for help, leap in and save the day in a matter of seconds, then they'll all think you're fantastic and leave you alone for a few days :p

Associate
JollyGreen said:
Shush, it keeps us in a job!

Best thing to do to make yourself feel better, is to go into the server room, unplug a couple of network cables from the switches, then when someone comes running for help, leap in and save the day in a matter of seconds, then they'll all think you're fantastic and leave you alone for a few days :p

genius!

will give that a try when i get back into work next week

Soldato
richieboy said:
Why are most IT/IS support folk expected to respond to calls and queries immediately (lets say a user would like to order a new mouse, anything more than a day response time is obviously a disgusting service), where as i can submit a request for a pension refund (for money that i am in desperate need of) and be waiting for 3 months for nothing to happen, then when i enquire with that department as to why my money hasn't been refunded they say "oh, the system has changed recently and i forgot to process your form", they get away with it?
Because I would hazard a guess that nobody from IT has taken the time to discuss things with them?

It's all to do with expectation levels. If they're not told how long things will take to order, how long they'll take to fix, why they break, what they're doing wrong, etc, expectation is for an instant fix and nothing else will do.

We make sure that people are kept constantly aware of lead-times on various jobs and always take the time to explain where people are going wrong and what they could be doing to make their IT lives easier. Result? The customers know what to expect and will only complain when they have a right to, and we don't get run ragged by people. Everyone from the VIP's to the Security guard gets treated the same and they all know they're being well looked after and what process they need to follow when they want something done.

richieboy said:
If a complaint is raised against the payroll or HR department nothing happens...its forgotten...nobody cares...
That's hard to believe. If it's a bitch or moan then I'm sure it gets swept under the carpet, but any legitimate complaint will be dealt with, but dealt with privately.

Man of Honour
WS_TailGunner said:

email??! Hell, we can't manage without blackberrys...

Associate
OP
glitch said:
Because I would hazard a guess that nobody from IT has taken the time to discuss things with them?

The situations i gave above were simple examples, i have never had a complaint raised against me as i do my job very well. You seem to have missed my point slightly, IT departments are (imo) run very well, most have SLA's and all sorts of policies and agreements which ensure the customer is treated well and within a timely manner, i don't understand why other departments can't have SLA's response times etc also.

I suppose it differs between companies, i have worked within three government organisations and every one has this same problem...i can't comment on the private sector as i don't know.

Back
Top Bottom