Expensive cinema ticket prices

Soldato
Hi all, I don't go to the cinema that often (maybe once/twice a year) which is probably why this has surprised me so much, however I fancied seeing Gravity from all the positive reviews it's been getting. Yet as I started looking up ticket prices I thought I must be missing something as the average price at the 4 cinemas "local" to me (30mins travel) was between £11 (cheapest at Swindon) to £14 (Oxford) for standard seating + 3D glasses.

When did they get so expensive? The last sort of prices I remember paying in Swindon was about £6 (2D) to £8 (3D) about this time last year and, to me, they seem to have doubled in price since then without any obvious reason (no bigger/better screen or better seating etc).

As I don't use one regularly enough I have to ask, does the benefit of a cinema (see it sooner, bigger screen and louder speakers) vs the negatives (high cost, single viewing, other people) really justify those prices compared to buying it on Blu-Ray 3-6 months later?

Soldato
One of the reasons I rarely go to the cinema. My local Cineworld has removed the online booking charge and the prices are a little lower than they were but still expensive.

Its no wonder so many people prefer to download them. It makes sense to just wait for the films to appear on Blu Ray.

Soldato
I watch a lot of films, so I get an Unlimited cards. Unlimited films, 25% if food & drink (if I want it), early viewings etc.
Worth every penny as I go and see all the big films, all the hyped films but I also get to go and see films I might otherwise have decided not to risk my entry fee on.

Don't see how the "It's too expensive so I steal them" argument is in any way, shape or form a good one.

Soldato
We use some of our Tesco Club Card vouchers and order a bunch of Cineworld tickets with them! I think it's a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio on the value of the Club Card vouchers! (the wife deals with it!)

Then we either sneak stuff in (deep pockets etc...) or eat first! :)

Man of Honour
£4.50 :) or an extra £ for 3d.

Mate gets cheap tickets through work benefits.
For that matter I do as well, but I give him money to buy me them, as my benefits arent as good, mine are like £5.70 iirc.

Its no issue taking stuiff in, you dont even need to do a good job of hiding it. Just dont be in there face aboout it.

Soldato
This type of thread comes up quite regularly. Hollywood are chucking money into **** films and hiking the prices and then blaming it on piracy for the low turn outs but in fact the inflated prices are turning people away from the cinema and some to piracy.

MW

Soldato
As stoofa said unlimited card. If you live near a Cineworld cinema, for £15.99 a month you can see as many films as you like. I got mine a few months ago and I've seen more films at the cinema in that time than I have in years.

Also after the first year you get a different card and there is no uplift for 3D films, not that I want to watch those abortions again.

Soldato
OP
but in fact the inflated prices are turning people away from the cinema and some to piracy.

MW

I agree completely! It's the price that puts me off going especially in these tougher economic times we're in where "spare" cash for things like cinema trips can be more difficult for some to justify.

For me, if the price for films was back to say £5-6 I'd have seen the film in the cinema and, if I enjoyed it, I'd probably decide to buy the Blu-Ray when it came out making the film £20 roughly (cinema + Blu-Ray) like I did for Argo.

If the price is £14 I won't go to the cinema and probably won't risk buying it on Blu-Ray later as I've no idea whether I'd like it, having not seen it before and if it had dodgy reviews (i.e The Wolverine) so the film would lose £30.

I can see why some would turn to D/L'ing with the situation as it is. I wonder if the solution might be something like AlecR mentioned where people can "rent" a new release at the same time thats it's out in the cinemas for a single viewing for a small fee?

Last edited:
Soldato
£11 for the pleasure of being surrounded by people chatting, on their phones, throwing popcorn at their mates and rustling sweet packets... No thanks.

Downloads all the way and i get to pause it when i need a pee or refill

Prices have pushed me and the family out of the cinema and it is no longer regular, but more a luxury - 2 adults, 2 kids, transport, parking, tickets, food and drink - too expensive.

Soldato
I used to quite enjoy going to the cinema too but it is too expensive for me now. I do download as well so maybe I've caused that a bit.

But the way of the world now seems to be you have to be part of a club to get reasonable prices i.e. discounts (not just for cinema tickets).

So O2, Orange Wednesday, Students, Armed Forces, Quidco, TopCashback.

If you are prepared to pay full price, they are prepared to fleece you and in my opinion you are subsidising all these groups that get discounts. It makes it annoying as you have to plan things more, you can't always just go do what you want on a whim (unless you are prepared to get fleeced for it).

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I'd rather pay £20 to rent a brand new movie on my Apple TV as soon as it is released at the cinema. They should get with the times.

Caporegime
The popcorn prices are more of a joke. Something in the region of a 1000% mark-up!

I've heard sweets and popcorn and whatnot are the only place they make money, because it costs so much to get the films to show in the first place. Ticket prices don't even cover the cost of the film, so it gets made up on food.

Associate
I watch a lot of films, so I get an Unlimited cards. Unlimited films, 25% if food & drink (if I want it), early viewings etc.
Worth every penny as I go and see all the big films, all the hyped films but I also get to go and see films I might otherwise have decided not to risk my entry fee on.

Don't see how the "It's too expensive so I steal them" argument is in any way, shape or form a good one.

So everyone should have to commit to an unlimted card then? I don't have the time nor do I want to go to the cinema all of the time....

For the casual cinema person it is faaaaar too expensive. Say tickets are average £10...

For me and my fiancee -
tickets £20
travel say £7 return
the luxury of a medium popcorn and regular drink each approx. £18
Total £45

The cost will obviously be well in excess of that £45^ for parents wanting to take their children.

It is a shocking price to pay even if the film you watch is amazing....unfortunately hollywood turns out about 5 good films a year so the majority of the time you'll leave the cinema dissapointed and with an empty pocket.

Also, films get released on DVD so quickly now (more greed from the industry I imagine) that you may as well save yourself a huge amount of money and wait for the DVD.... or even better, download it for free of course....:o

Back
Top Bottom