Experienced HIFI person?, help

Soldato
I want to use my Marants 7011 as a DAC and connect it to the
Primare I22

Why on earth would you use a expensive AVR as a DAC only, just buy a stereo DAC.

TBH, i've never owned an AV receiver and presumed they just enabled dolby 5.1.

AVR's will receive a signal -whether analogue or digital- process it, either with stereo downmix if selected, or through multi-channel, using bass management settings crossovers, time alignment, room correction, and then send it to the power amplifiers, either internally or through pre-out signals.

You could strip the digital out from HDMI, probably with HDMI to optical/coaxial audio box.
But it would be better if your DAC had HDMI input.

I would do the following

Use your Marantz AVR as single room setup.
Add another amplifier in the second room.
Use home storage on a NAS or computer for your music
Use a wired or wireless music player to connect to your storage device
Use your Marantz AVR to connect to your storage device

Soldato
OP
I'm not just using my sr7011 as a DAC only. It's setup as a 7.1 system in my loft and I would like to make use of it to act as a DAC for my (Tannoy 6.4) speakers downstairs as well as my media control.

I was thinking of using the fronts preouts via high quality 15m RCA cables into the primare to power my speakers.

I have been offered the primare for £600 brand new which I would like to buy.

I can attach all my flac audio via the front usb on my receiver and play my music that way or even Spotify connect for none critical listening.

:)

Last edited:
Associate
I can attach all my flac audio via the front usb on my receiver and play my music that way or even Spotify connect for none critical listening.
I would make sure you can do that first, the front panel USB is not really for that.

For example, I have a HTPC for streaming and storage of music and films running via USB to my dedicated DAC which works perfectly but my blu-ray player for example and other DVD/CD players i've owned have all had a front panel USB but I can't connect my computer to them for streaming and use their on-board DAC. Generally those front panel USB's are for updates or pen drives to look at pictures etc. on the TV, I can put a couple of tracks or a movie on a pen drive and use my TV and Blu-Ray player to play them but you can't connect a NAS or PC etc. to it or stream through it.

You'll probably have to use the Coaxial or Optical connections on the rear of the receiver if you want to use it as a DAC but as most have said you really need to get a separate dedicated DAC. You can probably pick up something like an Arcam iR DAC off fleabay for less than £200, i've owned one and they're pretty decent.

The Source is important, especially if you're spending £600 on that Primare Amp. To get the best from the Amp you'll really need a separate dedicated DAC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom