Exploding Hiper Type-R 580W thread freaked me out

Associate
After reading the thread about the exploding Hiper type-r 580 w power supplies,
i freaked and started to convince myself i could smell burning from p.c ...
This was probably my imagination playing havoc with me , as i didn't have any problems with it in the 8 months of using it...

Decided to work this in my favour & showed thread to the wife who insisted i buy another psu ...a.s.a.p....
So i ended up with a Corsair 620w psu two days later (superb)

Anyone else with the Hiper Type-r 580w is welcome to try this great move on the better half , cant lose....

Soldato
Jaffa_Cake said:
I would love to see someone plug a Hiper TypeR into a kettle or somesuch to see how long it would last :D

It wouldn't start, kettles require around 8 amps at 240v which would be 160 amps at 12v. I don't think there is a PSU for computers that can supply 2,000w on a single rail :p

Soldato
Hmm, so many failures.... makes me worry.

But from when I was doing research on them, all reviews showed them in a really positive light, and now I read people saying they struggle to put their stated 580W.

I know I am pushing the limits of mine, with everything I have in my pc and the overclocks I go for.

Had mine for about 9 months now.

More money to spend? Sigh. But rather than than forking out for PSU as well as other components.

Soldato
jmalco said:
After reading the thread about the exploding Hiper type-r 580 w power supplies,
i freaked and started to convince myself i could smell burning from p.c ...
This was probably my imagination playing havoc with me , as i didn't have any problems with it in the 8 months of using it...

Decided to work this in my favour & showed thread to the wife who insisted i buy another psu ...a.s.a.p....
So i ended up with a Corsair 620w psu two days later (superb)

Anyone else with the Hiper Type-r 580w is welcome to try this great move on the better half , cant lose....
wanna donate the hiper to me? its got to be better than my current generic one

Soldato
Bummer. Just been looking at prices on PSU's.

This potential time-bomb is going to have to last me a little while longer. Just can't afford to fork out another £100 right now, and got a holiday in September.

Hopefully will see me through til October/November.

Soldato
When my Hiper failed a few months ago it tripped the upstairs fuse. I didnt initially realise that was the cause so unplugged everything upstairs and plugged everything in one by one. Got to the computer, plugged it in, then get scared half to death as a fairly sizable spark/flame/flash comes out the back of the PSU !

I won't be using a Hiper again, ever.

Back
Top Bottom