Extending internet into outbuilding using 2 routers

Associate
Hi all,

I currently live at home with parents but we have converted the old outbuilding into a living area, the internet doesnt reach out there even with network extenders and adapters... ive researched and found 2 ways i could possibly do this, either get my own broadband into the room or use a long ethernet cable (cat6 i think) to connect a second router and use it as an ‘access point i believe. This is all new to me and tbh, i have measured it out and it works out that i’ll need 36m~ of cable to get it to where it needs to be. I have ordered a 40m reel of cable. But i still need to get a router, is there any specific router that i need or can i use any? Also could i use ethernet connections on the one being used as an access point like a normal router? All i need in summary is some way to connect my pc through ethernet to the device and also provide wifi to my phone and a few other devices. Could someone who knows more about this be able to talk me through it so i have an idea of what to do, and if this is not going to work please let me know and i’ll just buy new broadband haha.

thanks very much guys.

Last edited:
Soldato
You want a Wireless access point. This will provide you with wifi from the existing connection and is very simple to do. You can also use a router in access point mode, but if you're buying the hardware you might as well buy something dedicated to the job.

This is the kind of thing you need: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ubiquiti-networks-unifi-ap-ac-lite-indoor-access-point-nw-002-uq.html

There are cheaper options but Unifi stuff is very good. Simply plug the ethernet into it, some basic setup and job done.

Associate
OP
You want a Wireless access point. This will provide you with wifi from the existing connection and is very simple to do. You can also use a router in access point mode, but if you're buying the hardware you might as well buy something dedicated to the job.

This is the kind of thing you need: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ubiquiti-networks-unifi-ap-ac-lite-indoor-access-point-nw-002-uq.html

There are cheaper options but Unifi stuff is very good. Simply plug the ethernet into it, some basic setup and job done.

cheers for that, helpful. But on the product i cant see any ethernet ports, it says in the description about one but will that be for the wire coming from the original router no?

Associate
OP
Forgot about that part! Just a cheap switch will do you the job: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tp-l...rts-plastic-case-tl-sg1005d-v9-nw-174-tp.html

thankyou for that! That’s abit expensive for me, i’ll give it a thought but would i be okay using a router for now? Would this work the same way with the wifi + ethernet connection? I was looking at a TP-Link Archer C50 AC1200.Would there be much work to get it working as a wifi access point with using the ethernet cable to pc too?

Soldato
thankyou for that! That’s abit expensive for me, i’ll give it a thought but would i be okay using a router for now? Would this work the same way with the wifi + ethernet connection? I was looking at a TP-Link Archer C50 AC1200.Would there be much work to get it working as a wifi access point with using the ethernet cable to pc too?

Yeah that would also do the job just fine. No issues at all, the router will effectively distribute the single ethernet connection to whatever wired or wireless devices you have.

Associate
OP
Yeah that would also do the job just fine. No issues at all, the router will effectively distribute the single ethernet connection to whatever wired or wireless devices you have.

Sorry for all the questions haha but im a newbie at this. What would i need to do to get the second wifi being used as the access point to work properly? Would it just be plug and play?

Soldato
If it doesn't have an AP mode you can still configure it as one. Google 'router as access point'. It's also been explained multiple time on this forum.

Just checked the manual and it does have an AP mode. Page 15 of the manual.

Associate
OP
If it doesn't have an AP mode you can still configure it as one. Google 'router as access point'. It's also been explained multiple time on this forum.

Just checked the manual and it does have an AP mode. Page 15 of the manual.

Thankyou for confirming that! Will this method reduce internet speeds by a lot or should i still see similar to what i’d see in the house on the main router?

Back
Top Bottom