Extending the garden - permission, neighbours and any other potential dramas

Soldato
OP
It looks an odd driveway because there's then a visible gap to the left which you'd assume was another boundary, where does the house exist for this driveway.

It looks shared, but if it's like ours it's not classed as a shared drive. Whilst they exist side-by-side, each neighbour owns their respective half with no rights over the other half.

A shared driveway was typically a thing for older houses that had garages at the rear, and a single width driveway going between the houses for access. In these situations both neighbours would have equal rights, and typically a covenant would be in place to prevent parking/blocking someone in.
It belongs to the house next to mine (to the south in the picture). It's exactly as you described, looks a shared driveway but very much classed as 2 separate, my land and their land.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not a massive amount, just trying to maximize the garden space for me and my lad. Seems on the face of it a pretty straight forward thing to do with a bit of graft.
aye, just move the fence to enclose whatever part of drive you want to. but as it's a shared drive area i'd defo speak with neighbours, just to let them know what i was planning on doing, as a courtesy if nothing else.

Soldato
Exactly - not a shared driveway so no need to let the neighbours know or get their approval.

A.sjared driveway is one where more than one residence uses the same drive or part of it e.g. a "common" access which then splits off further up into 2 drives. The common bit is shared.

Back
Top Bottom