External dvd writer that supports >8x write speed?

Soldato
Are there any? Looking to get a usb dvd writer, most of them seem to be usb 2 and limited to x8 write speed for dvds. I saw a couple that were usb 3, but still limited to x8, even though usb 3 easily has the speed for x16.

I don't mind if it needs external power. Are there any or if I want >x8, is buying an internal and sticking it in a caddy or using a powered usb3 to sata adapter the only way.

Thanks.

Don
Hadn't noticed tbh, but looking around it does seem to be a limitation of the form factor - possibly the small height and typical spindle loading mechanism can't cope with the increased vibration from a higher speed.

A 5.25" enclosure would be your best bet, but increasingly hard to get hold of (due to low demand) e.g. something like this:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/icyb...cd-dvd-and-3.5-hdd-ib-550stu3s-hd-097-bt.html

Soldato
OP
Most 5.25 caddies seem to be £50+, I guess because they are rare :(.

Quite a few powered sata to usb 3 powered adapters around that say they support ODD. A review for one specifically says was bought to use a sata blu-ray drive and works fine, same transfer rates as internal. Only £20 for those, so a bit more resonable, but not as neat. DVD drive doesn't really need a housing anyway, just not as neat.

Would think there would be a market for a slightly fatter external drive to do x16, rather than just all copy each other and go same form factor and exact same limitations. Nothing for any drive to stand out above others, just clones of each other.

Associate
If you don't want to buy a caddie and don't care about appearance then buy one of these to plug in HDD and 5.25 drives externally via SATA/eSATA. I've used one for DVD/blu-ray drives with no problems.

2-ports-esata-power-sata-cable-4-pin-power-bracket-newfroggyonline-1207-08-NewfroggyOnline@1.jpg

Need to check that you BIOS supports hot swappable SATA first though if you want to connect and disconnect them.

Back
Top Bottom