External HDD

Associate
Hi,

I recently bought an external HDD from the MM - with a laptop hard drive in it.

Pretty much since day one, on occasion it has wound up and down on the HDD a few times when connected to the USB port, then been ok.

Today when i've come to use it the drive is just winding up and down constantly, it wont work properly.

Is it borked??

Cheers,

M

Soldato
I dont think your problem lies with the Drive.

Laptop Hard Drives, require 5 volts of power and this is usually delivered from the USB port it is connected to, however if you have other things plugged in (Flash Pen, Camera etc) this can draw power away from the drive.

If your drive caddy came with a double USB connection then please use both, and make sure that you have it plugged into a USB 2.0 (enhanced) connector.

It could also be that your connecter is goosed. Happened with me and I simply bought a new connector and hey presto - working drive. I have been using mine now for over a year with no problems (except on older USB 1.1 ports on older machines)

Associate
OP
Swordfish said:
I dont think your problem lies with the Drive.

Laptop Hard Drives, require 5 volts of power and this is usually delivered from the USB port it is connected to, however if you have other things plugged in (Flash Pen, Camera etc) this can draw power away from the drive.

If your drive caddy came with a double USB connection then please use both, and make sure that you have it plugged into a USB 2.0 (enhanced) connector.

It could also be that your connecter is goosed. Happened with me and I simply bought a new connector and hey presto - working drive. I have been using mine now for over a year with no problems (except on older USB 1.1 ports on older machines)

Well blow me down.

Thanks very muchly - works now! :)

M

Soldato
No probs

Glad to help.

Another tip tho ....

Ensure that you have the drive enabled for quick removal. That way you dont need to worry when you disconnect it.

Back
Top Bottom