External Monitor for MacBook Pro (M1 Pro)

Soldato
I've been given a new MacBook Pro as a replacement for my ageing 27" iMac. It's been paired with a Dell U2723QE in the office (which is great) but the company won't stretch to another whilst working from home. After much sulking I've decided to get myself something as I can't really work effectively on a 14" screen, especially the photoshop heavy stuff.

Ideally I'd like something that uses the USB-C/display port connector without an adaptor and is IPS, 2560x1440 or above. I'd like to keep it sub £250 if possible but would go slightly above that if needs be.

Suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

Soldato
@Arcane would you mean if hijack your thread slightly?

My MacBook Pro M1 is connected via a Caldigit thunderbolt element which is running to 2 monitors both QHD 27 inch one is a Dell running at 144hz. I use this set up for work on a daily basis.

I would like keep the Dell monitor as a second monitor and bring in a 32 inch 4k monitor to use with my Mac and PS5. My Ps5 basically gets used for Fifa and very occasionally Call of duty.

What should I be buying? I have spent about 4 weeks going round in circles so some help is needed :p
  • Apple Studio monitor 27 inch could I connect this a second monitor via the Caldigit? Would it work ok on the PS5? Only 60hz
  • Dell G3223Q 32 inch 4k 144 Hz but no USB C connection
  • Dell U3223QE only 60 HZ but is part of Ultra sharp range so picture should be good and has USB C hub
  • Dell 32 4k SE3223Q only 60 Hz far cheaper as its without the built in hub. Will the picture quality be worse than the 2 other Dell monitors?
  • Something else?
Understand budget is all over the place but primary concern is getting the correct monitor for what I have described rather than going over budget.

Associate
I use S3423DWC with my macbook pro m1 (can be had for just over £300 with discounts from dell). Works great with the built in USB hub/KVM to connect macbook with 1 cable for charging and display/usb and my PC and have the monitor swap my keyboard and mouse between them as needed.

Soldato
I wouldn't be getting the Studio monitor, it's terrible VFM and you're going to struggle to get it working with a PS5.
Disregarded and thanks for confirming what I already suspected :)
I use S3423DWC with my macbook pro m1 (can be had for just over £300 with discounts from dell). Works great with the built in USB hub/KVM to connect macbook with 1 cable for charging and display/usb and my PC and have the monitor swap my keyboard and mouse between them as needed.
That monitor is QHD ultra wide isn't it? That would not play nicely with PS5
I bought this a few months ago and I absolutely love it, even if the display tech isn't very modern by today's standards.
That was my concern £900 for a relatively old tech even if the display is great also would I spending money on the USB C hub when I don't need it because of the Caldigit hub?

Thank you for the quick replies.

Soldato
That was my concern £900 for a relatively old tech even if the display is great also would I spending money on the USB C hub when I don't need it because of the Caldigit hub?

I see that it's £946 on Dell's site but there are always codes floating around. I paid £741 for mine, and my company contributed £350 towards it so perhaps I'm biased because it was "cheap" :)

Soldato
I see that it's £946 on Dell's site but there are always codes floating around. I paid £741 for mine, and my company contributed £350 towards it so perhaps I'm biased because it was "cheap" :)
I could stomach £741 just about, I've some googling for codes but the best I could find is 5% off.

How does the image quality compare with the Dell G3223Q?

Any other suggestions or ideas from anyone? @HACO am I remembering correctly you were quite knowledgeable on this stuff.

Thanks again for the replies so far

Soldato
I could stomach £741 just about, I've some googling for codes but the best I could find is 5% off.

How does the image quality compare with the Dell G3223Q?

Any other suggestions or ideas from anyone? @HACO am I remembering correctly you were quite knowledgeable on this stuff.

Thanks again for the replies so far

If your budget is ~£750 I recommend the Gigabyte M32U (~£650). It's 4K 144Hz, has USB-C and HDMI 2.1, and is a very decent monitor for both gaming and productivity. But don't get the 28" version (M28U) as that uses a BGR pixel layout, you'll have to turn the screen upside down and rotate everything 180 degrees to turn it into RBG, otherwise text will look horrible.

GCC

GCC

Associate
@HACO you seem to be the knowledge on this one. I’m looking at selling off my pc tower to fund a full move to my mbp 14”. If the budget is £1800 what’s your pick of the crop? Do you hold out for the lg ultra fine or are there other gems?

Soldato
@HACO you seem to be the knowledge on this one. I’m looking at selling off my pc tower to fund a full move to my mbp 14”. If the budget is £1800 what’s your pick of the crop? Do you hold out for the lg ultra fine or are there other gems?

As @Feek says if you can afford the Studio Display there are no better options for macOS.

Back
Top Bottom