Extreme Macro Photography Advice

Soldato
I want to get into this but a bit apprehensive before diving in. I'm reasonably adept at nature/bird photography, have done some basic macro (original thread a year ago + flickr account) but I do find long periods when I cannot get out either due to weather , 1 year old or time of the year. Getting into extreme macro would allow me some flexibility.

My item list so far:

Canon 65mm f2.8 MPE - £779
105mm sigma f2.8 + Raynox 250 filter -£359 + £64
Focusing rail - £25
Flash - recommendations - x2? ring?
Diffuser - recommendations - new? home made?
Tripod - at present I'm content with a monopod for the 7dii and 150-600mm, would like one which is future proof for both a 500mm prime (well down the line) and macro. Something sturdy and reliable. Recommendations?

Quite a few areas of expertise required:

1. How difficult are we talking here? I know the MPE requires some patience but I understand the process of multiple shots at <micro mm changes to eventually stack. An area I haven't touched is flash and lighting. Background colour cards. Advice would be appreciated.

2. Specimens - it's winter, not ideal time to start (the 105mm I plan to get anyway for next spring for when I'm out and about). If anyone has done this any tips? Do you order extravagant specimens? Chill live insect?

3. Do I go for it and get the MPE or get the middle ground 105 and try out a raynox filter?

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
I would be tempted to try a reversed prime if you already own one.

Won't really cost you much and you can get good results if you use a focus rail.

For extreme macro the mpe is excellent but it's only really good for static subjects.

Soldato
I was getting some okay photos years ago with my tokina 100mm and extension tubes. I also made a custom light bracket that held two sb600's either side of the lens.

If I were still into photography as much as I used to be I'd get the MPE in a heart beat. For extreme macro it's arguably the best choice.

I'd forget about a tripod straight away for any thing other than still life macro. I wouldn't even use a mono pod.

My set up with both flashes was pretty damn heavy but it helped to reduce camera shake a lot.

Biggest thing is patience and lots of it, then after that technique comes in. learning how to approach insects not to cause them to flee is the hardest part.

Most of my macrography is on my flickr HERE

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies. I like the pics fames especially of that jumping spider. Hope i can find one this time of the year....

Since my original post I've decided I'll probably go for the 105mm sigma and a Raynox 250. Will allow me to use the 105mm easily for less extreme macro and a cheap 250 Raynox to test out the more extreme end.

Flash wise I think I'm tempted by the yongnuo 600ex rt which is almost equivalent to the canon version but a fraction of the price.

Famas your flash setup seems to work well. What are you thoughts about the above speedlite and a diffuser?

I do want to try some serious stacking with still life. Just need to read up on where to order dead insects and how to preserve and make them look more alive....

Last edited:
Soldato
to be honest buddy I'm so out of the loop now I don't know whats what. Also not clued up on Canon at all.

Have a look into extension tubes as well as mag filters.

You can buy manual extension tubes for a tenner but you get a lot of light fall off with them so unless it's super bright you won't be able to see through the view finder.

The better option is auto extension tubes. Think mine are Kenko which don't suffer from light fall off. I also added a x2 converter to the tubes which gets really close but things start getting tricky from there.

Any flash will work fine, the tricky part is getting it set up in the right position which is normally close to the end of the lens thats why a lot of people like ring flashes. I was never a fan though as with my custom bracket I had a lot more control over the light direction.

I'll see if i can dig out a picture of it.

Soldato
OP
I did consider extension tubes but prefer the Raynox as it is essentially a magnifier. You don't get the other problems.

I'm hoping I can get the flash flexed 180 degrees over the top with diffuser pointing downwards. Only issue with this setup is it may scare away any critters.

Soldato
Not sure if its the same with the Raynox but magnifying filters where not recommended as they often caused a big reduction in clarity and sharpness, blurring towards the edge of the frame and an increase in chromatic aberration.

Extension tubes don't suffer from these effect as badly.

nearly all of the photos I took where of living insects. Like I say there is a lot of patience involved, not scaring them away was the biggest challenge.

Soldato
I don't do extreme macro, just macro.

My main camera is a Nikon D850 and the 100mm Nikon Macro.

I use a Nikons closeup speedlights, also have a ring flash but the ring produces a more clinical look imo but in some circumstances can be good. If in a controlled area I have standard speedlights. All of which are diffused in some way or other.

I had/have a focus rail however the Nikon D850 now does focus stacking automatically and from what I've tried so far does a pretty good job. Although a rail is good if you have the time in a controlled environment.

I'd say head over to the Macro section on the Talkphotography forums and there is a kit section. A lot of the decent images are taken with home made lighting setups.

Back
Top Bottom