Extremely worried about my insurance claim

Man of Honour
I've only skimmed the thread but this raises an interesting point for me. I work from home, my normal place of work is my home office. Twice a month I travel to the main head office which is about a 220 mile round trip. I need to check my policy but I don't ever remember having to specify commuting before. Should I be concerned if my policy doesn't specify it?

Previously when I didn't work from home I always had business cover but when I was made redundant, I removed that from my policy on renewal.

Surely you need business use for work travel to a place that isn't your base.

Associate
Yeah Feek, any travel to a business location that isn't your normal working location for business purposes should have business cover. Stupid, but there it is.

Associate
the op needs this.

sYkVx8U.png

actually its a good plan once given to me by a councellor.

action plan bit phone insurance don't ask a load of old farts on a internet forum what to do. :p

Soldato
For anywhere other than a single point of work, business should be added to the policy.

Thought it was like this for many years. I don't as I have a static head office where I work, my partner ddoe as she's visits a potentially different location daily.

Associate
So everyone who goes to work in their car is commuting. I thought that meant to another city. Looks like a lot of people (including me) are under insured.

Soldato
So everyone who goes to work in their car is commuting. I thought that meant to another city. Looks like a lot of people (including me) are under insured.
Yes, simply put if you drive to work you are using your car for commuting and should be insured as such. Nothing to do with how far.

If you drive for work, during work or to get to various places at work you probably need business use.

Soldato
Frankly they should just scrap SDP and and leave the minimal as SDPC, for the little extra it costs, they would actually be a able to lower the cost for everyone across the board.

Soldato
As a teacher my wife has about 250 business miles in case she travels to a school paid conference or needs to transport some stuff for a school trip.

Man of Honour
Why would commuting specifically mean travelling to another city?

For all the people saying "when did they sneak this under the radar?" - they didn't. It's been there since I started at least since I started driving in 1997.

Soldato

For all the people saying "when did they sneak this under the radar?" - they didn't. It's been there since I started at least since I started driving in 1997.

I am sure it was not there when I started driving in 1970, but as to when it began, I am not sure.

Man of Honour
It wasn't there when I started driving in the late 1980's. But it's certainly been there for the last 20 years or so.

Man of Honour

Well definitely some of the options/presentation has changed anyhow as it nearly caught me out a couple of weeks back or so - if I hadn't been doing multiple car versus van comparisons and double checking the actual needs of social versus business use on van insurance I might not have noticed or even thought about it at all. (fortunately I've not been previously "under" insured in this way).

Associate
OP
If you are driving from work (after a shift) and not going home, but instead going to a friend's house or whatever, is that still classed as commuting?

Back
Top Bottom