Extremely worried about my insurance claim

Associate
OP
I do wonder how some people, sniff, you know.....life.
So if you left work and were going on holiday straight after, and you drove to the airport 150 miles away and had an accident, you'd still be classed as commuting would you? Because you'd have left your place of work originally. Seems daft to me

Man of Honour
So if you left work and were going on holiday straight after, and you drove to the airport 150 miles away and had an accident, you'd still be classed as commuting would you? Because you'd have left your place of work originally. Seems daft to me
Then I will phone all the insurance companies tomorrow and tell them this. Not understanding something is not understanding, not wrong because you don't understand.

Caporegime
No, that trip would likely be classed as pleasure, however you had to get to work in the first place, thus still requiring commuting on your policy.

It's also possible (shock horror) to drive somewhere for social or domestic purposes, and THEN subsequently drive somewhere for business purposes! You simply need cover that includes all of your potential use cases, not a black and white rule book for each drive.

Man of Honour
For a tenner I have to ask, why wouldn't you?

This is a forum for overclockers, people who will spend vast amounts on make an extra few FPS.

Fully comprehensive, business and pleasure is surely a minimum for anyone not insuring something work 500 quid?

Associate
It always has been as long as I can remember (and I've been driving for 18 years)

'Social, Domestic and pleasure'
'Social, domestic, pleasure and commuting'
'Business'

I have to get business as I occasionally have to use my car for work, during work hours.

They then ask you how many of the miles you've put down (e.g. 12k) are business and how many are social.

What is the difference between Social, Domestic and pleasure?
Do insurance companies give a definition of what each means?

Associate
So everyone who goes to work in their car is commuting. I thought that meant to another city. Looks like a lot of people (including me) are under insured.

Worse than that you could be breaking the law, if your not covered to drive to work your driving with no insurance!

Soldato
Social - Driving to the pub.
Domestic - Driving to the tip.
Pleasure - Bouncing off the limiter while pulling mad skids around your favourite country roads.

Man of Honour
In uninsured ignorant bliss? :D

I can't believe how many people have totally missed that dropdown option when they buy insurance that mentions "commuting" fair enough not selecting it but to have totally missed it and be shocked by its existence is pretty special.

Associate
Social - Driving to the pub.
Domestic - Driving to the tip.
Pleasure - Bouncing off the limiter while pulling mad skids around your favourite country roads.

Okay how about taking your partner to the tip, Or driving your Mum to the tip. Or they work at the tip does that now make it a commute?. Could be defined in different ways but your still driving to the tip.

Driving is driving and having to define the purpose of why your driving is just rather silly and unneeded.

Man of Honour
Driving is driving and having to define the purpose of why your driving is just rather silly and unneeded.
Not really, in terms of commuting it makes it more probable that you will be driving in peak hours i.e. around when the 9 to 5 crowd start/finish which means you're at higher risk of an accident due to larger volumes of traffic and half asleep drivers.

Caporegime
Okay how about taking your partner to the tip, Or driving your Mum to the tip. Or they work at the tip does that now make it a commute?. Could be defined in different ways but your still driving to the tip.

Not really, there is more chance of being involved in an incident during rush hour due to sheer number of other people on the road at the same time, that's why commuting exists on policies.

Soldato
For a tenner I have to ask, why wouldn't you?

This is a forum for overclockers, people who will spend vast amounts on make an extra few FPS.

Fully comprehensive, business and pleasure is surely a minimum for anyone not insuring something work 500 quid?

It was about £1.5k extra to add business cover when I was younger, which is a fair amount for a teenager. I suspect most younger drivers who commute to work either live in ignorance or deliberately lie to their insurance and would tell the police they were driving to a mate’s house in the event of an accident.

Man of Honour
Not really, there is more chance of being involved in an incident during rush hour due to sheer number of other people on the road at the same time, that's why commuting exists on policies.

Bit indiscriminate mind - some people work night shifts, etc. when the roads are empty - bet they don't get a discount.

Soldato

I was just being silly. But it's obvious that "social, domestic and pleasure" means "driving anywhere other than to and from work" and "commuting" means "driving to and from work".
But to answer your question, it would come under SDP. You're just driving someone...somewhere. And as @PiKe has pointed out, the reason they split the types of driving is because if you use your car to commute, then there is a higher chance that you are driving regularly, at peak times, and thus are a higher risk.

Back
Top Bottom