F1 2010 season: Your thoughts

Soldato
So a great f1 season full of all the things that make it great and not so great.
Best car/driver won and another new wdc champion. Got give kudos to the bbc for such good coverage. What did you guys think of it?

Best part: Open championship until the end.
Worst part: Leggard.
Best race: Canada GP

Caporegime
It was good that it went down to the last race but Vettel should really have had the drivers title sewn up months ago but for a few errors and poor car reliability.

For next year I'd like to see a season where there is no significantly dominant team, Ferrari boringly dominated for years and now we've just just had back to back seasons of Brawn (2009) and Red Bull (2010) who each were pretty much untouchable for much of the season.

I've enjoyed the humerous BBC coverage, post-race forum and the Five Live practice coverage.

Associate
After a shocking opening race where it appeared that it would be the dullest F1 season ever it has been quite a turn around. The age old difficult to overtake issue spoilt things abit and certain tracks really didn't help the issue. Personally think the wrong Red Bull driver won the title but at the end of the day you have to be in it to win it and Webber couldn't keep it together when it really counted. Got my fingers crossed that Legard will not be making a return next season, so many mistakes, things missed etc. Rosberg/Hamilton in Korea stands out where he had no idea what was going on and the Trulli wing incident was cringe worthy. I did honestly believe Brundle was going to say something, his laugh was priceless and you could tell he was biting his lip.

Fav Race: Canada.
Fav overtake: Will have a look, no doubt something by Kobayashi.
Best Crash: Has to be Webber in Valencia.
Best stupid mistake: Yamamoto setting off his cars fire extinguishers instead of adjusting the brake bias.

Soldato
Very interesting season really. Everyone expected good things at McLaren but both Ferrari and RB have had exceptional seasons.
Also the return of MSc and his subsequent poor performances, repeatedly being outdone by Rosberg.

Best part: Open championship until the end (yeah, I agree with elmuzzy)
Worst part: Would have liked to see Button/Hamilton win again, but there's plenty of time.
Best race: Don't have one.

I would like to see rules that encourage more attacking and overtaking next season. Bringing back refueling in races so that there's none of this "fuel conservation" crap.

Then again I think the FIA have made a lot of silly little decisions over the past few years, it's quite a testamount to the sport that it's still quite entertaining.

Caporegime
The FIA Should mandate fuel tank sizes and the tank must be full at the start of the race.

Anyway, best part was Alonso acting like a smug git all weekend and then the epic fail of him not winning. And then he gesticulated at Petrov for not yielding or something. What did he expect? it was for position! Would have preferred Webber as i don't rate Vettel as a 'Racer'. Technically he's excellent and he's fast as hell, but put him at a disadvantage in a race, start him from the midfield and he doesn't have it in him to pass cars. I struggle to remember any race where he's made successful passes through the field due to starting down low. Jenson, Webber and Lewis (and Koba!) are all better 'racers'.

Favouriate race was probably Canada too. No coincidence that's where the softer tyre fell apart after 10-12 laps mixing the field up dramatically and we saw some decent racing!

Next Season the F-Duct will be banned and KERS is coming back, with a bigger power boost as well. They'll also have this adjustable rear wing business but that's a disaster waiting to happen.

Permabanned
I think it got hyped up beyond belief. If you took an average of excitement over all the races i think you would get a figure closer to 0 than 10. Everyone likes to mention how the title chase came down to the last race, but really, all it came down to was q3, and the first pit stop.

With motorbike races, if a racer is 1 second a lap quicker than the bike in front, he will overtake him through a corner, in F1 however, 1 second will just create a frustrated driver behind a road block and create many frustrated viewers at how useless the cars are and how useless the tracks are. If it wasn't for the mandatory tire change in dry races, I don't think there would be much point holding the race at all.

When f1 does have a good race, it is a very good spectacle, alas the good races are dwarfed by the boring races which unfortunately puts a bit of a dampener on the whole season.

Soldato
An enjoyable season, Real anti climax with the boring race (two on track over takes?)

Redbull really should have sealed the championship well before they did with the car being so strong for most of the season.

Hope next season Mclaren, Ferrari and Mercedes also are strong from the get go,
Hope we don't see one team with a car 1sec faster even with a average F1 driver behind the wheel.

Fav race: Canada
Fav overtake: Not sure maybe Sutil in the Singapore race right after Lewis and Webber had gotten it so wrong.
Best Crash: Has to be webbers flying lesson.
Worst moment for me: Lewis stuffing his right front into Massa (?) and getting DNF (can't remember track)

What we all want is more overtaking, Some of the races really are silly boring.

Soldato
Best stupid mistake: Yamamoto setting off his cars fire extinguishers instead of adjusting the brake bias.

Do you have a link to this, I have completely missed it. Sounds brilliant.

A good season overall, probably won by the deserving driver, even with some of the **** ups he had the majority of reliability issues when way out in front. Shame Hamilton/Button/Webber didn't win the title, but McLaren didn't have a great season with the car having ups and downs and never really being the outright quickest car except for possibly at Canada.

Hopefully next season will be more competitive and will encourage a good bit of consistency and reliability rather than hoping for others to **** up. be nice to see a proper qualifying where you don't just expect one of the two red bulls to be on top.

Fav race: Canada or possibly Turkey for Red Bull rage! :D
Best Crash: Has to be webbers flying lesson.
Worst moment: Hamilton stuffing it into Massa at Monza, think this is where his title challenge really started to go downhill. Hope he learns from it for next season.

P.S Please don't let legard commentate for BBC1 next year!

Soldato
Best part: The fact that 4 drivers were in the title race until the penultimate GP, and 3 drivers were in it in the last GP.

Favourite race: Italian GP. I really enjoyed the Button v Alonso battle at the beginning of the race.

Best crash: Webber going head over heels in Valencia.

Man of Honour
Certainly a random season with A LOT of driver mistakes, but great coverage from the BBC.

Best part: All of the drama!
Favourite quote: "Red Bull gives you wings, unless you are Mark Webber"
Worst part: Leggard, by a mile. His comment yesterday about the rear wing offended me.
Best race: Canada GP

Expecting Ferrari and Red Bull to be strong and fighting next season.

Soldato
They really have to fix overtaking and please get rid of Singapore stupid street circuit who ever gets pole there is a guaranteed winner. Favourite race probably Canada, favourite overtake has to be alonso on massa just a split second before the pit stop to beat him to it lol

Soldato
You know what occurred to me as a good highlight of the season the other day?

Alonso booting Massa out of the way in the pitlane in [what the hell race was it?]. You don't need team orders to show exactly who was boss that day. Alonso showed Massa who was in charge pretty quickly.

Would have preferred Webber as i don't rate Vettel as a 'Racer'. Technically he's excellent and he's fast as hell, but put him at a disadvantage in a race, start him from the midfield and he doesn't have it in him to pass cars. I struggle to remember any race where he's made successful passes through the field due to starting down low.
China or Britain?

Last edited:
Associate
Do you have a link to this, I have completely missed it. Sounds brilliant.

Will have a dig around, think it was Germany. He had a blinding start too, rocketed away from the line until the car hit the pit limiter which he had managed to turn on during the parade lap :D

*edit* Was the German GP, was not the fire extinguishers though. He hit the fire switch which cut all power on the car.

Last edited:

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
The morning after.

Feel a bit let down to be honest. :(
I had no preference on which driver won the title i just wanted a decent race, I feel robbed.
I just cannot believe after a season like we just had it ended like that. :(

Associate
I'd call the season intriguing rather than exciting. There was a lot to talk about, but most of the time it didn't happen on the track come Sunday afternoon/early morning.

Thanks should be given to Red Bull Racing for keeping the championship battles so close! The RB6 should have had the WCC wrapped up by Japan, with the WDC to be decided in-house. However, it was those mistakes (from all the contenders/teams) that provided the talking points and kept the season open, not the changes to the cars of the new points system.

Congratulations to RBR/Vettel; they got the most points, so they are deserved champions. As an added bonus they can favour Vettel openly, if it suits their image! However, the sadist in me was looking forward to the explosion of rage if Alonso won it! It's a shame that such a callous person is one of the best drivers on the grid, right? ;)

BBC coverage was great, but I have been bored by the pre/post-race content, especially with the need to ramp up the "epicness" come the end of the season. I was listening to the 5 Live team whenever I could. Less Coulthard/Jordan/Leggard, more Kravitz/Croft/Davidson*/Chandhok* please

*Their own racing careers notwithstanding!

Best part - Horner [not] spinning RBR out of Turkey/Britain, then watching Ferrari ignore criticism from Germany! How nice it must be to not give a **** about your image ...
Worst part - The washout that was almost the Korean GP. We can't race, but we want to. So we'll follow the safety car for a few laps (!)
Best race(s) - Canada/Belgium; two races dominated by adverse conditions. Jean Todt, take note.
Worst race(s) - Bahrain/Abu Dhabi. The season ends with as boring a race as it started.

Maybe next year the higher ups will finally click that it's the cars' sensitivity to their front wings (which have handily increased in size...) that creates such dull races? Heh, I didn't think so either.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Rubbish year mostly, what are you guys talking about, almost every result being decided on when you pit, how badly your tires wear, if random car Y decides to do 52 laps on his first set of soft tires rather than 20 laps like everyone else.

Horrible season, SOME great driving, very little real competition between cars. Red Bulls with massive domination and only in team fighting and two stupid fighting drivers stopped them winning it ages ago. Potentially cheating Red Bulls that were just never caught, with the one race with "uber wing extra special testing" their wing seeming VERY different and the car hugely less competitive, dodgey to say the least.

A few weird wet races causing excitement, but again very little due to on the actual track great driving.

What I'd KILL for in F1, something that would make me enjoy races rather than feel like I'm sitting through a Blackburn vs Bolton thrilling 0-0 draw every week, is cars that can overtake each other.

These cars need to be nerfed in corners, Red Bull type grip in corners, high speed cornering, its killing racing. You need the cars to be harder to stop into corners, hugely less grip, mistakes to happen more often, so hugely more over taking chances will occur in races.

I want to see a Red bull overtaken by a McClaren who then gets back past a few corners later, and this goes on for a whole race.

Safety cars, utterly ruin F1, forced pit stops, different tires, that ultimately seem to make no different, with plenty of "long runners" utterly ruining races with the ridiculous outcomes.

I'm no Alonso fan, but that race would have been more exciting if Kubica's tires actually caused him to have to pit at some point, if Petrov and co didn't all dive in at the safety car, then we'd have had some REAL racing between Alonso, the McClarens, and Vettel, and probably Webber throughout the race.

This getting stuck behind slow cars for entire races, is awful for racing, its boring, it makes races uncompetitive, when people can do pitstops due to ridiculous safety cars it ruins races for half the people every time, its becoming a joke. Stop pit stops under safety cars, or make every safety car 3 laps long minimum so both cars on a team can pit under the safety car AND maintain their position behind the safety car, so Vettel could have come in and lined back up in 1st.

Soldato
I really enjoyed this season, there were some boring races but for the most part there always seemed to be some drama happening.

Personally would have liked Webber to have clinched it, i'd be surprised if he ever gets another chance.
Vettel i definitely did NOT want to win, but i guess he was likely to win it at some point.

Hoping next year with KERS and the adjustable rear wing overtaking will be more possible, and i hope the teams are a bit closer.

Soldato
Final race was dull and with a cringe-worthy lead up only for the wrong guy to win it.

Almost as annoying as people who still don't know how many C's are in McLaren.

Back
Top Bottom