F1 Commentary team

Soldato
Brundle is good but he is not a main commentator, they need some else to do the majority of the talking with Brundle offering expert insight and analysis, like the old days.

Legard is absolute tosh. He commentates like its the grand national and seems to only have a very simple understanding or the rules and technicalities. He is the worst i've seen in my 18 years watching the sport. I hated James Allens Lewis bias, but he is a great journalist, so i'm not how much of his on screen stuff was dictated to him by ITV.

Anthony Davidson is very good on Free Practices on iplayer, and Jenson was great when he was on a few years ago.

Man of Honour
If the BBC wanted to do it I think that Brundle could definitely fill the role of main commentator.

I quite like the current BBC setup - Jake Humphrey is a likeable frontman, DC has taken to TV like a duck to water, EJ provides the "crazy old man" comic relief, Ted Kravitz provides good pitlane insight, Lee McKenzie is ok now she's stopped using the word "devastated" in every sentence, Brundle is a good solid backup man/analyst..... it's just Leggard I don't really like - as englishpremier says he often sounds more like a horse racing commentator.

James Allen is a very good journo - should he be given another chance?

Soldato
worst thing about leggard is his shouty voice

brundle " vettels the first to complete a flying lap"

leggard in his shouty voice "CAN VETTEL GO FASTEST AND HE DOES!"

Caporegime
To the OP point it's leggard that won't let it go regarding MS. If you watch china again, listen to how many times he rubs it in any time MS is mentioned.

I actually despised MS and everything he stood for in wheel to wheel racing in his first career. In this one I actually have started to feel sorry for him and hope he wins every race for the rest of the year, just to shut them up. Especially the Uk F1 press who cannot get enough of his apparent lack of form.

I'd honestly rather have fathead back than this leggard ****.

Man of Honour
Does anyone else think that the commentary team, in particular Brundle are letting their opinions of schumacher's performances cloud their "unbiased" commentaries, and in turn give poorer quality commentary?

I am a fan of schumacher in general, i havent been impressed with his performances so far this season but i dont allow my like/dislike of him to spoil my enjoyment of the grand prix.

Opinions?

He is under performing, Brundle is calling it thus, nothing more.

Soldato
I think the Schumacher comments have all been fair. You can't just take his performances out of context, you wouldn't do that with any other driver would you? There's no doubt that he's one of the best and most competitive drivers F1 has ever seen, and he's achieved so much in the sport it's impossible to put aside. Even when they've rated his performance thus far, it's been very fair. Not sure if you watch the F1 forum after the chinese gp OP, but they were in the Mercedes trailer and the topic was discussed, albeit chickening out at asking Norbert Haug if Schumacher should just retire, but I do think that was a stupid question at this stage.

Caporegime
I think the Schumacher comments have all been fair. You can't just take his performances out of context, you wouldn't do that with any other driver would you? There's no doubt that he's one of the best and most competitive drivers F1 has ever seen, and he's achieved so much in the sport it's impossible to put aside. Even when they've rated his performance thus far, it's been very fair. Not sure if you watch the F1 forum after the chinese gp OP, but they were in the Mercedes trailer and the topic was discussed, albeit chickening out at asking Norbert Haug if Schumacher should just retire, but I do think that was a stupid question at this stage.

have you heard some of the idiotic comments about schumacher from legard?
he was quite the whole time when webber and schumacher were pretty much the 2 fastest cars on the track they both did around 10 laps faster than rosberg until both cars wrecked the tyres and webber and schumacher started going slow.

as soon as schumachers tyres were obviously wrecked legard was straight in their with the critiscm and bashing about schumacher beeing XXX seconds slower than rosberg when it was obvious to everyone with the live timings open why it happened yet he didnt mention webber had exactly the same problem as schumacher and they both even pitted at the same time and wrecked the tyres in the same number of laps

Soldato
Yes, I've found some of his comments to be a little damming despite the context. However, the BBC have otherwise done a great job at a balanced take on this. I think in the pre-race build up in China there was also significant conversation beween DC, Jake and Norbert Haug about how he felt his drivers were performing, and as usual NH was very positive towards Schumacher, and I think rightly so, he hasn't thrown his toys out the pram (yet!) and generally is very professional when it comes to working with the team and producing a great car and great performances. We watched it countless times from when he started at Ferrari, perhaps with the exception of one season near the beginning.

Despite this, you can't argue that Rosberg hasn't done a fantastic job so far, he is a good consistent driver to have as a team mate and only seems to be getting faster. I can see why Schumi would find it difficult to keep up with the difference in miles they've done since the 2009 shakeup.

Legard though, he's a good commentator in terms of being vocal and passionate, but his F1 knowledge and observational skills are sometimes lacking, which is when Brundle chimes in and we regain our sanity. I see Legard as the commentator for the uneducated masses and those new to F1 - he tells people what the really want to hear rather than the sometimes boring truth behind issues that Brundle would tell you from experience (which I find more interesting as a dedicated fan). Perhaps Legard is a bit too sensationalist, but you can't argue that he provides a balance to the commentary that would otherwise be missing. There isn't a suitable replacement on the TV, and I don't listen to the radio commentary, perhaps I should try that out sometime.

Soldato
Curious, how did Brundle perform as an F1 driver? I've only recently, say last 4ish years watched F1 so its beyond me. Hes very critical of the way people drive at least so I assume he was pretty decent in his time?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Curious, how did Brundle perform as an F1 driver? I've only recently, say last 4ish years watched F1 so its beyond me. Hes very critical of the way people drive at least so I assume he was pretty decent in his time?

9 podiums in 158 starts. He was DQ'd from his first F1 season due to the nonsense with Tyrrell supposedly running their cars underweight. He was certainly decent enough that everyone was left scratching their heads when Benetton dropped him for Patrese in '93.

His racing elsewhere is more impressive. He won the '88 World Sportscar Championship (setting a record for points scored IIRC), he won the '90 Le Mans 24 Hrs, and he's the only British driver to have won an IROC Series race.

Caporegime
He was certainly decent enough that everyone was left scratching their heads when Benetton dropped him for Patrese in '93..

flavio or whoever it was apologised to him many years later saying they didnt realise he looked bad because schumacher was so fast they just thought brundle was slow.

cant find anything about it on wiki but i remember reading it somewhere.

Associate
OP
He is under performing, Brundle is calling it thus, nothing more.

I agree that schumacher is under performing and i said that in my OP, however i still maintain that the commentary team are allowing their own views of his performances to get in the way of a good commentary.

And for what its worth i have to agree with what seems to be the majority, in general the whole team is very good, Jake Humphrey and coultard are both very good, Technically Brundle is good, the only weak link is Leggard.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I hate the way Leggard does his Jerry Springer moment whenever the lead car comes to the final 3 corners..

"You have to believe in this man...just as he started last year, Jenson has made some expert descions... a mark of a true champion... the race may not have started his way... but now HE'S COMING AROUND THE FINAL CORNER FOR THE WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN. JENSON BUTTON WINS THE xxxx GP AND DOESN'T HE LOOK PRETTY111!!!!1!oNE!"

Associate
I think that the commentary team has been fair to Schumacher on the whole. If it was any old driver underperforming while their team mate - and one that's not considered to be an exceptional driver - was sitting second in the WDC after a series of solid drives, they'd still be critical. The only difference is that Schumacher garners a lot of attention so they talk about him more.

I think that Brundle does an excellent job, but I hope that Legard is replaced by someone like Ben Edwards at the end of the season. I like the Radio 5 commentary too, and do enjoy it during the free practice sessions but during the race itself I prefer listening to the main team.

Man of Honour
And Brundles well qualified to comment on drivers underperforming.

I agree that schumacher is under performing and i said that in my OP, however i still maintain that the commentary team are allowing their own views of his performances to get in the way of a good commentary.

And for what its worth i have to agree with what seems to be the majority, in general the whole team is very good, Jake Humphrey and coultard are both very good, Technically Brundle is good, the only weak link is Leggard.

He is paid to tell it as it is. If you asked him if he underperformed in F1 he would say on many occasions yes. All sport contains a lack of objectivity when peoples hero's, opposition and bias is concerned. I feel Brundle is one of the best at being objective, though this will be often lost on people who lack such objectivity, such as your average 'fan'. Only have to listen to the thickness that is a football phone in to see that at first hand! ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom