F1 vs GP motorbike

Man of Honour
For you, or a fan of MotoGP maybe, I've never watched a whole bike race, really have no interest in bikes full stop. I respect that they are fast and thrilling but they just aren't for me. There may be more overtaking etc etc, but if your not a fan of the sport it really doesn't matter how many overtakes there are you're probably not going to enjoy it.

This. I watched part of the MotoGP race a week or two ago and it wasn't interesting at all. The top four just followed each other in a line.

Associate
This. I watched part of the MotoGP race a week or two ago and it wasn't interesting at all. The top four just followed each other in a line.

I'm a big MotoGP fan, but with only 17 bikes on the grid, it can get dull quickly.
Sundays race was great due to the conditions, but for me one Moto2 is where it's at, 40 plus bikes on the grid = lots of action.

Soldato

I actually lol'd at this! Are you saying this is bad compared to F1 where every car on the grid follows each other along in a line for the ENTIRE RACE? :rolleyes:. When it gets to the point of losing a race because your pit team took 2 seconds longer to change a tyre, it's getting pretty dire. F1 has gone more and more down hill every year as they try to make it "safe".

Associate
bike's advantage is power to weight ratio

and f1 car are really light + they got 4 wheels so its a no brainer really

f1 is really boring to watch nowadays

whereas motogp you can never tell who can win or who will fall off.
even rossi fell off this sunday there!!!

Man of Honour
I wasn't comparing it to F1, I was replying to the "MotoGP is super amazing and the best sport in the world" comments :) Was just saying the race I saw, was pretty dull.

Soldato
For you, or a fan of MotoGP maybe, I've never watched a whole bike race, really have no interest in bikes full stop. I respect that they are fast and thrilling but they just aren't for me. There may be more overtaking etc etc, but if your not a fan of the sport it really doesn't matter how many overtakes there are you're probably not going to enjoy it.

I'm commenting as a fan of both sports having followed them for years. Bikes are generally more interesting than cars (for me) although I enjoy both.

When I say more exciting I mean more action. In most bike races the top 5 places change quite frequently. F1 is all down to pit stops, reliability or people crashing out.

Man of Honour
Any motor sport that removes the skill of controlling the chassis/frame from the driver/rider is less exciting in the main. When you rely so much on aero to control the way the car handles you are on a road to ruin as you are when you add traction aids and clever suspension when you seek close or exciting racing. F1 is the top of the sport but it's far from the best form of the sport in my book, always the same in my years of watching it too really though it was better in the 70's and 80's. The thing is with a modern F1 car is it always takes your breath away when you see one on track in anger, always has and always will I guess but I agree that Moto GP is more exciting racing.

Goodwood Revival 2.5 years back brought back my passion for the sport which had be waining for a few years when it came to live events. Each and every race that weekend was exciting, with cars dicing through the pack, making a great noise, looking great and handing from the days of drift and wheel working. Added to that was a circuit from a different age, dangerous yes but what a place to spectate and I realised then that motor sport is epic when done well. I feel sorry for those who's sole experience of motor sport is touring cars or F1 at Silverstone. It's an utter crap place to watch the sport in the main as you are so far away and removed from the track it feels remote.

Get to the Goodwood Revival (not the hillclimb) and see how car racing can be every bit as close and as exciting as Moto GP.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd like to go to the Revival sometime, went to the hill climb a couple of years ago.

On a side note, BTCC is looking to be good this season, and is pretty epic on ITV4 with almost a whole day of racing with Clios, Formula Renaults, Ginettas etc. This counter-balances the lack of overtaking in F1.

Caporegime
I think I might faint next weekend, Chinese GP AND BTCC from Donnington!

EDIT: DAMIT! Just remembered I have arranged to meet up with some friends on the Sunday for lunch :(. Will watch the F1 but the BTCC will have to be recorded.

Soldato
I'm a massive fan of Motogp, but as far as excitement goes, Moto2 and WSBK wee on it from a great height.

Even the worst Motogp race is 10x more exciting than F1 though.

Soldato
Set up for pure straight line speed an F1 car would murder a Veyron (and probably everything else). They simply need to turn the downforce (hence drag) down. Only the dragsters would stand a chance in a straight line, but I'm sure the F1 teams could stuff them too given half a chance.

I imagine a Veyron SS wouldn't have much trouble keeping up with an F1 car in a straight line. The performance of both is so close that any advantage one has over the other would be lost with a gear change or loss of traction (Veyron having an advantage here with 4WD and TC).

And "lol" at a dragster "only standing a chance" against an F1 car..... The dragster would make the F1 car look like a Micra 1.1 driven by a 90 year granny on her way to collect her pension (or one of the Hispania Racing Team cars at a race weekend)

Soldato
I don't know about that.

They Veyron SS does 1/4 in about 10 seconds. I think with a little tinker (ie set up for it) the F1 car could drop below 10 seconds easy.

Of course get into the high 100's and beyond the Veyron would come back on gearing.

Soldato
I ain't no fan of bikes, but i'm always going to be saying 'Car racing is more interesting'. Bike fans will replace 'car' with 'bike', but we've all got our own opinions. Mind, i'd like to see you get a flatpack home on your bike mind :p (and no, paying delivery doesn't count :D)

Soldato
What the hell has that got to do with Racing lol?? and I think you would be surprised at what people have managed to strap to their bikes!

I was into car racing for years before watching bike racing, I love F1 but its only 2 or 3 races a season that are awesome to watch, same goes for MotoGP now, I fall asleep for at least 60% of the race and miss barely anything, stayed awake for the Shanghai one, great race :D
Production car/bike racing is where the excitement is, World Superbikes and Supersport this weekend was a testament to that, Bring on BTCC Thruxton :D

Soldato
I ain't no fan of bikes, but i'm always going to be saying 'Car racing is more interesting'. Bike fans will replace 'car' with 'bike', but we've all got our own opinions. Mind, i'd like to see you get a flatpack home on your bike mind :p (and no, paying delivery doesn't count :D)

You ain't no fan of bikes. Doesn't that mean you are :p

As Fireskull said. What does that have to do with racing. It's a bit like saying I'd like to see you in your car filter through traffic as I do on my bike. Pointless.

Back on topic.

The F1 has awsome downforce which the bikes don't have. Wonder what it would be like if the F1 car had no wings/downforce. Yes I know that cripples the car but it would be interesting to see how it fairs..

Back
Top Bottom