F18 crashes into homes.

Commissario
l dump does just that, dumps it from the tanks onto whatever is below. Whilst dumping the fuel isn't ideal, it's usually better than leaving it on-board, as a lighter aircraft is easier to fly and it reduces the fireball on the ground.

Doesn't the way it gets dumped tend to mean it disperses a lot, due to the speed and way it's dispersed as it exits the dump valves?
IE at any height it doesn't so much come out as a line, but as a mist that gets spread apart rapidly by the wind? (I think the theory is, that if it's done at X height by the time it reaches ground level it's far too dispersed to be a problem).

Soldato
Doesn't the way it gets dumped tend to mean it disperses a lot, due to the speed and way it's dispersed as it exits the dump valves?
IE at any height it doesn't so much come out as a line, but as a mist that gets spread apart rapidly by the wind? (I think the theory is, that if it's done at X height by the time it reaches ground level it's far too dispersed to be a problem).

Die hard dictates otherwise :p

But having it as a mist would make more sense. Would people on the ground be affected at all if a plane dumped fuel onto them?

Commissario
Sorry I should have added the sarcasm tone to how I meant it, the Navy came out with that statement and I had a " no **** Sherlock" voice in my head lol.

Aye, that was my thought at the time I heard it on the news.
It's akin to the classic Soviet/Chinese "The dissident died of heart failure", where everyone ultimately dies of "heart failure".

Cleeecooo
IIRC they try to do it at a certain height normally to reduce the risk of igntion at ground level, and I suspect it could be nasty if you were close enough to the cloud, but it's probably not that bad if it's only short exposure.

Associate
By the sounds of it, would that make it a trainer or special variant?

IIRC the likes of Harriers are normally single seaters, but two seaters of fighters are often a training variant.

Not always. For example, Tornado's, F-15E's and the F/A-18 B, D and F models are all two seaters. Whilst some are configured for training mostly they are twin seat for operational reasons

Caporegime
Actually to get picky, it was designed to withstand fire, not explosions. It was the explosion that ripped away all the fire proof coating on the main structural supports, which resulted in the buildings collapsing from the heat.

to get picky he's talking about the reinforced concrete pentagon which interestingly has highly reinforced floors to support much more weight than normal because it was planned to be turned into a storage building after the war not the WTC :p

Back
Top Bottom