Face ID

Soldato
Will Apple drop Face ID immediately they figure out how to get under screen finger prints to work properly?

My wife is probably getting a new iPhone for her birthday and doesn't like the idea of having to pick her phone you every time she wants to unlock it.

Or will Apple stubbornly persist with Face ID for the next few iterations?

Associate
Nope Apple are very much all in with FaceID.
They didn't purchase the company behind Kinect and FaceID for nothing.

Apple had several options including moving the fingerprint to the back or to the side and they chose to drop it completely, I'd say that shows your their stance.

FaceID will go from strength to strength.

Soldato
OP
Is it feasible for Face ID to work in situations where the phone is on a desk nearby and you want to unlock it without picking the phone up? I must admit I don't know much about the technology, but I always found Touch ID to be vastly more convenient than any other unlocking method (I have a Galaxy S8 at the moment and it's a faff having to lift the phone)

Soldato
Is it feasible for Face ID to work in situations where the phone is on a desk nearby and you want to unlock it without picking the phone up? I must admit I don't know much about the technology, but I always found Touch ID to be vastly more convenient than any other unlocking method (I have a Galaxy S8 at the moment and it's a faff having to lift the phone)
I understand your annoyance, sometimes i try and lean over to my X to unlock it but it fails to unlock most of the time so i have to pick it up.

Soldato
Face ID is more secure than Touch ID, so no. Expect iPads (next models) and Macs to eventually adopt it.
It may be more secure but its undoubtedly less convenient and easy to use than a good old fingerprint scanner. Still very surprised Apple went down the face ID route as it makes their products harder to use than their previous technology.

Man of Honour
It may be more secure but its undoubtedly less convenient and easy to use than a good old fingerprint scanner. Still very surprised Apple went down the face ID route as it makes their products harder to use than their previous technology.

I'd argue the opposite. I think it's far more convenient.

I hated not being able to get in my phone if my finger or phone is slightly wet (which in this country with the rain we have, is quite a lot), or the finger print scanner has some how got something on it, and all the other frustrations I had with it. Face ID works perfectly, after a couple of weeks with the phone and it learning my face, I've not had any issues. The one inconvenience is not being able to unlock your phone if it's flat on your desk unless you look over it but that's only an issue at work, and stops me checking my phone so much :p

For the 99% of the times it works flawlessly, I find it so much better than TouchID

Soldato
With regard to the police wanting access to iphones for evidence, how easy would it be to simply point the phone at the suspect and unlock it?

Soldato
With regard to the police wanting access to iphones for evidence, how easy would it be to simply point the phone at the suspect and unlock it?

Fairly sure that wouldn't be legal without a court order, at which point its open the phone or go to prison anyway. If they did do it as you describe anything that was found within it wouldn't be admissible in court. Also what do you have to hide...?

Also if you look away it doesn't unlock but you knew that.....

As @Steedie said, it has other advantages. There was loads of this kind of talk when the X came out, it all died once people for bored going to absurd length to try and 'hack' it and actual users has the phones for a week or so and got used to it.

Soldato
With Attention Aware enabled you need to be looking directly at the screen so you could close your eyes.. otherwise if you hold the power button as if to turn off the phone and then swipe up to return to the home screen it will require a pin to re-enable Face ID.

Soldato
Fairly sure that wouldn't be legal without a court order, at which point its open the phone or go to prison anyway. If they did do it as you describe anything that was found within it wouldn't be admissible in court. Also what do you have to hide...?

Also if you look away it doesn't unlock but you knew that.....

As @Steedie said, it has other advantages. There was loads of this kind of talk when the X came out, it all died once people for bored going to absurd length to try and 'hack' it and actual users has the phones for a week or so and got used to it.

I was just being curious, I have an iP7 so I don't know how face id works

Soldato
That’s a massive bonus, Touch ID is really annoying when I’ve got rubber gloves on in the garage and I’m trying to research something or skip music tracks.

Soldato
Having just swapped my 6 to an X I must say at 1st FaceId seemed a ballache but it's been 3 days now and I'm starting to get used to it, also the swipe up to close an app rather than press the 'button' was strange to begin with.

I think FaceId will evolve but I have noticed it won't unlock my phone if I don't have my glasses on which in the middle of the night when half asleep has proved a problem the 1 time I was woken up by a message.

Permabanned
I dont understand why you would unlock a phone without looking at it?

I can't think of a valid reason to unlock your phone without doing something unless it was to give it to someone lol. Even then FaceID takes a second.

Having just swapped my 6 to an X I must say at 1st FaceId seemed a ballache but it's been 3 days now and I'm starting to get used to it, also the swipe up to close an app rather than press the 'button' was strange to begin with.

I think FaceId will evolve but I have noticed it won't unlock my phone if I don't have my glasses on which in the middle of the night when half asleep has proved a problem the 1 time I was woken up by a message.

No-one likes change. I like this change and is very welcome.

Caporegime
The probability that a random person in the population could look at your iPhone X and unlock it using Face ID is approximately 1 in 1,000,000 (versus 1 in 50,000 for Touch ID).

I don't know how Apple would backtrack from that statement now so I suppose Face ID is here to stay.

Back
Top Bottom