Facebook allowed me to claim a random business page

Soldato
So.... logged into Facebook for the first time in a while and at the top its asked me if i wanted to claim an interior design business Facebook page as mine.

Out of curiosity I clicked yes and clicked through a few screens and now I have control of the page and have the business owners email, private mobile and their address. How mental is it that you can randomly claim someone else's business page, especially when it has nothing to do me or my name. I could trash the page, close it or whatever and Facebook thought hey... lets ask this random person if they want it.

I'm thinking of firing an email to the ICO?

What would GD do?

Soldato
What would GD do?
liquidate the business. direct all assets to your own bank account. order 50 pizzas for the owners address. sign the owner up for a furry dating site. have the owner 'swatted' (don't!) the list is endless. but we need videos and pics for authentication, whatever you decide to do :p

Caporegime
Well now you're gonna hafta rename yourself, buy a new phone and learn how to design interiors.

These are the ways of the chosen ones, refusing would be... Unwise.

Soldato
I'd shoot the ICO an email. Don't make it obvious that curiosity got the better of you though. Just say something had popped up and before you could close it, it had allocated some business to you.

Clearly Facebook don't do due diligence when authenticating a business to a Facebook account.

Soldato
OP
I'd shoot the ICO an email. Don't make it obvious that curiosity got the better of you though. Just say something had popped up and before you could close it, it had allocated some business to you.

Clearly Facebook don't do due diligence when authenticating a business to a Facebook account.

I'm in the process of raising my concerns with the ICO and i have tried to report this to facebook but their support and reporting is so **** the only way i can get anything that isnt related to "Why don't my friends invite show up" is to raise a question in the support centre. Half their support is links to ****** guides that have nothing to do with the issues and anything related to security in the reporting is related to hacked accounts or other random stuff.

Soldato
That's a pretty big GDPR breach. Screw trying to contact Facebook support, go straight to ICO and let them deal with it. Probably not the first time it's happened and Facebook will sweep it under the carpet if you don't.

You haven't done anything wrong by just clicking yes on a box, Facebook have by offering you access. As long as you don't mess with anything...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lol im not going to **** with their page (although technically i guess i have by taking it on)

I can understand why, starting a new business with all the uncertainty in the markets due to Brexit might not be as appealing as before.

Maybe you made the right choice, maybe you didn't. I guess you'll never know now :(

Soldato
You may find the business was setup as a group page, the admin in charge has left facebook but the groups can stay behind. As they now have no admin they ask people in the group to take charge so that it can carry on.

I had this with a Stoke coding page, joined it, logged in one day and a pop up appeared asking me to take control so I did.

Caporegime
You may find the business was setup as a group page, the admin in charge has left facebook but the groups can stay behind. As they now have no admin they ask people in the group to take charge so that it can carry on.

I had this with a Stoke coding page, joined it, logged in one day and a pop up appeared asking me to take control so I did.
Does that mean you're now Lord Harvey, First Earl Baron Duke of Stoke or something?

It's only Stoke so you're welcome to it tho.

Back
Top Bottom