Facebook Buys Instagram for $1Bn

Associate
The majority of pictures taken with Instagram are uploaded to Twitter. It's a way of Facebook getting a foot in Twitter's back door. It also prevented the other large companies from acquiring it and its userbase.

Soldato
I have never been able to understand Instagram's popularity. I tried the app..."ooo bunch of sodding image filters to make my photos look 'hip' for 5mins" and uninstalled. I just couldn't understand why folks would want to ruin colourful images by lobbing a sepia filter at them.

It is an insane amount, but as said it does have a heap of users mostly on Twitter.

Soldato
Yep... I think Apple, Google, Facebook et all are all set for a correction. What strikes me about Apple is that unlike other competitors they have all their eggs in one basket, and they are in every stage of production of their stuff.

Microsoft just make the software, likewise with Google. Samsung have their fingers in many pies... but Apple make the software, the hardware, the retailing, the servicing, and they effectively control the content on it too.

The Facebook rot is already setting in, sure it's going to expand a whole lot more, but where it's already reached full capacity people are getting fed up with it. Add to that they still don't really know how to monetise all that traffic without losing the traffic.

Fashion will turn against Facebook and Apple etc... and that's going to really hurt their share value.

Yes to Facebook. I doubt it about Apple/Google/Microsoft. I could give reasons why not for each, but it's too early.

I don't see apple losing their fashion symbolness. Facebook, yes, but apple are in the tech business, they can change their products as technology moves. This is incredibly rare when it comes to social networking.

Just because I feel like playing devils advocate; we would have said the same thing about RIM five years ago, and look at them now. I don't actually agree, because Apple is more than just phones, but yeah...

In reality I think it's only the social networking side which is gaining large speculative prices.

Google, Apple, Microsoft have had solid revenue for ages. They are spending their massive cash reserves this time, rather than an IPO bubble as such happening.

The supposed market cap of facebook is built on speculative future revenues. Also the recent disguised IPO they had was wasted on Instagram? Just goes to show that there isn't really much room for it to grow imo.

edit:

I forgot about groupon, so I suppose there has been a recent IPO which has failed its initial public investors.

Agree entirely about apple etc... Was actually what I was coming in here to say.... Read an economist article very similar to this a while ago about apple being nothing like a bubble company.

Am more concerned about fb and apps though... Never even heard of instatgram, although ironically this will increase their publicity and usage...

kd

Soldato
I have never heard of them. I don't know where they get their valuation from. I bet they would have sold for a fraction of the sale price. Maybe facebook does that sort of thing to increase the value of facebook.

Facepalm.

And this is why the whole social network argument goes out the window. Instagram users just aren't using it in that manner, they're using it as a simple tool. As I said Dotcom bubble MkII.

They're not, actually. In terms of engagement (ie users browsing Intagram, commenting, liking on Instaram itself), numbers are through the roof.

It isn't just a tool - and that's why Facebook want to control it, because it is the only real and direct threat to one of Facebook's core value points out of the last five years.

Facebook isn't buying a community (most Instagram users are already Facebook users), it isn't buying an app, it isn't buying a tool, it isn't just doing an aqu-hire.

It is buying a mode of engagement that a substantial number of people (and more recently, businesses) are flocking to for life sharing. It is buying something so that others can't have it. That's why it paid twice the price Instagram was valued at last week by a consortium of technology VCs. That's why it will be maintaining Instagram as a separate brand and app.

As a shareholder, I'm glad it has.

Last edited:
Soldato
I see the Instagram user as predominantly a Twitter user. It's more than just an app, it's the basic conceptual difference between Facebook and Twitter. Twitter = follow someone, no need to ask their permission to stalk (therefore you tend to follow more celebrities /sports stars you are interested in). Instagram is the same. Facebook = ask someone for permission to stalk them, which stands to reason you have met/know one another to varying degree.

Facebook has been trying to move in that direction for some time now where you can "subscribe" to someone. This acquisition seems to me that Facebook is aggressively trying to blur the lines.
No doubt Facebook themselves could have coded the ability for users to edit photos, so that's certainly not what they went and bought for 1BN.

Soldato
Smells like a DotCom bubble is growing. Either that or Facebook really has gone bat**** mental.

I use Instagram to post photos on Twitter and to people on Instagram. As long as Facebook doesn't ruin that all is fine by me. Never posted to Facebook from Instagram.

One

One

Soldato
This is quite a smart move imo (not the 1bn price tag though, that's ridiculous). Instagram is a twitter thing I always thought so they will no doubt restrict it to facebook only so, people will either leave instagram and stick with twitter, or facebook will get some more activity on its site.

It really won't be long until an alternative pops along to become as popular. Pudding Camera for example does the same more or less with a load more effects and multiple camera effects

fez

fez

Caporegime
How do you figure that a DotCom bubble is growing?

The obscene valuations of various companies such as facebook, groupon and instagram makes me think that we may be heading that way. I have read plenty about facebooks valuation and none of it explains why on earth the company is worth so much. It relies on far too many external factors to generate revenue. Users cannot be assigned a value in this context yet that seems to be what the valuation is based on. "If we have half a billion regular users then we must be able to monetise those users when the reality may be that you shoot yourself in the foot when you do so. Social networks rely on a user base which can disappear very quickly.

As far as I can see, a lot of people that use facebook a lot, do so because they use it a lot. When you start using it for a few hours a day you add a lot more content which leads to more checks to see what others have posted in reply etc etc. It reminds me of games like Tiny Tower where you are rewarded for playing it but the more you play, the more you need to play to maintain it.

Last edited:
Soldato
instagram ****es me off, everyone suddenly thinks they are photographers because they can put some crappy filter on top of their image.

fez

fez

Caporegime
instagram ****es me off, everyone suddenly thinks they are photographers because they can put some crappy filter on top of their image.

That might be a little bit of an oversimplification of the matter. People don't believe themselves to be great photographers but the filters can quite often improve a crummy picture. Then theres the fact that if so many people like doing that to their photos, there must be a lot of people that like to see photos like that.

People who put instagram filters on their photos are unlikely to think "christ I hate photos with filters but when I do it I'm an artistic genius."

If facebook requires you to link it to an account though I think it will sink instagram.

Soldato
Don't get it myself.

Take a picture, apply a filter that makes it look like you developed it 10 years late on cheap 80s stock and hey presto. Anyone looked at pictures from the 80s? Wouldn't they all look much better with proper colours?

eWptK.jpg

Soldato
The difference between this "Dot-com Bubble" and the last one is that, back then, the population of the Internet was comparatively tiny. Now, everyone is on the Internet.

Web services like Instagram can be worth hundreds of millions almost overnight simply because of the sheer number of quality visitors they get. Advertising.

With that said, $1bn for what is basically a web-based Photoshop filtering service for your photo's? It does seem a little crazy. I think Facebook got spooked by Instragram's potential to become a competitor, especially since their Android version only launched a few days ago yet has already had millions of downloads.

Back
Top Bottom