Facebook down?

Soldato
I've deleted my account - and it's been wonderful to be free of it!

But it does mean I'll probably post more inane rubbish on here now... I mean, moderate the forums with an iron fist. ;)

You're not kidding. Over 80k inane tripe ridden posts?!? That's shocking statistics!

Don't you dare lose touch now!!

Man of Honour
I've deleted my account - and it's been wonderful to be free of it!

But it does mean I'll probably post more inane rubbish on here now... I mean, moderate the forums with an iron fist. ;)

I never understand this, free of what exactly, an extremely useful tool.
Hardly ever post on FB, but cover this site in rubbish.
However wouldn't want to be without FB, makes organising events so easy, makes following companies, news, events etc easy.

Man of Honour
I never understand this, free of what exactly, an extremely useful tool.
Hardly ever post on FB, but cover this site in rubbish.
However wouldn't want to be without FB, makes organising events so easy, makes following companies, news, events etc easy.

Same here, it's just posters on here trying to be cool or they don't know how to use it.

Soldato
I think the draw of Facebook is what people feel needs to be combatted. As useful as it may be, it can really take over. The fact I actually wanted to "like" some posts on here is proof that Facebook has become synonymous with the way in which I communicate. To break free and revisit more conventional habits of social interaction is something I admire...

Man of Honour
I just came to realise that a lot of stuff that happens on there is just superficial and that no one REALLY cares and it is a bit narcissistic.

Now I will probably sign up again in due course as to keep in touch with my family it is useful as we are spread out all over the world.

If I do though it will be with more care and more restricted. I also find I'm wasting less time too browsing through inane and pointless discussions I'm not interested in. I know that is down to who or what I follow to a certain degree. The privacy issues were also bugging me a bit.

I don't need it to organise events or check on news and so on. I was using it with no real purpose.

Facebook is great for keeping in touch with people but it also great at keeping in touch with rubbish.

As I said I probably will re-sign up in due course but with far more care and perhaps only family or friends that live abroad. Everyone else can either ring me or email me if they want. I have just had a bit enough of being a slave to social media. It's my own fault as I was sucked into it. I will still use some more anonymous slcial media for news and contacting companies (twitter) and have linkedin for professional networks but everyone else has my number if they want to keep in touch.

Don't get me wrong I think it is a good tool. But I just needed a bit of time away from it, not because I want to be "cool". I started to realise also how dependent people become on it (myself included) and I didn't like it.

That's said i still love this community here so I guess it isn't much different?

Man of Honour
I just came to realise that a lot of stuff that happens on there is just superficial and that no one REALLY cares and it is a bit narcissistic.

h.

But who cares what happens at large on their? You don't see it, or if you do it's your choice. Hardly any of my friends on their post a lot. There's the odd one or two but they either get added to ignore list or swamped by news anyway.
You relay should try using it how you want to, don't accept people you don't normally interact with, have everything set to friends only etc.

One feature I love is when I find out about events I follow on FB, even if I don't go that year, next year it'll remind me. Find I go to stuff a lot more now, as I know it's happening. Rather than only finding out stuff after it happens and then forgetting about it 12 months latter.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I guess some of it is down to being sucked into it but also after nearly 10 years I dread to think how much of my life is on there.

I have never found it to be useful for the uses you use it for but that doesn't mean to say it isn't good. I was probably using it wrong.

For the moment it is just a bit of freedom from having info pushed at me. I want info when I'm interested without invasive advertising or the compulsion to post a thought or share how wonderful or crap my life is. I'd rather do it over a coffee when we have more things to catch up on rather than a piecemeal approach that Facebook provides and actually interact face to face with my friends. Might force them or me to be more sociable! If people don't keep in touch without it then too bad. :)

I may well change my mind. But just because I have different attitude towards it doesn't make you wrong or right I've just changed my perspective on it for the moment.

Back
Top Bottom