Facebook its complicated

Facebook (and all social media apps) are crap. Your life is greatly enhanced by not using any of them

Facebook groups are incredibly useful for finding information about virtually anything. Forums used to be great but many are dying as so many people have moved onto facebook groups or just lost interest in general.

Case in point - if I have a question regarding a particular car and post on a forum for that marque, I may get 3-4 replies over a week. If I post on the Facebook group for that particular model of car, I'll generally get 20+ replies in a few hours and almost immediately have the issue solved.

Facebook marketplace is far better than ebay or similar sites as well, I've got some great deals over the years and have sold lots of stuff too.

I deleted my Facebook account, ages ago, like 2009, to be honest I wasn't on there long anyway and quickly realised it wasn't for me.

However......

Like 6-7 years after that something popped up, and it became apparentu Facebook account wasn't properly deleted.

It took a while to properly delete it, cheeky buggers.

I'm hind sight I should have just posted some obscene racism or something I bet that would have got it deleted fast, although I guess you can get arrested for that these days as our work from home police force don't seem to do anything else.

Oh yes it is 100%

So, is a forum social media? The answer is a resounding yes. While forums may differ from mainstream social media platforms in several ways, they share many of the same core features and have played a vital role in the evolution of the digital landscape.

Are forums part of social media?

Forums are an essential part of social media as they can help users connect with different kinds of people and also help businesses promote their brands, products, and services.

Yes, but as @ubersonic pointed out to me:

It's the same as saying that an iMac is a PC, it is correct under the textbook definition of the phrase, but it's also completely different to what society views the phrase as and the context in which it's actually used.

Since then I haven't bothered repeating that "forums are social media" phrase because It just makes one look a bit of a prat.

On the radio when they are telling people to check out the socials, they aren't meaning the KISS FM community forums (Which probably don't exist anyway)

Last edited:
Facebook (and all social media apps) are crap. Your life is greatly enhanced by not using any of them
I normally agree, however there are fantastic examples of groups that have thrived on FB. Our open football team has a very active group and uses it to arrange weekly matches, get the news out about matches going on and generally keep people informed. Yes this could be achieved using other apps / text messages etc - but given that almost everyone has an account, why wouldn't you just use it.

Best thing I did was to delete Facebook earlier this year. Full of ads and local Karens. No one uses it for its original purpose anymore.

Oh I sweet, you can stop the ads and the Karens you know :)

Since then I haven't bothered repeating that "forums are social media" phrase because It just makes one look a bit of a prat.

It's still Social Media no matter how you try and wriggle out of it because all the things there also end up here and vice versa.
People can argue it isn't but that makes them look like a prat.
The only problem is on this social media site I see people arguing all the time or see posts from closet racists etc, I don't get that on Facebook because I block them all.
For some strange reason I don't do it on here.

Oh I sweet, you can stop the ads and the Karens you know :)

It's still Social Media no matter how you try and wriggle out of it because all the things there also end up here and vice versa.
People can argue it isn't but that makes them look like a prat.
The only problem is on this social media site I see people arguing all the time or see posts from closet racists etc, I don't get that on Facebook because I block them all.
For some strange reason I don't do it on here.

Strange hill to die on, but you do you. Makes you look a bit of a prat.
Not that I even disagree much, I'm just not going to harp on about it, because that would be weird.

Ps. I have enjoyed the ample use of prat during our little exchange! You twit.

Pps. Come to think of it. I've seen people on Reddit talking about it like Reddit isn't social media either.

Last edited:
Strange hill to die on, but you do you. Makes you look a bit of a prat.
Not that I even disagree much, I'm just not going to harp on about it, because that would be weird.

Ps. I have enjoyed the ample use of prat during our little exchange! You twit.

Even though Google tells you forums are Social Media sites you are willing to die on that hill which is weird.

Even though Google tells you forums are Social Media sites you are willing to die on that hill which is weird.

Google also tells me a Mac is a type of personal computer, do you refer to them as such? I assume so because that's what Google tells you. Even though normal people do not call it that.
Generally I will follow social norms with these kind of things and not what a search engine tells me but you do you. Be sure to let it eat up more of your evening as well.

Also you seem to be getting a bit confused, I never said it wasn't a social media platform. I simply said it's weird to refer to it as such when there is a general acceptance of what social media refers to when people speak to actual people and not a search engine.

Last edited:
I find Facebook useful. I joined a ford transit forum and no one seems to reply to anyone on there. But the Facebook group is somewhat helpful when you need something.

Plus there's a bit of eye wondering as well :D

….
Thank god I can remember the internet before every single thing was monetised, back when people did things for noble reasons.
The late 90’s, 2000’s was an incredible time for the internet on an individual level. For me, it was the 2010’s when it really started to do down hill and the ‘social media’ aspect needs to just die or be highly moderated because it’s a cancer on the world.

At least Friends Reunited reunited you with friends. Facebook reunites you with people who you never knew, still don't and maybe never will nor like.

Overclockers begins with a nerdy interest in all things processor and goes from there. After years or months impressing with your manly MHz, you may enter the more general interest areas and the sink that is SC.

I use forums for my interests rather than Facebook or other social media.

I don't know the exact definition, but for me classic social media is where an algorithm selects and suggests viewing content, and a forum is simply a point of references where I decided what to view.

Social media is like going into a library and having someone present you with book after book of their choice until something of interest crops up, and then you're bombarded with that subject.

It's a popularity contest for your attention.

I really don't get it. The Internet is massive, why not just search for stuff based on your interests?

I appreciate that search engines decide what to present to a certain degree, but at least it's based closely on the search term entered.

Reactions: A2Z
Facebook reunites you with people who you never knew, still don't and maybe never will nor like.

Mine must be different than yours, I always say the difference between OCUK and Facebook is I actually know the people on Facebook,
If I get a Facebook Friend Request I check them out first.
This has made it difficult over the years because I have blocked at least 400 people I know when they post racist memes or things I just don't like.
Because I don't know people on here I don't block them because you are all made up :)

I've never seen a forum referred to as social media before :confused: Each to their own I guess.

Pick a sub forum on here or news story and there will be one on Facebook. There really is no difference. However the advantage of Facebook is OCUK doesn't have dedicated Groups of stuff I'm interested in, the closest forums for that is Redditt.

Back
Top Bottom