Facebook selling - seller has asked to post and pay with PP G&S

Its a 600 pound lego set. So it is in the scamable category.

Hmmm.. I heard not too long ago that there was a big thing with Lego and scams on FB marketplace, definitely steer clear.

Would *you* offer to pay £600 by bank transfer or paypal friends and family.

Tbh, if I was going to spend £600 on Lego, I'd just buy it from someone within 100 miles and ask them to meet me halfway or something, then do cash or bank transfer whilst I'm stood with them, along with the item.

Well, how did you expect to be paid?

Would *you* offer to pay £600 by bank transfer or paypal friends and family.

In person. It's always meant to be in person.
And yeah I would never pay for someone with no comeback.

Its just a shame there is no real way to avoid being scammed selling remote.

Hmmm.. I heard not too long ago that there was a big thing with Lego and scams on FB marketplace, definitely steer clear.

Tbh, if I was going to spend £600 on Lego, I'd just buy it from someone within 100 miles and ask them to meet me halfway or something, then do cash or bank transfer whilst I'm stood with them, along with the item.

As would I. And that's how I was hoping it would go. It may well be a state of the economy thing. Or just that buyers get so much protection via ebay and it's worth it to pay the ebay premium for that.

It will sell. But I'm not in an idea location for selling either. In London this would have absolutely sold by now. Less so out here.

I've bought and sold loads of stuff on facebook marketplace via paypal goods and services. Never had an issue.

What's the most expensive thing you've sold?
Some categories (like lego, phones, computer components) are higher risk than others.

What's the most expensive thing you've sold?
Some categories (like lego, phones, computer components) are higher risk than others.

I'm usually the buyer honestly. Can't remember what the most expensive thing I have sold is but I have bought stuff for ~£500 before.

I'm usually the buyer honestly. Can't remember what the most expensive thing I have sold is but I have bought stuff for ~£500 before.

Yeah for the buyer it's fine as you can do a chargeback. That's the issue. Same as ebay. Selling high value stuff remotely is high risk. The buyer has no real risk.

If I send a brick...chargeback
But even if I sell the item.. They can do a chargeback.

I don't think scams are as prevalent as others say.. But the risk is too high for me on a 600 pound item

I am guilty of this and am always thankful for a reminder; the amount of time and brain space on this is worth more than the what, single figure percentage risk of this being a scam. If you cannot allow yourself to accept that (fair enough, I may well be the same depending on the item) and you really aren't getting local interest, drop the price by significantly and be done with the excess item and, more importantly, the brain baggage.

Last edited:
Yeah, my method has always been: "If I want it this bad, and the price is right - I'm driving there"... but it requires effort :D
Thats what I did earlier this year, well my wife did the driving. Found a seller of World of warcraft the board game and its 2 expansions, my holy grail of board games. He lived 2 hours away. £450 for the lot, paid bank transfer in front of him. No chance of posting it as it would have cost a fortune. He was happy, I was happy, the wife and kids enjoyed the mini road trip.

I have not gone ahead. All the risk is with me. Like said above, if I really need to sell it I'll drop it by 50 quid.

Back
Top Bottom