Facebook stand-off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Invade Luxembourg?

Firstly, I don't work for Amazon. You obviously have no clue how basic accounting and tax works if you classy not paying tax due to losses as "tax dodging".

Secondly, International Tax involves tax compliance. There are different levels of ethics involved. For example, I wouldn't work for a company that I knew were tax evading (mainly because that's illegal) but neither would I work for a company engaging in bleeding edge tax avoidance. The role depends on the company. My role is to minimise tax risk, defend against tax audits, etc. No company wants tax audits because it means extra costs and work involved to defend.

Lastly, what are you talking about - "invade Luxembourg"?

Soldato
Uhhhh, no, I would like to blame a succession of right-wing Governments for helping Amazon for making obscene profits and putting local tax-paying retailers out of business.

And I would like to thank Amazon for providing a service that is light years ahead of what any local tax-paying retailers provide. Next day delivery on almost any item that exists at a price you can't beat 99% of the time, incredible really.

Caporegime
Does it really? Or is the profit just concealed by creative accounting?

A company that makes <£50M profit on revenues of £19.5B is...odd.

Or clever investment, which it was doing for years to get to they shear size it is now, the fact is that profit taxes are ******* stupid and a waste of time.

Soldato
What is your point?

Are you trying to suggest that Facebook, Amazon, et al aren't tax dodgers?

No, I would like to understand what "odd" is. For example, have you considered their profit considering their business model, or their competitors' profit levels etc.? What exactly about the level of their profits is odd considering the wider market and profitability of similar businesses?

If for example, I walked into a room and saw a dog standing and had never seen a 4-legged animal before I may consider it "odd". But when you actually consider it with more information or understanding about animals it is actually far from odd. So I'd like to understand in what way Amazon's profits are "odd".

I'm not saying the profits are correct. I just don't understand how from just two numbers you can declare something is odd.

The coffin dodgers and boomers in The Party are so out of touch (as usual). Facebook's main clientèle these days is us boring late 30s / early 40s Gen-Xers. The Millennials and Gen-Zers take the lion's share of the online market. They use Instagram, Snapchat, Tinder, and to a smaller extent, Reddit. The Party needs to crack down on these sites/apps instead :p

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
What level of tax do you consider makes a company no longer "tax dodging"?
Dunno; I consider basing your "alleged" operations in Luxembourg (or the Channel Islands, BVI, etc., etc.) tends to suggest that an organisation is dodging tax - you seem not to agree - we will have to agree to differ.

[Endless boring cliches deleted] The Party [more stuff deleted] :p
To what "Party" are you referring?

Dunno; I consider basing your "alleged" operations in Luxembourg (or the Channel Islands, BVI, etc., etc.) tends to suggest that an organisation is dodging tax - you seem not to agree - we will have to agree to differ.

To what "Party" are you referring?

I am referring to The Party, Ingsoc, the ruling establishment of our increasingly Orwellian state. With LibLab being irrelevant, we are essentially a 1-party state.

Soldato
Dunno; I consider basing your "alleged" operations in Luxembourg (or the Channel Islands, BVI, etc., etc.) tends to suggest that an organisation is dodging tax - you seem not to agree - we will have to agree to differ

What are you chatting? "Your", I've already said I don't work for Amazon. No one in their right mind has boiler plate companies in Luxembourg anymore. Needs to have substance.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
What are you chatting? "Your" . . .
English isn't your first language is it?
To make comprehension easier for you I have edited and highlighted the significant words below . . .
. . . basing your "alleged" operations in Luxembourg tends to suggest that an organisation is dodging tax . . .
To make it even easier, you might try replacing "your" with "their".

Here endeth the (free) lesson ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom