Facebooks 50 Genders

Soldato
The world has gone mad :(

Until now Facebook users have had to identify as "male" or "female" when signing up for an account, but from today people will be able to select one of 50 gender options including "intersex" and "androgynous"

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...-changes-which-one-of-50-genders-are-you.html

I suspended my account about a year ago, so this is not likely to have much impact on me personally. But the fact this sort of nonsense is becoming mainstream makes me feel very alienated from modern Western society. I don't even know what Cisgender is! How long is it till people can list themselves as 'Lycan' or 'Vampire.

I wonder if it's time to leave the planet?

Soldato
OP
Why are you going mad? it's giving people a choice, and you can still select "male" or "intolerant mail reader" etc.

Because pandering to this is the thin edge of the wedge. Soon the fabric of society will be torn apart and we'll just have a mass of 'individuals' with nothing in common with one another. The basis of civilized society is common values, but how can I have common values with a man who thinks he's a female fox?!

And it's a bloody Telegraph article, not Daily Mail. I am extremely intolerant of this fruit cake nonsense though, yes. Sadly, there is no option for that on the list.

Permabanned
Because pandering to this is the thin edge of the wedge. Soon the fabric of society will be torn apart and we'll just have a mass of 'individuals' with nothing in common with one another. The basis of civilized society is common values, but how can I have common values with a man who thinks he's a female fox?!

And it's a bloody Telegraph article, not Daily Mail.

FLOODS! EARTHQUAKES! WARS! FACEBOOK SEXUALITY AND GENDER CHOICES! THE WORLD IS ENDING!

Soldato
Now I'm not educated in this stuff, but the vast majority of those options seem to be variants on the same thing?

Trans Male
Trans Man
Trans*Man
Transexual Male
Transexual Man
Transmasculine

Can anyone enlighten me as to what the difference between those is, if any?

Without pictures?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Because pandering to this is the thin edge of the wedge.

What?

Soon the fabric of society will be torn apart

You seem to have a very narrow view of what a "society" should be like.

and we'll just have a mass of 'individuals' with nothing in common with one another.

But society IS a collection of individuals. As for things in common, is simply being "human" not enough?

The basis of civilized society is common values, but how can I have common values with a man who thinks he's a female fox?!

No. A civilised society is one that embraces and accepts peoples differences and celebrates ALL humankind, not just the ones that fit a narrow stereotype. One of our "end points" (at least until we start colonising other planets) should be a GLOBAL society where there are no dividing lines based on sex, nationality, religion or sexual preference. The sooner I can answer "earth" to the question "what's your nationality" the better imho.

And it's a bloody Telegraph article, not Daily Mail.

Oh, wel that makes it ok then :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato

And it's a bloody Telegraph article, not Daily Mail. I am extremely intolerant of this fruit cake nonsense though, yes. Sadly, there is no option for that on the list.

Society will not be torn apart by people choosing their own gender definition, come on. We have other common values, aside from gender.

Anyway, it's their gender IDENTITY, not the actual gender.

I realise it's a telegraph article, but they're not so different, and it really just panders to the people in society who like to complain about each and every change that makes other people's lives a little bit more liveable.

Soldato
OP
You seem to have a very narrow view of what a "society" should be like.

I have narrow definitions of many things. What is your point?

But society IS a collection of individuals. As for things in common, is simply being "human" not enough?

And individuals surrender some freedoms to society in order that we can all live together. And no, being human is not enough, obviously.

No. A civilised society is one that embraces and accepts peoples differences and celebrates ALL humankind, not just the ones that fit a narrow stereotype.

Oh yes, the greatest civilizations of history all embraced this fruitcake nonsense... Oh wait no, they didn't.

Oh, wel that makes it ok then :rolleyes:

I understand, you'll only blow Guardian journos.

This is a factual news story with very little editorial. What part of it do you actually dispute?

Soldato
Ugh, no surprise that a dude who wants to be a woman thought these up.

Could they not be more realistic with them:

-Man
-Woman
-Man who thinks he's a woman
-Woman who thinks she's a man
-Attention seeking freak (for everything else including "Pansexual" :|)

Permabanned

I actually laughed out loud at this. You're an absolute fruit loop. Fabric of society being torn apart because Facebook changes an option...

Back
Top Bottom