1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Failed already.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by bloodhunter, Jan 12, 2019.

1. bloodhunter

Hitman

My two week old EVGA RTX2080ti FTW3 Ultra card is dead and its only two weeks old. I will be returning it in person tomorrow to the retailer i bought it from.
    I know its the card for certain as i put a 1070 in that I've had for some time and the system runs fine with that in.

2. LeMson

Wise Guy

Get your money back, and sit on the 1070 until something worth buying comes out, 7nm AMD probably

3. Apone70

Gangster

That's a joke, there is no way they can still claim the RMA rate is the same as other GPU releases

4. Panos

Sgarrista

No is not. Never before there was so much fuss about fail rate, even when the heater Fermi 480 came out.

5. Apone70

Gangster

I was gonna get one from Vegas in the summer as I can get one sooooo much cheaper or get my sister to send me one over. But RMA might be a nightmare if they insist on sending it back to the retailer. I think I will stick to my 1080ti and maybe so SLI if I can get another one second hand

6. FlyingScotsman

Hitman

Sorry to hear that bud, does look like this series is in big trouble with the failure rate.

7. Darujhistan

Mobster

That was always Industry Standard PR BS in this case. The 2080ti is a hugely over-priced, not-fit-for-purpose disaster. I wouldn't buy one with someone else's money.

8. CuriousTomCat

Gangster

Nvidia always used to release the Titanium version at least 6 months later when yields had improved and they were binning in quantity, a far superior product to the original xx80 part. For example, the 980 was released in September 2014 then the Ti version was released 8 months later in June 2015. Then the 1080 in May 2016 followed by the Ti in March 2017. The same with the 780Ti. I know people who used to wait for this more refined version.

I was very supprised when the 2080 and 2080ti were released so close together. I guess their reasoning was that they were loosing potential Titanium customers who were buying the xx80 version because they didn't want to wait 6 months. I doubt Jensen Huang's arrogance and over confidence helped either :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  9. Azrael1

Hitman

Out of interest was it heavily manually overclocked ?

10. koooowweeee

Mobster

Did the 480 have problems? First I've heard. I've had a good few of them. Brilliant for warning your room in winter. I used to stick my feet inside my case to warm them up :D

11. andy_mk3

Sgarrista

That's bad. On the up side, EVGA RMA is generally one of the best.

12. tyler_jrb

Mobster

The FTW3 while a solid card suffers badly with poor case sizing, with it being a very deep card already.

For instance if you don’t have much room between the side of your card and your case window then it creates quite a large delta on the front and side bank of memory chips in the 80-90c range depending on fan speeds.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  13. bloodhunter

Hitman

I took the card back to the supplier yesterday and they tested in right in from of me and the fault appeared instantly so i was given a replacement. They didn't have the same card in stock so i was given the option to choose an alternative so i got the Gigabyte Aorus Extreme Waterforce which i will be fitting at some point next week as i am too busy to do it at the moment.