Fairness issue at work

Soldato
Hi guys,

Just want some clarification/common sense before I go to my union at work.

I work for a reasonable sized company, general staff drive liveried vans/pickups management/ fixed site staff have company cars.

Last month my pick-up was equipped with a black box telemetry unit, we were told that these units were designed to only monitor our driving for insurance and safety.

Que this morning I have received an email from a random manager stating the following:
* I have repeatedly done 60mph on nsl roads, my pickup is registered as a dual purpose vehicle so has same speed limits as a car.
* engine was switched on and van moved on the weekend when not on call, had to move van off drive for delivery. Literally moved it 10 yards.
* van was sat idling on site for 4 hours, said site has no power supply and was charging all my test equipment and laptop.
* van wasn’t started or moved till 9 am yesterday, I am contracted 8-4 but previous day had done a 16 hour shift, which my boss lets us have a relaxed early morning start the next day.

The knob has said he will be forwarding this information to my line manager and network engineering.

Pretty sure none of the above is in the agreed scope of the original installation bar the speed in the nsl.

Also got a bitchy reply back when I asked if the company cars have had telemetry boxes fitted, as these are under the same insurance and aren’t limited.

Questioning whether to go to my union about this?

Any suggestions

Soldato
OP
The only thing I would say is that surely your vehicle doesn't need to idling for 4 hours to charge your test equipment?

Was charging the following as using throughout the day
* laptop
* portable WiFi
* Camera
* work phone
* gasco seeker
* spare battery on impact drill
* rechargeable batteries

Would drain the battery in minutes if the engine wasn’t on.

60mph on NSL roads. I must be missing the issue here or my brain isn't working.
Aren't the nsl for cars 60 single and 70 for dual carriageway.

Yep, I was doing the legal limit.

Apparently I’m not the only one that got this type of message, others have had it worse.
Apparently the new transits have the doors monitored as well. Also we are contracted to work from home and some days you finish early and end up h9me at 2 But other days you don’t go home till the next day, the ops managers know this so look the other way as long as the work gets done. As sometimes you get called out when not on call.

Everyone on the WhatsApp group is saying they are going to go to site for 8 and leave sites at 4, book travel overtime from now on.

Soldato
OP
Unless it's a car-derived van, it's actually 50/60 for vans and trucks. Something that's not known by a lot or ignored.
Pickups are classed as dual purpose so have same speed limit as cars, if the pickup has rear seats with seat belts that are tested in a mot, then its dual purpose.

Was the guy not knowing his bloody job

Soldato
OP
Should you not have been doing this in the first place if this is what you are contracted too?

No, we are classed as working from home, so if I have a job that only takes 3 hours, but takes 3 hours to get to and from site.
We are supposed to go home and do admin or emails, as most of our sites don’t have a building or internet coverage.

So now we will sit on site for the 8 hours, then book overtime for travel and admin.

It’s like saying that someone that works from home isn’t in the office enough

Soldato
OP
All you can do is explain your situation, I seriously wouldn't push things as they could turn around and change contracts for everyone and at worst cut jobs who knows! I hate stuff like this in the work place as there's always politics going on and always someone complaining about something when there probably doesn't need to be. urgh! As above make sure a rep/HR are there. HR usually sides with the manager anyway not the worker unless they are caught out.

They tried changing contracts last year, then realised all the electricians and instrumentation were looking at jobs elsewhere for much better pay, we lost pretty much all our HV authorised sparks and half our instrumentation techs to ABB and Siemens. Que back peddling.

They seem happy when they have messed up to ask us to lose our weekends but willing to to try and **** us over at every opportunity, might tell them next time they need ofgem recertification in Scotland because they messed up that I’m too busy with family to drive a trailer up from wales and do it, cos they got rid of a contract without realising no one up north was certified. Would love to see management face the shareholders with that fine.

Soldato
OP
So mentioned it with my manager during a conversation about a incident repair / isolation requirement for next week and he’s had a similar report for every member of the team, mine was quite tame.

One of the boys was reported for driving off road...

He’s sent an email to our area manager,who’s legendary. So expect a interesting message being sent to hr.

Nothing to worry about manager seems to have our backs.

Soldato
OP
Off road as in the forestry commission, are pickups were ordered and designed for it ( 2 inch lift, diff locks, underbody protection and snorkel with breathers. They replaced the two battered defenders we had.

Two of our sites protective features are only accessible by off reading in the forest or a 6 mile walk with tools. Normally it's me.

It's all a bit silly
What is the unladen weight? if it is over 2040kg (should be a sticker in driver side door) you still have to drive to the lower speed limit.

EDIT: Sticker might only refer load weights not vehicle weight.

Toyota hilux gross weight 1950kg with rear seats checked on mot.

Had to get it double checked when I appealed against south Wales police year before last for doing 68 on a dual carriageway

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom