Fake memory card?

Associate
Hi,

I bought a sandisk 2GB M2 memory card off ebay Monday and it arrived at my house today. I recently read the thread about fake sandisk memory cards. But there was no specific mention of M2 cards. I just popped it into my K800i and it comes up with 1950MB with nothing on the memory card.
It also has not come in a retail box, It just came in a plastic holder with a memory card converter thing so it can be used it card readers. What are the chances of this being fake? I don't really mind it being fake as I got it for less than half price, than what it is in the shop's. But are there failure rates on the fake cards, Is there a way to spot if the M2 card's are fake.

Thanks.

If you have serious doubts and it was less than half price then it could well be a fake. Although they allegedly have a higher failure rate I wouldn't worry too much, a few mates have used fakes for months/ years without problems, just back it up.

Heres a picture..

DSC00010%20(Medium).JPG

I registered it on the Sandisk website and it seems to of worked fine...

Item Info
Item MS-Micro 2GB
Description Mobile Memory Card
Warranty Period 5 Years
Date Entered 06/27/2007
Purchase Price 19
Where Purchased eBay.com
Serial Number *************
Entered By Josh Singh
Address ******************
Your Item ID 4505810

:cool:

I will format it on my pc, and post back.

If on your phone you can check the options of it, go into memory card options, and see if their are any fields that state "Unknown" if their is then its most likely a fake.

their are also other ways.

Does the Print wipe off if you smudge it with your finger?
Does it get hot after heavy use?
can you see any signs of glue stains around the edges?

if you bought it of the bay then its more or likely going to be a fake as most of them are.

doent mean it wont work though, as long as it didnt cost much you should be fine ^_^.

i wouldnt worry too much, i bought mine from a seller from the rainforest site and it didnt cost that much more than that (£25 iirc) and that was months ago. mine also had around 1950mb space on it so its nothing to worry about

i believe there are a few links on ebay to some information that allows you to check whether your card is fake or not as its a pretty big problem on there

Back
Top Bottom