• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fall Creator Update | 20% MORE Gaming Performance

Associate
want to condense it down for us? Can't really see anything useful in my skimming?

Im not sure whats in the reddit thread but one thing the FCU does do is fix DX9 VRAM allocation. Well apparently as i haven't tried it yet, although it is reported to be working as as it should.

Edit: Having had a quick scan through it appears as if a number of users are suffering stuttering in some games that was supposed to be fixed but isn't. A fix has been posted that deletes the GameDVR feature by creating a .bat to remove it from the registry and users are reporting that it works.

Thats seems to be about it other than the usual good for some, not so good for others posts that feature in all these types of threads,

Last edited:
Soldato
Untitled4c4ed.jpg

Soldato
Im not sure whats in the reddit thread but one thing the FCU does do is fix DX9 VRAM allocation. Well apparently as i haven't tried it yet, although it is reported to be working as as it should.

Edit: Having had a quick scan through it appears as if a number of users are suffering stuttering in some games that was supposed to be fixed but isn't. A fix has been posted that deletes the GameDVR feature by creating a .bat to remove it from the registry and users are reporting that it works.

Thats seems to be about it other than the usual good for some, not so good for others posts that feature in all these types of threads,

I had massive frame pacing issues with 387.92 nvidia drivers post the Fall update, my frame rates where the same but in game smoothness felt much lower. For examples I generally always hit my frame rate cap of 95fps in Titianfall 2 at 1440p ultra wide. However with the update and 387.92 this felt like a chuggy 30-40 fps. I could repeat this High frame rate but felt slow behaviour in other games like South Park, SC2, PUNBG etc

DDU and falling back to 385.69 fixed these issues for me.

Soldato
Well,I noticed a few FPS increase in FO4 with the new update(and actually enabling game mode),but more importantly the stutter is reduced in certain settlements.

Thats a good increase for Vega there. Would be good to know what CPU was used and whether the same gains can be seen on Nvidia cards.
Apparently it helps Nvidia cards too!

Apparently if any of you play Planetside 2 it's well worth getting this update, some folks on reddit are reporting a 30% in crease in minimum frame rate and 10% to 20% in averages.

Maybe @AMDMatt can shed some details on what's going on.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Associate
I noticed improved performance in GTA5 (in the order of 10%) but have also updated drivers since I last played so I can't work out whether the performance is due to new drivers or the Windows update. Can't tell any difference in Forza 7 or Horizon as they were already maxed out and running into my frame limiter beforehand.

Associate
I had massive frame pacing issues with 387.92 nvidia drivers post the Fall update, my frame rates where the same but in game smoothness felt much lower. For examples I generally always hit my frame rate cap of 95fps in Titianfall 2 at 1440p ultra wide. However with the update and 387.92 this felt like a chuggy 30-40 fps. I could repeat this High frame rate but felt slow behaviour in other games like South Park, SC2, PUNBG etc

DDU and falling back to 385.69 fixed these issues for me.

Just out of interest did you already have the 387.92 driver before the update and if so did you try using DDU and reinstalling before going back to 385.69.

Soldato
Some threads on it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/77jkm1/windows_10_fall_creator_update_showing_up_to_20/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/77gj0h/fall_creator_update_20_more_gaming_performance/

Seems,what I saw with FO4 is probably true:

People in other threads are talking about this in other threads I saw someone get a 15 fps increase in Battlefield 1 on a 970. https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/77guo7/credit_to_microsoft_20_fps_boost_legit/dom1rt7/
Personally the only game I've tried since the update is Fallout 4 and I went from around 45 to 55 FPS in Diamond City.
Edit: I was able to push Battlefield 1 to a resolution Scale of 125% at 1080p and still keep a locked 60fps. This was due to about a 10 fps increase over the 70fps I was getting before.

Gave this a try in Battlefield 1 Multiplayer, Frontlines on Amiens, and I noticed a significant improvement. It is not a perfect test, but I was able to go to the biggest problem areas of the map, while they were populated, multiple times. I believe I was getting around 15 more FPS(~20%ish) with my current settings. I was able to get 'playable'(never below 60) frame rates on settings that that were 'unplayable' just a few days ago.
I did notice issues with borderless mode however. Alt tabbing and the origin overlay becoming active both KILLED(15fps locked) the fps until changed into full screen. These issues were only with Borderless Windowed. It is possible this is an Issue with G-Sync.
EDIT: PUBG runs about the same but I think the low end fps is better because the game felt smoother and I had less stutter
I will update this post later when I try more games, but I won't have real benchmarks. CPU + GPU: [email protected] + Nvidia GTX 970@1500+Mem@3750 ***math

https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/771inl/absurd_performance_boost_with_the_fall_creators/

Ok guys I have a hypothesis on why this is happening.
This update is supposed to improve SMT/Hyperthreading handling and control CCX latency (on Ryzen CPUs). So I'd wager your performance would improve in these scenarios:
You've previously been CPU bound
Your CPU has SMT/Hyperthreadding
Your CPU has more than 2 cores / 4 threads
If and only if you meet those conditions, then:
Your average performance increase is around 10-20%, but your minimum frame rates could be much higher (20-30%)
If you have a Ryzen CPU your performance increase may be even larger.

So PS2 seems to have improvements too. Basically my two most CPU bound games have shown improvements with this update!! :)

Associate
Well,I noticed a few FPS increase in FO4 with the new update(and actually enabling game mode),but more importantly the stutter is reduced in certain settlements.

Does game mode really make any difference? I usually remove just about everything possible including all the UWP apps and the store. I also disable alll the XBOX services. Luckily i have the education version so i am able to disable telemetry via GPEDIT aswell.

Soldato
Does game mode really make any difference? I usually remove just about everything possible including all the UWP apps and the store. I also disable alll the XBOX services. Luckily i have the education version so i am able to disable telemetry via GPEDIT aswell.

I just ignored it,but actually enabled it to see. It added a slight increase in FPS in FO4,but even before this update,apparently it helped a bit with the game:

https://youtu.be/DR-B8ZQ0JIY?t=95

It seems to increase FPS,but not massively. Some games it makes no difference.

Soldato
No, it makes absolutely no difference on my 5820k and gtx 1080. Also, I've seen no performance improvement with this fall update. However, BF1 looks grainy and low res now with shimmering (grass is particularly affected), windowed Gsync is broken particularly in Tyranny and the game bar still interferes with Gsync in certain games such as Snake Pass.

So, overall I'm not impressed. Your mileage may vary.

Soldato
I have a locked IB Core i7 and a GTX1080. Its most likely the improvements are there when you are CPU limited or have something like Ryzen where apparently the scheduler is improved.

For instance the Reddit poster who talked about FO4,was using a laptop with a Core i7 6700HQ,which has relatively low clockspeeds and a mobile GTX1060,and the latter is apparently not much slower than the desktop version IIRC.

Soldato

It was advised to keep it off previously, but some are seeing improvements with it on since the update. However, I would put money on it depending on the game you're playing. If it's negligible, then I'll just keep it disabled.

Back
Top Bottom