Fallout 3 problems

Soldato
Anyone got any clickin on the audio and framerate pauses and sometimes crashes and sometimes when, just after loading, the textures are flickering.

Duno if its my comp or if its a win 7 64bit problem or driver prob.

Im on 1.7 patched up. No mods no expansion packs.

Soldato
Fallout 3 is THE most finicky game ever made.

Sometimes it will, quite literaly, decide that it doesn't like your system for some random reason and refuse to work.

Mine has done this recently, about 3 months ago it simply stopped working, not I can't start a new game or load, despite trying every fix on the planet.

Associate
Nothing wrong with audio or frame rate. But my god the crashing gets annoying.

Havnt crashed in a few days touch wood but it gets really annoying. Usually certain small houses is where i will crash, so i will have to load up and get in and out quickly.

Hate how i cant alt-tab too!

Otherwise. Love the game.

Associate
I found that now and then if you take a screen shot, press ESC and then Alt-Tab it sometimes works! Sometimes it doesn't though :(

To the OP, I'm running on windows 7 64 and experienced no such issues. All your drivers up to date etc? Oh remember to Install it on your OS Drive.

Man of Honour
Plenty of people have stability issues with the game even [especially!] when patched. As mentioned not being able to recover from alt-tab sometimes is very annoying as well.

To be honest it's a credit to how good the actual game is that I kept playing inspite of all the issues.

Soldato
To be honest it's a credit to how good the actual game is that I kept playing inspite of all the issues.

Very true.

I actualy went so far as I to buy it for the 360 (2nd hand) because I enjoy playing it so much.

I'm hoping when I do a nice, clean, fresh install for W7 that it decides to start working again.

Soldato
It works very well for me on an 8 core i7-965 or 4 core Q9450. Make sure you have done the following as its a little picky due to the way Bethesda coded it:

1: Works best installed on your Windows drive letter (especially if you have bought the DLC). If not on your windows drive letter uninstall & reinstall on your Windows drive.

2: Make sure you have the latest GFWL update:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=128962

If you have any issues with GFWL then MS have a lot of info & an MS staffed forum for technical help on these issues.
http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/Support/Pages/technicalIssuesGuide.aspx

They even have a dedicated Fallout3 tech support forum:
http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/44.aspx

3: Make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card.

4: Make sure your Router has an Open NAT status & UPNP enabled otherwise it will not be able to map the port forwarding required for the GFWL interface to work.

5: Make sure your firewall allows both the GFWL client through it & Fallout3.

6: Latest patch is here make sure you have it otherwise the game will not work as it should:
http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/updates.html

7: Some have reported that switching to window mode works perfectly when it crashes to the desktop a lot.

8: Some claim the following mod solves all their Fallout 3 issues!
http://www.fookunity.com/wiki/Main_Page

If after all of that your still having issues try the Bethesda forums:
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?act=idx

The vast majority of problems I've seen with Fallout3 on mine & other players PC's are user related to security settings on your PC which prevent Fallout3 from working properly so it freezes & crashes because of this. Many players have no issues with this now so you should be able to resolve it. Do not give up as the chances are its something someone else has already resolved on the GFWL forums.

Soldato
Using 7 x64 myself and a Phenom X4

Used to get fairly regular crashing in F3, but since the most recent patch and me updating gfx drivers I haven't had a crash since. Played through all the DLC without a crash.

Never experienced an audio problem (Xonar DX)

Associate
hello,

you are using an nvidia card with latest forceware? these are your problem try the 185.85 set they worked wonders for me.

as for audio the game uses a specific set of codecs to play radio music files, google madfilter and see if installing that helps you, it helped me, I have no problems with the game anymore

Soldato
Anyone got any clickin on the audio and framerate pauses and sometimes crashes and sometimes when, just after loading, the textures are flickering.

Duno if its my comp or if its a win 7 64bit problem or driver prob.

Im on 1.7 patched up. No mods no expansion packs.

Do you have ac3 filter installed ( the audio and crashes) ?
Hmm seems it has major issues with more than 2 core cpus.
Bunch of rubbish, I've finished the game twice on my quad core cpu.

Associate
Make sure if you're using alchemy that you have the correct settings applied.

If you're not using alchemy then try using alchemy.

Some sound related help here for Vista but I'd imagine it's equally applicable to Windows 7

alchemy solves major audio glitching but it also introduces some horrible crackling when playing back higher frequency sound effects, as mentioned give it a try but look into madfilter if you have no luck

Soldato
Stuttering (radio)music&game crashes has for me been caused by ac3filter, I had to go to ac3 filter properties, to the ''system'' tab, and then change ''default audio renderer'' from ''use direct sound as default audio renderer'' to ''use wave out as default audio renderer'' and ''filter merit'' from '' prefer ac3 filter'' to ''prefer other decoder''.

Problem is recognizable by turning on a radio station such as galaxy news radio or enclave radio, if the music stutters ngame, and if you tab out of the game, the music plays on but doesn't stutter, then AC3 filter or similar audio modifying apps are the problem.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom