Family car needed 9k

Soldato
Just had a little girl and the suzuki swift ain't gna cut it anymore so need a family car will trade in the swift

Usual requirements decent back seats
A boot which can hold the pram and a bit of shopping
Preferably 50mpg+

Been looking at juke hrv civic but open to anything

Thank you in advance

I know a family with one of these or very similar who really like it

nissan qashqai

1.5 N-CONNECTA DCI 5d 108 BHP

£0 Tax per year

Average MPG mixed use 74.3

Yes Toyota Corolla / Auris / Avensis a good shout too. Japanese reliability, relatively low running costs.

I did have a quick look at Auris estates, these are petrol hybrids. They did seem a bit pricey though and you don't get that new a car for your budget.

Prams are huge but you'll only need one for ~9 months (until the baby has full control of their heads) and then you'll switch to a pushchair/buggy which are far more compact.
But babies = "stuff" and you'll need boot space which I doubt you'll get from a compact SUV so I'd personally recommend an estate (like I've had for 25 years).

Might struggle with 50+mpg with a family car.

The 1.5 diesel Qashqai as posted above will, but if you at all enjoy driving you'll die a bit inside :s also you really want the n-vision or tekna spec as they are quite an improvement over the lower tiers and if possible 2017/8 years as they sorted most of the potential issues on the J11 facelift models. Though the 17 can still be affected by the flickering headlights in the cold due to PTC heater drawing too much current problem despite Nissan saying it only affects upto 2016 manufacture chassis.

Personally found it surprisingly practical for family kind of uses (otherwise I hadn't intended to keep the one I have) but that may vary depending on people's needs. I've got the 1.6 diesel and real world MPG is mid 40s in mixed use up to 50 on a good run if you take more time accelerating than I normally do. The 1.5 will do about 10 MPG better again.

It is a car I'd describe as the epitome of adequate and earlier models can be a little problematic.

Last edited:
Prams are huge but you'll only need one for ~9 months (until the baby has full control of their heads) and then you'll switch to a pushchair/buggy which are far more compact.
But babies = "stuff" and you'll need boot space which I doubt you'll get from a compact SUV so I'd personally recommend an estate (like I've had for 25 years).
We use my wife's Peugeot 2008 for family duties generally and have managed to pack for 3-4 days away with us 2, 6 month old and a 13 year old. There's some creative packing going on but you certainly don't need a full blown estate unless that's what you want.

Now baby is 18 months old we can happily get everything in my Ibiza if needed.

Can't see mileage, so cannot tell whether diesel or petrol. I would choose petrol or diesel then a pram test/test drive.

We did the pram test, took pram with us and tested boots. (I am not suggesting a focus btw! just an example of that boot size)
The pram would fit in a Focus mk3 but not a mk3! then some suvs it would not fit. I wish we got an estate, but that's another story.

Also as someone pointed out, you only need that huge thing for a year or so, then regular fold down stroller fits in most things.

I would always check this https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/real-mpg/ for a more accurate mpg look.

Diesel Civic maybe (if miles for diesel), most suggestions here are good, boots are huge on civics, reliability excellent, mpg good. Octavia's, Mondeos good shouts. I am always drawn to the Japanese reliability though.

Qashqai 1.5 diesel tekna. Ive had one for 10 years (which I bought after we had our daughter) and it's been fantastic. Large enough for what I need, super comfy and still has a lot of relevent tech. Easily get 55 to 65mpg out of it and ours has been super reliable (89k mileage now) £0 tax too and cheap on insurance.

Another option maybe worth looking at is the VW Touran - some of the models will get 50+ MPG though personally I'd recommend going with the 2.0 which might be cutting it a bit fine on the 50+ MPG side. Though it is probably more of a family car for when they get to school age rather than the first few years.

We bought an 8th gen Civic for this need. Massive boot. This was a few years ago and only paid £3k for it, £9k will get you a well spec'd 9th gen have you'd have change.

We'd still have that Civic if it hadn't been rear ended, we have a 10th gen now :D

Back
Top Bottom