Family Saloon Suggestions £18k

Not a saloon, but definitely fits the ‘family’ side and it is not very common if you want something a bit different.

BMW G32 6 Series GT. I have a 68 plate. Great car. You will likely be looking at a higher mileage one for £18k though.

There's also petrol options with good engines.

Last edited:
If you're happy with a 2.0 engine, the G30 is probably achievable still and whilst the purists will tell you that such a car is absolutely wasted without a big 6 or 8 cylinder engine, if it's not something you're used to having, you won't necessarily miss it and a 180-190bhp 520i/520d will feel fine (a little quicker than your Civic still) - though here arguably the power delivery of the diesel might suit the car better, a 520i will probably need a few revs - a 530i would alleviate that a bit but may again push the budget.

Whilst a 6cyl G30 would be nice, a 4cyl G30 is still going to be nicer than a 4cyl F3X. I think if he had to choose between a 4cyl G30 or any F3X model (4cyl or 6cyl), even Fox would go 4cyl G30 :p

I'm assuming these are the opinions of seasoned BMW drivers, whom all have driven plenty of different models over the years?

As of yet, I've never driven one. In fact my entire car history is generally very poor, considering my 35 years with a full license, also quite short.

800cc Mini
1.0 Austin Metro

First marriage with young family cars

1.6 Vauxhall Cavalier (2 of them)
1.9 D Citroen Xantia
2.0 Ford Mondeo

She cheated and divorced me car

2.5 V6 Ford Cougar

Second marriage (fuel costs to work in a 2.5 V6 too high and so I agree to get rid of it)

All these were from new

1.0 Citroen C1 (2 of them)
1.0 Peugeot 208
1.0 Skoda Citigo

Our Civic is the most highly spec'd I've ever owned and my short 2 miles commute to work is done in a Skoda Citigo. The only highlights are the Cougar and maybe the Mondeo at a push.

So bearing that in mind and you're own experiences, would the advice still be the same?

You've got to test drive the cars, that's the only way to know but trust me, having sat in a F30 3 series as a passenger and then jumped back into a G30 5 series, it felt like luxury, regardless of engine. So if you can get a 5 series for the same price as the 3/4, test drive the 5.

My last car was a facelift G30 520d and it was a lovely place to be, performance was never an issue for wafting up and down the motorway and occasionally putting your foot down. It was a fantastic car and I would recommend them to anyone.

This looks nice too.

BMW 530d G30
great looking car but p... poor job of cleaning it for the photos looking at the close up of the grill*** and the dirt around the window opening buttons in the door.

*** actually.... call me stupid but........ that front grille looks silver to me on the close up, but isnt it meant to be black?

perhaps i am having a senior moment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom