Fan Controllers

Associate
Associate
I've been using a NZXT controller for the last 5 years and it's been great. They normally work by using one or two molex connectors for power then each channel has fan connectors(like on the motherboard) that you connect your fans to.

Much easier than messing around with software..

Associate
OP
I've been using a NZXT controller for the last 5 years and it's been great. They normally work by using one or two molex connectors for power then each channel has fan connectors(like on the motherboard) that you connect your fans to.

Much easier than messing around with software..

Yeah I think Ill get one, I like the look of the analogue ones but I would guess that digital one will probably be more useful as you can see what the RPM is etc on the display.

Associate
Yeah I think Ill get one, I like the look of the analogue ones but I would guess that digital one will probably be more useful as you can see what the RPM is etc on the display.

I have one of the older ones that has the analogue sliders so no display for my either.

I have a custom loop with 2 radiators that has 2 Gentle Typhoons each plus all my case fans. For me it's all about managing noise levels.. ;)

Associate
OP
I have one of the older ones that has the analogue sliders so no display for my either.

I have a custom loop with 2 radiators that has 2 Gentle Typhoons each plus all my case fans. For me it's all about managing noise levels.. ;)

Yeah its noise that im looking at controlling so think itll be a good option.

Associate
OP
Only reason i never got these are that you always have to adjust them on the fly when needed.

With software i can set temp limits for any fans and it will automatically deal with it all.

Yeah I get your point. I dont use high end stuff or overclock so temps arent likely to be that big a deal, id just like to have them there to faff about with

Associate
Yeah I get your point. I dont use high end stuff or overclock so temps arent likely to be that big a deal, id just like to have them there to faff about with

It's just nice to have all fans turn off completely when idling or just doing basic desktop stuff that i think these controllers can't do or i forget.

Try argus monitor or speedfan to see if you like them.Once setup correctly it works very well.

Man of Honour
I have the Lamptron FC2 controlling the 12 120mm fans on my radiators and it does the job great. The one thing I dislike about it is the dimple on the dials so I put a white line from the center of the dial to the end so I can clearly see how each channel is set. A rpm display would be nice as well but it's not a deal breaker. I also have a Zalman ZM-MFC2 controlling the 4 200mm fans in my case. This does have rpm display and 4 temp sensors as well. The icing on the cake is that it displays real time power draw. Both of them only has manual fan adjustment but to be honest it's rare that I have to adjust fan speeds anyway. The 200mm fans in the case run at 480rpm and pretty much stay at that unless we have silly hot periods like last year. Same with the Lamptron and it's 12 120mm fans. They run at 900rpm and stay at that apart from hot periods. At 900rpm they give me a max water temp of 23 degrees C but that's only in the evening after the heating has been on for several hours. Normally it peaks at 21-22 degrees while gaming. Currently it's sat at 17.2 degrees C.

Soldato
I like the idea of these controllers but as mentioned above, the lack of automation if temperatures rise concerns me.

For not much more (£50) you can get an Aquaero which can be set up with all the clever fan curves, stopping at low temps etc, but will run automated regardless of what the PC is doing. In other words, if the PC crashes entirely or the fan software dies, the Aquaero will keep doing its thing. Just another option :)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aqua-computer-aquaero-5-lt-usb-fan-controller-wc-011-aq.html

Man of Honour
My temps don't rise though and even if they did I have a water temp display sitting above my reservoir just off to my right so all I would have to do is adjust fan speeds accordingly. I would probably be different for a more conventional watercooling setup in a case though so your point would be more valid in that scenario. Personally I would love a Aquaero but I would want a proper one with the display and by the time I have bought the accessories to monitor everything I wanted to it will have cost me a couple of hundred pounds and that is a lot of money.

Soldato
When it comes to fan controllers their is only older aquaero 5 and newer aquaero 6. Nothing else is even worth comparing to them. They can be setup to do almost anything but make morning cup of coffee.

Soldato
When it comes to fan controllers their is only older aquaero 5 and newer aquaero 6. Nothing else is even worth comparing to them. They can be setup to do almost anything but make morning cup of coffee.
Actually Aquaero has timer functionality and output which could be used for controlling relay starting coffee maker at set time if you just put everything ready at evening.:D

Soldato
Actually Aquaero has timer functionality and output which could be used for controlling relay starting coffee maker at set time if you just put everything ready at evening.:D
ROFL
I knew that but didn't even think about it when I posted what I did. I make expresso so can't set it up on a timer. :D I sound have said aquaero can't wash windows. :D

Still, anyone looking for a lot of fan control features the aquaero 5LT and 6LT are the best out there.

Associate
OP
Well I decided to go for a new case that doesnt have 5.25" bay so thought that I would just skip the fan controller but that Aqaureo looks like just the thing as it can be mounted inside the case and will do everything that I could ever want, Ill pick one of those up :)

Cheers

Soldato
The only complaints I've heard about aquaero are about it having more abilty / doing way more thing than most users even begine to use.

As EsaT said, it can even be used to set coffee / tea timer .. but it won't wash windows.

Associate
OP
The only complaints I've heard about aquaero are about it having more abilty / doing way more thing than most users even begine to use.

As EsaT said, it can even be used to set coffee / tea timer .. but it won't wash windows.

Itll fit right in here then as I dont wash mine either :)

Back
Top Bottom