Fan is loud and has slowed down

Associate
I'm trying to fix a fan in a friend's PSU.

Its has become loud, like a fridge off balance and the fan's rpm seems to be reduced. Its a Fujistu/Siemens one thats out of warranty and he's asked me to try something.

Replacing it could be a problem as it appears, without opening the PSU to be a non standard size and shape. To me a straight swap appears unlikely, but I wont know 100% until I open the PSU.

Is there anything I can do the fix the one thats already in it?

Soldato
Probably the fan bearings, they dont last forever. Some PSU's have the fans soldered in, others use a connector. If its got a connector, its pretty easy to change the fan, just dont go randomly touching componants, as a cap in good condition can hold its charge for an amazingly long time.

Standard sizes are 80mm, 90mm, some even use 120mm, a few use low profile fans, but generally they are all available if you know where to look.

If its an ATX psu though, you might find it easier just to swap out the entire PSU. Dont by anything too cheap though whatever you do.

Associate
Is it really worth it? Just buy a new one! A bodged job on your PSU could take out (i.e. destroy) your rig, assuming one of the capacitors doesn't discharge and give you a heart attack. Most of the people here would gladly dremel, weld, glue, solder, lap, overclock, underclock, volt mod, watercool and generally customise anything if they could get another 10% performance out of it, and they all leave the PSU alone.

Associate
OP
The PSU is non standard and by the looks of it, will be hard to find a 2nd hand replacement

I'm not a fool when it comes to things like this, again let me worry about the capacitors, please

Soldato
Its pretty unlikely they made the fan themselves, just remove the old fan, measure it up, and you can normally find stuff like the papst catalog online, they make fans in virtually every size, and shape.

Associate
Dempsey said:
The PSU is non standard and by the looks of it, will be hard to find a 2nd hand replacement

I'm not a fool when it comes to things like this, again let me worry about the capacitors, please

Just thinking of your family and loved ones :D

Best of luck, I'd say a prayer for you but I'm an atheist ;)

Back
Top Bottom