• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fan issues with Asus Tuf 3080 OC

Associate
Took delivery of my 3080 today and it seems it might be an RMA :(

The problem I have is that one of the fans is incredibly loud when it spins up. When I first installed it span constantly even at idle. Searched around, found that people had been having problems with dual monitors somehow breaking the feature where the fans stop under a certain temperature. This was supposedly fixed with a bios update, which I applied. Restarted- no fan noise! Then two minutes later it began again. So I've updated the bios, made sure the drivers are fresh, tried with two monitors then each independently, still getting this awful noise whenever the left fan spins up.

I know the assumption is that there's a dud bearing but I still suspect it might be something to do with the fan going at full RPM whenever it's spinning. GPU-z and other monitoring tools are showing it speeding up and slowing down but there's no change in the pitch of the fan noise. It was also spinning fast enough to put a nice slice in my fingertip when I touched it even though monitoring said it was <1000rpm, so I don't know if there's still some bios issue with it communicating what fan speeds it should be at/is actually maintaining.

I'm pretty stumped and I'd obviously be a bit gutted to have to send it back after the saga of trying to get my hands on it. Can anyone suggest anything, even a way of eliminating a bad bearing before I waste any more time trawling google?

Associate
OP
try making a custom fan curve profile with MSI Afterburner, are you sure is the fan and is not coil whine?
Nah, definitely not coil whine. Manually controlling the fans through AB only seems to affect the centre fan, the left one is either screaming full speed or nothing. Just realised the rightmost fan isn't spinning at all either. This is what's making me think it's some issue with fan control rather than just one bad bearing making a noise.

Associate
OP
Solved- just posting this because it made me laugh. Checked all the power connections first like you always do before spending hours googling arcane bios solutions and tearing my hair out. Just now tried swapping the two 6+2 connectors around out of sheer desparation- works perfectly.

Associate
Solved- just posting this because it made me laugh. Checked all the power connections first like you always do before spending hours googling arcane bios solutions and tearing my hair out. Just now tried swapping the two 6+2 connectors around out of sheer desparation- works perfectly.

Thats a relief, I have a tuf oc on the way, had me worried.

Associate

Weird! But glad you are sorted, would have been a nightmare to have to RMA such a hard-to-get item!

Back
Top Bottom