Fan splitter cables

Associate
This should be a quick one.

Just ordered 2 new corsair blue LED fans and a 2 way splitter cable. These are 3 pin fans.

My question is will the bios still control both fans that are plugged into the single header?

Soldato
This is making the assumption your motherboard has DC voltage control on those particular fan headers. If you have that and it's enabled, everything else should be sweet. The motherboard will take a speed reading from one of the fans - you can tell which one by finding which of the extended plugs has the 3rd wire left in. One probably won't.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the replies. My mobo is a Asus z370-p I can't find any documentation that says if it has DC voltage control. I think it does though.

Soldato
If voltage is set too low then fans may not run because the current is shared so you may have to increase voltage to run both fans.
So long as the current doesn't exceed the rated limit of the fan header, it will behave exactly the same as for one fan. Current is shared but unless the header is overloaded, it will happily supply 2,3 or 15 fans at the same voltage as for one.

Associate
Say fan control is enabled and the header is providing 5 amps then it's 2.5 each which may not be enough. It's something I've personally experienced. The other way is to run at full speed without fan control then both fans will run. It may work with fan control enabled but sometimes after a cold boot it may not until the system warms up and current is increased.

Last edited:
Soldato
Say fan control is enabled and the header is providing 5 amps then it's 2.5 each which may not be enough. It's something I've personally experienced. The other way is to run at full speed without fan control then both fans will run. It may work with fan control enabled but sometimes after a cold boot it may not until the system warms up and current is increased.
I disagree with almost all of this, sorry. Fan headers aren't current-controlled, they're either voltage-controlled or a PWM signal is varied. Current is drawn not pushed. Current is shared, but two fans will present half the resistance and so draw double the current from a given voltage. Half of double the current is, yes, the same current per fan as a single fan on its own.

You're overthinking this. Maybe you've had fans which have a high starting voltage.

Associate
I disagree with almost all of this, sorry. Fan headers aren't current-controlled, they're either voltage-controlled or a PWM signal is varied. Current is drawn not pushed. Current is shared, but two fans will present half the resistance and so draw double the current from a given voltage. Half of double the current is, yes, the same current per fan as a single fan on its own.

You're overthinking this. Maybe you've had fans which have a high starting voltage.
You're right that's why I said I had issues after a cold start because the low temps meant low voltage so only one fan would run. As the system warmed up, both fans would start running.

Back
Top Bottom