Fanatec GT3 RS V2 CSR Elite Edition bundle

Soldato
Allegedly Fanatec wheels are a bit of a scam, the Mabuchi 550 motoros that are advertised in all their wheels and that are used in power drills, are actually Mabuchi 555 motors that are used in ink jet printers.

Here is one from burnt out CSR Elite
post-873-0-80363400-1344611216_thumb.jpg

RS-555PH-22130
TD409Z12

Several other people with burnt motors have all found the same thing.
Porsche wheels have bad ergonomics to boot :

post-423-0-77245000-1377164592_thumb.jpg

Their pedals are great though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dunno about the motors, but I didn't much fancy the Porsche wheels for reasons including the ergo.
Those paddles are like the aftermarket attachments you can get for the DFGT.

Ended up grabbing a CSR which has it's own drawbacks, though it has quality paddles at least :D Not received it yet, so we'll see how it goes...

Soldato
CSR does seem to be their most reliable wheel without the overheating problems of Porsches - so good choice. Let us know if you find out what motor it uses :)

Associate
I don't think you will be disappointed

I run the Clubsport base, F1 rim and V2 pedals and they perform superb.
The build quality is extremely high compared to what Logitech/thrustmaster have to offer.

Soldato
CSR does seem to be their most reliable wheel without the overheating problems of Porsches - so good choice. Let us know if you find out what motor it uses :)

The base/internals are the same, so I don't know why it would be any more or less reliable unless the higher rim weight of the porsche wheels add significantly more stress to the motor.

I don't think you will be disappointed

I run the Clubsport base, F1 rim and V2 pedals and they perform superb.
The build quality is extremely high compared to what Logitech/thrustmaster have to offer.

Madjelly.jpg Stuff of dreams :)
Will be using CSP V1's at least. A *bit* of a step up from DFGT/MS pedals I had a couple of years back eh? :D

Would love to get one of these, but I'm bankrupt now :(
Also thinking about grabbing some of these. Review here and here

Last edited:
Soldato
It has better paddles (and arguably ergonomics) and the rim is lighter, which makes it feel sharper. Apparently, it gives a better 'race car feel' while the Porsche rims are more suited to GT/Road car stuff.
Seeing as I mostly drive race cars and open wheelers, the CSR seemed like the best choice for me.

Some feel that the CSR rim is a bit cheap and plasticky, but I plan to wrap the top part with handlebar tape or something if it bothers me.

It would be nice if they did a CSR/CSR Elite bundle for maybe £20 more than the GT3/Elite bundle tbh...

Last edited:
Soldato
The base/internals are the same, so I don't know why it would be any more or less reliable unless the higher rim weight of the porsche wheels add significantly more stress to the motor.

CSRs reported to have better cooling.

So is the Fanatec Forza wheel better then the Porsche one?

Depends on what kind of better. CSR is reported to have less overheat probs, porsche has alcantara grip and is round (good for drifting). Porsche has ergo problems as in pics above where paddles interfere with your 9 and 3 o'clock hand position. Both are great wheels if backed by warranty, without warranty - not so great, don't do drifting as the motors are known to burn. Overheat issue discussed here, apparently CSR's IC is more powerful and less prone to overheat : http://f-wheel.com/forums/index.php?topic=1383.0

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm with you ;) I've decided against Fanatec wheel in the end- yes, they have great built quality on the outside, good materials like alcantara, but not so great engineering inside. I will get their pedals though - eventually :)

Associate
OP
I'm with you ;) I've decided against Fanatec wheel in the end- yes, they have great built quality on the outside, good materials like alcantara, but not so great engineering inside. I will get their pedals though - eventually :)

What wheel would you get , the Thrustmaster?

Soldato
I got second hand g27 - just yesterday:) Price is one thing- you get the gear stick and pedals that are superior to all but Fanatec Elites or Clubsports. But also, the wheel has no ergonomics problems and seems to be well engineered (apart from the encoder cog that is reported to go bad with time, its replaceable though) - logitech's 3 year warranty speaks for their confidence in their product itself. Materials are not particularly great (they are decent- shifter looks a bit cheap, pedals are great, wheel is good), but
... I'd rather have good reliability.

Thrustmaster t500 later version (they 've updated quite a few bits inside) is good but pricey, has noisy fan. Plus, buying second hand is still £250, which is too risky for me. I was really set on getting the new Thrustmaster TX which is like t500 but with brushless motors, but avalanche of bad reviews on the US river site have put me right off. Plus it does not come with clutch pedal or gear stick.

Whatever you choose it will be a compromise. G27 is best one for me - reliability, function and (last place) looks. Its great for drifting. I was really apprehensive about its slow countersteer, but no, its good, certainly not slower than Fanatec non-Elite/CSW wheels). Massive upgrade over my previous logitech DFP (which I got in 2005 and it still works fine!)

In the Fanatec Elite price range, I'd go for t500 or updated TX. THose wheels have the fastest countersteer FFB, and better motors. But this is based on choosing function over form again as Fanatecs are undoubtedly better looking and have better materials of the externals ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom