Fans ramping with 5800X under water

Pet Northerner
Don
So I apologise for what is going to be a dumb question.

Finally gotten around to fitting my WC loop over the weekend and it passed the leak test.

Turned it on this morning and on the GPU the temps are fantastic, not going over 50c on the hotspot.

The CPU seems a little off. Just browsing the internet it want to got from 25/26 to 60 in an up and down manner, which keeps setting the PWN fans (all 6) to spin really quickly for short bursts.

How do people normally deal with this behaviour, I assume its because I'm on a stock 5800X and it's AMD doing it's thing.

However in cinebench the temp ends up at about 73 under load but the pc sounds like a jet engine.

The loop is 2 x 360 rads, so there should be enough headroom for the CPU and GPU.

My assumption here is that I'll need to do a manual fan curve and ditch the PWM logic?

Soldato
That’s normal behaviour for the CPU, it will boost with high voltage under smaller loads and cause temperature spikes, which is just the nature of a small process node.

For your fans, some controllers allow for a longer period of time before they ramp up which would help. My loop uses a fan curve based on the coolant temperature which is a better option imho.

Soldato
depends how youre controlling them
but usually theres an option to use a longer polling duration
different software/bios will have their own name for it
but basically can set it to check the temperature less often
so it misses detecting sudden spikes
and yeah sitting here doing not too much of anything
my 5950x is jumping from 27c to 50c
but my fans dont react to the sudden spikes
as andy said you should have the option to use something other
than the cpu temperature as the reference for the fans
if you dont have a coolant sensor could try using the gpu as the reference
since that shouldnt suddenly spike
you should be able to make it do what you want using either
pwm or a manual curve

Associate
So I apologise for what is going to be a dumb question.

Finally gotten around to fitting my WC loop over the weekend and it passed the leak test.

Turned it on this morning and on the GPU the temps are fantastic, not going over 50c on the hotspot.

The CPU seems a little off. Just browsing the internet it want to got from 25/26 to 60 in an up and down manner, which keeps setting the PWN fans (all 6) to spin really quickly for short bursts.

How do people normally deal with this behaviour, I assume its because I'm on a stock 5800X and it's AMD doing it's thing.

However in cinebench the temp ends up at about 73 under load but the pc sounds like a jet engine.

The loop is 2 x 360 rads, so there should be enough headroom for the CPU and GPU.

My assumption here is that I'll need to do a manual fan curve and ditch the PWM logic?
you want to set the fans to ramp at hotter temp. mine only ramp once the temp gets to 70c. what fans are you using to make it sound like a jet engine.

my fans run around 900rpm then at 70c they go full speed. Still not loud though. I use arctic P12 fans

Pet Northerner
Don
OP
That’s normal behaviour for the CPU, it will boost with high voltage under smaller loads and cause temperature spikes, which is just the nature of a small process node.

For your fans, some controllers allow for a longer period of time before they ramp up which would help. My loop uses a fan curve based on the coolant temperature which is a better option imho.

Yeah it was the PWM setting reading the CPU and with an interval of 1s.

I ordered and fitted a temperate probe and can set the fans to the EC1 header, although the pump seems to ignore than and still read the CPU.

Speaking of which it does seem a tad high under load (upper 70s) but again it may just be the chip

Soldato
My 5800X3D hits around 70C under water in Cinebench, but gaming it never hits that high. It's fairly typical for these cpus to get warm, not from using a ton of power, just the physics of a smaller node.

Sounds like you've got it all sussed :)

Pet Northerner
Don
OP
My 5800X3D hits around 70C under water in Cinebench, but gaming it never hits that high. It's fairly typical for these cpus to get warm, not from using a ton of power, just the physics of a smaller node.

Sounds like you've got it all sussed :)

Quick and dirty PBO plus -10 Curve optimizer has shave 10c off load with no real loss of performance (15100 + cinebench) so I'll take it for now (until I have more tinkering time).

Chip isn't a good one, with most +200 / -20 CO's just blue screens me constantly. It'll need a lot of TLC.

Soldato
Quick and dirty PBO plus -10 Curve optimizer has shave 10c off load with no real loss of performance (15100 + cinebench) so I'll take it for now (until I have more tinkering time).

Chip isn't a good one, with most +200 / -20 CO's just blue screens me constantly. It'll need a lot of TLC.

Ah nice. I'm -30 on all cores currently and stable. Although I might adjust the two preferred cores back up a touch.

Associate
Add a temperature sensor into the loop to monitor the water temperature then create a fan curve based off that.
My water will go from 21c from boot and hits max around 33c while playing a game. I set the fans to idle at 30% then they ramp up another 20% when the temp goes over 30c, that's usually enough to prevent it from going higher. This will obviously need tweaking to your own cooling capacity of your loop.
This is the best way I've found to stop fans from ramping up and down all the time as its the true temperature fluctuation of the loop.

Back
Top Bottom