FAO: Anybody who has been knocked out at hospital

Permabanned
Bit of a weird question this, but I am NOT asking for medical advice - just information/knowledge.

Last week I had two wisdom teeth out. In the room before the theatre, I was given the usual thing in the hand where they put the needle. Had the monitor probes attached to my chest, and waited to be knocked out.

Anyway, the guys come through from the theatre. Told me to relax, and I was showing as a little anxious. I remember a guy getting a needle (don't remember what was in it, but I seem to remember it's content was clear) and tapping it to get any air out. I was then passed a mask - I was told it was an oxygen mask.

I did as was told, and put the mask on and breathed deeply. The mask smelt rubbery, and a little how poppers smell - but I just accepted that it was the smell of rubber. I remember hazing, and it was then I was wondered if there was something more to that 'oxygen'. Anyway, I just followed through with it, and I assume they just gave me the needle (aka: magic milk).

But now I think about it, and after what I've been told, I'm wondering if I was sedated and gassed to sleep (don't know the proper word, sorry)?

Anybody knowledgable in surgery/medicine know?

This happened to me years ago.

I was given an injection but was too tense for the injection to knock me out.

Rubber mask put on, told to count to ten, I think I got to about 6 :D

So, yes, it sounds like sedation and gas.

It's the weirdest thing ever. There is literally zero time between going to sleep and waking up. The doctor said 'I'm just going to.....' and then I asked him how long it would take for them to do the operation. He said 'We've done it'.

Bizarre.

seaviewuk said:
So, yes, it sounds like sedation and gas.
Hmmm, not happy then. My instincts told me it was a hospital I couldn't trust, but I just got on with it. If anything, I was more nervous that second time than the first time.

Not impressed being lied to, being told the mask contained gas and not oxygen like I was told it did.

One woman, also from Darlington, was also given the same treatment. She was told the mask was mandatory, or she wouldn't get the operation. :eek: Now I see why. :eek:

[TW]Fox said:
It's the weirdest thing ever. There is literally zero time between going to sleep and waking up. The doctor said 'I'm just going to.....' and then I asked him how long it would take for them to do the operation. He said 'We've done it'.

Bizarre.

Same for me. One moment I was counting to ten, next moment I woke up feeling groggy as hell in a ward.

[TW]Fox said:

Bizarre.

Yep, been through that situation too many times. :o

Gotta go through it all again in a few months....:(

Just beware that while you are under the surgeouns etc DO talk about your penis and it's size.... and take the mick where appropriate lol...

My girlfriend is a radiographer and was shocked to hear them talking the first time she was in theatre!!

basmic said:
Hmmm, not happy then. My instincts told me it was a hospital I couldn't trust, but I just got on with it. If anything, I was more nervous that second time than the first time.

Not impressed being lied to, being told the mask contained gas and not oxygen like I was told it did.

One woman, also from Darlington, was also given the same treatment. She was told the mask was mandatory, or she wouldn't get the operation. :eek: Now I see why. :eek:

Out of interest which hospital was it?

basmic said:

Was the operation a success?

Was it free?

Have you been harmed in anyway?

Ok.

Docaroo said:
Just beware that while you are under the surgeouns etc DO talk about your penis and it's size.... and take the mick where appropriate lol...

My girlfriend is a radiographer and was shocked to hear them talking the first time she was in theatre!!

They cut mine open, so their opinion of their size was the last thing on my mind.

Last edited:
[TW]Fox said:

Bizarre.
Same here. I was inhaling the so-called 'oxygen' one minute, and asked if I wanted to wipe the blood off my lips the next. :p
al123 said:
Out of interest which hospital was it?
Gatesead Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Surgery Centre.

basmic said:

My situation was quite a long time ago, just after the mallett was superseded by the injection :D. So maybe they were telling you the truth and it was oxygen?

jdickerson said:
Was the operation a success?

Was it free?

Have you been harmed in anyway?

Ok.
Yes.

Yes, but what's it you what it cost me?

Possibly mentally slightly scarred, making me more nervous the next time I need to be knocked out.

It's bad enough my Mum has a phobia of being knocked out for fear of never waking up again. I daren't even tell her about this - is it meant to reassure her? :eek:

Back
Top Bottom