Fastershire / Gigagclear 1000Mbps fibre to the property

Soldato
OP
Congratulations, your Gigaclear fibre cabinet is now live in Badgeworth!
Dear Andy,

We are delighted to announce that the Gigaclear cabinet in Badgeworth is now live and connected to the Gigaclear network. Our contractors will continue the construction of your fibre optic network throughout your community.

Still no sign of my own optic cable and router I ordered, to go from pot to house though, so that is now the next step.
I hope I don't have to be out digging a trench in the snow next week.
(They give you two weeks to install the fibre/ make the connection before starting the direct debit!)
:eek: :D

Caporegime
Get some plastic conduit from CPC and bury it while it's warm now, then just pull the fibre through that when it arrives.

Soldato
OP
I think the fibre will be too thin to push through over 50m and it's not a straight line from my gate either. I'd have to put a wire or some other string in to pull it through I think, which will be just as difficult.

What I was going to do is bury it in sand and then re-lay the tarmac on the top. They do suggest it's robust enough to do that..

Caporegime
That will do fine. For the conduit stuff get something flexible, keep the bend radius large enough, and if you need to get a draw wire inside it then you can buy the stuff with it already in, or tie one end of a piece of draw wire around some cloth and use a vacuum cleaner to suck it through.

Soldato
OP
Booo.
Raised a ticket with support now my customer portal is live, asking when fibre/cable/router is likely to arrive so I can arrange digging my drive up..
Phone call from Customer services - Systems now closed til 4th Jan so wont be until the New Year.

Arsebiscuits :D

Soldato
OP
That will do fine. For the conduit stuff get something flexible, keep the bend radius large enough, and if you need to get a draw wire inside it then you can buy the stuff with it already in, or tie one end of a piece of draw wire around some cloth and use a vacuum cleaner to suck it through.

Need to see the cable termination plug first. I am hoping it will fit inside some blue water pipe. Have plenty of that on the farm :D

Soldato
How does this firm generate money from the relatively few customers they get per village?

Presumably they only serve villages that are near to the fibre backbone already otherwise it'd be far more expensive than digging up some pavements. Which means deep rural places are still at a loss.

Caporegime
They need 30% of the village to sign up for the service and enter into contract before they start the digging phase.

Soldato
OP
The backbone for me is over 1o miles away over the nearest hill. I wouldn't exactly call that close to the backbone and that's apparently one run of cable :o

But yea as above, you get 30% of people to say they'll have it and in they come.

Associate
I managed to get 240 of our neighbourhood signed up and interested but Gigaclear still wouldn't come. That was about 18 months ago now though and BT have just announced they will be laying fibre around September 2016. 1000mb would have been nice though!!

Soldato
OP
FINALLY!!

Arrived today, itching to get it installed but dark now and blowing a bloody gale out there.

2016-02-01%2016.22.23_zpsn5ubvf4s.jpg

Soldato
OP
Sat in a pub in London, working away til the weekend. Will get it finished by Sunday night I expect.

Soldato
I really need more upload at the moment I only get 10Mbps and uploading YouTube videos can be quite painful. Having 20 - 30Mbps upload would be the sweet spot. We do have 160Mbps download but I hardly ever download big files so I rarely see the benefit from it.

Thinking of switch back to BT Broadband for the extra upload but I'm a bit concerned that they do traffic shaping. But hey, Virgin Media do traffic shaping as well who I am currently with so I guess I can cope.

Back
Top Bottom