Fat1 soundcard

Associate
Ok, I'm an avid CS:source nut and I just love 'tracking' the enemy as they run past/over/under me. I cant say ive ever bought a sound card (using onboard atm) and dont 'hear' what im missing.

So can someone with the fatal1ty or a fairly well spec sound card let me know what I'm missing out on?

I suppose its easy to notice the difference from old and new graphics cards but I admit im plain ignorant with sound hehe.

The only difference ive ever noticed with my sound has been changing from speakers to headphones where I can guess a lot better where the enemy is coming from.

rlm

rlm

Associate
Upgrading to a better sound card to enhance directional audio through headphones will not make a massive difference. It may be slightly noticeable but I don't think it could be a reason to spend a great sum of money on a decent card when factors like sound quality, accuracy in reproduction and functionality/support come into play.

Mud

Mud

Soldato
The CMSS on the fatal1ty is very impressive I reckon, but I have no 5.1 headphones or alternate directional audio to compare to.

Soldato
When i first started playing BF2 with this card i could hear loads more than my old sonicfury,with headphones it`s even better,i know its not CS m8 but just my feedback on the card.

Soldato
I'd say something like a pair of Medusa 5.1s would be a better investment.

If your onboard sound is only stereo, why not get something like the Audigy 2 ZS OEM?

I have the above setup (Medusa + Audigy OEM) and it's great. I really don't think the Fatality is anything more than hype, certainly as far as directionality goes. I don't doubt the audio quality will be slightly (and I mean, slightly), but the price premium is absurd. Mind you, that's the way of both the computer and HiFi world - a doubling in performance costs (at least) four times the money.

Associate
OP
Jimbo Mahoney said:

If your onboard sound is only stereo, why not get something like the Audigy 2 ZS OEM?

I have the above setup (Medusa + Audigy OEM) and it's great. I really don't think the Fatality is anything more than hype, certainly as far as directionality goes. I don't doubt the audio quality will be slightly (and I mean, slightly), but the price premium is absurd. Mind you, that's the way of both the computer and HiFi world - a doubling in performance costs (at least) four times the money.

so medusa's are headphones? how much will medusa + audigy cost?

Hmm from what rlm says I might gain more from some top notch headphones than a new card.

Soldato
Jimbo Mahoney said:

i disagree, you do NOT need 5.1 headphones for good positioning ;) A decent set of stereo cans with a good soundcard to drive them will be better IMHO.

just listen to this with stereo headphones and tell me that in headphone form you need more than stereo for positioning ;)

http://www.holophonic.ch/archivio/testaudio/Cereni - Holophonic.mp3

I play CS with a pair of beyer dynamic DT770's (quite accepted as amongst the best home cinema / gaming type headphones, but they lack the musical fidelity of things like grado's) and the positioning is amazing from stereo, with the sound coming from optical out into my AV reciever, then into my cans :)

Tom.

Associate
I have the fatal1ty sound card, well worth the money, the cmss 3d is amazing over headphones, i use a logitech headset and it comes through like true surround. I have the card hooked up to my surround sound Technics hi-fi when in entertainment mode and the quality is amazing, excellent for movies. I have the sound card outputs maxed and play the stero at half volume, if i turn the hifi up there is no audible distortion. It vastly improves CSS and BF2.

Back
Top Bottom