Fatal overclocking and dead machine ;(

Associate
Hello everyone I'm new at this forum. I was always buying from overclockers.uk but today I need your help.

I have purchased and assembled my machine on 2014. Machine is watercoolled and there is no leaks ;) the main components are:
- ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA motherboard
- intel i7 haswell 4770 3.5ghz
- MSI Radeon R9 290X

After 3 years not even touching my setup I finally decided to overclock a bit so I have finished with success at 4.2Ghz at 1.35V.
So I was tempted to use MSI adterburn software and one tweak and everything died. Because I have set the overturn to lunch at startup with this setup it was impossible to start windows. Finally started in safe mode and deleted afterburner completelly. Then pc started to boot up and shut down immediately and it was happening just constantly. So only way to go to the bios was push the memory test button when all banks has been tested then I was able to open the BIOS.
Set all the settings to default and still the same, but better as stopped to buy and shutdown itself just started working but with the code on the motherboard 6b. So I have loaded new bios v1605 (the latest one from 2014) but still the same blank screen even not going through logo and Bios initial page just dark screen from the start. Because all the watercooling is done with pvc tubing I need to completely remove everything now I think. But there's is still question is this GPU died, processor or motherboard ? Hope someone will help me I have no one to test the graphic card with everyone of my friends have the tablets and laptops;( the fact are I can log to the BIOS using test memory bilt in to the motherboard button but can't go any where else. I can see processor properties and live voltage measurements at the BIOS so processor is fine for me. Motherboard is loading the BIOS two displays working on Both HDMI and DVI ports so motherboard seams to be also fine my guess is the graphic card just need someone who can confir it to me to be 100% sure.

Thank you very much for reading all this long description. I have no possibility to include any image of the machine but I will soon as I will find the wau to do it as I can't get to my serwer from iPhone and load the pics :(
Thanks

Associate
I wouldn't overturn to lunch for one thing.:eek:
I might undertow to dinner.

If the Intel internal graphics are working and the GPU isn't, then the GPU doesn't seem to be working. One or the other must be working to show you the BIOS.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hello oN
Thanks for your replay I have switched MSI off in BIOS and switched only iGPU (motherboard one) ON and exactly the same behaviour. So I'm confused right now. Maybe overclocked processor too much ? Once I have set voltage to 1.500v just to check it how stable it wil be at this point I know this is a way too much but just for the test without any savings. I have used Prime95 to run stress test for a few minutes and CoreTemp was showing 97 degree while MSI monitoring softwer was showing 65-75degree so maybe the CoreTemp was closer and this was actually last minutes of my processor...
Thinking different way there is security cutoff treshold on all intel procesors should just reboot the machine and I still see the cores voltage in BIOS so I think is working but have not idea what is happening.There is water block on South and North bridge on CPU and GPU water temperature was about 50 degree so all well cooled and still something happened :(
I have atached a few pictures below of my machine and BIOS CPU cores monitoring
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Associate
I'd take the GPU out, remove all related display drivers and overclocking software, reset the BIOS and boot off iGPU. Test that, if all good, throw your GPU back in, leave everything at stock. install drivers and run some gpu benches. Also don't just smash stupid voltage through your CPU for no reason, and then run prime, especially on Haswell. AVX in P95 absolutely rapes haswell chips, even at sane voltages. at 1.5v I wouldn't be surprised if you've killed it.

Associate
Hello everyone I'm new at this forum. I was always buying from overclockers.uk but today I need your help.

I have purchased and assembled my machine on 2014. Machine is watercoolled and there is no leaks ;) the main components are:
- ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA motherboard
- intel i7 haswell 4770 3.5ghz
- MSI Radeon R9 290X

After 3 years not even touching my setup I finally decided to overclock a bit so I have finished with success at 4.2Ghz at 1.35V.
So I was tempted to use MSI adterburn software and one tweak and everything died. Because I have set the overturn to lunch at startup with this setup it was impossible to start windows. Finally started in safe mode and deleted afterburner completelly. Then pc started to boot up and shut down immediately and it was happening just constantly. So only way to go to the bios was push the memory test button when all banks has been tested then I was able to open the BIOS.
Set all the settings to default and still the same, but better as stopped to buy and shutdown itself just started working but with the code on the motherboard 6b. So I have loaded new bios v1605 (the latest one from 2014) but still the same blank screen even not going through logo and Bios initial page just dark screen from the start. Because all the watercooling is done with pvc tubing I need to completely remove everything now I think. But there's is still question is this GPU died, processor or motherboard ? Hope someone will help me I have no one to test the graphic card with everyone of my friends have the tablets and laptops;( the fact are I can log to the BIOS using test memory bilt in to the motherboard button but can't go any where else. I can see processor properties and live voltage measurements at the BIOS so processor is fine for me. Motherboard is loading the BIOS two displays working on Both HDMI and DVI ports so motherboard seams to be also fine my guess is the graphic card just need someone who can confir it to me to be 100% sure.

Thank you very much for reading all this long description. I have no possibility to include any image of the machine but I will soon as I will find the wau to do it as I can't get to my serwer from iPhone and load the pics :(
Thanks

You had a fully CLC machine for 3 years and didn't OC? :O

Associate
OP
Mistersprinkles YES I know it's wired :) Hahaha OC was not needed that days, machine was so fast I was bought it with possibility for OC only looking forward also had no time during passed few years for my PC. Water cooling has been done mainly for silence.
Guys everything is working fine now. Nothing died. The reason was coming from the memory. The BIOS has been set to default but because I have pushed the MEMOK button after the test BIOS want me to save the memory settings in BIOS.
I had no idea how to do it so just tried to save the settings but because there was no changes BIOS asked me if I want to save it anyway. I have clicked NO by mistake and Windows start to load :) Happy days but after restart again same story memory still wanted me to save the settings.
There is no option like this in BIOS so I have set:
- Ai Overclock Tuner: AUTO
- Fully Manual Mode: Disabled
- CPU Core Voltage: Adaptive Mode.
F10 save it and all is working now.

Finally overclocked to 4.2Ghz, CPU Core 1.360V, BLCK Frequency 100.3 and machine is stable. Temperature 40 degree without stress.
Implosiveturnip: Thanks for the advice I was used Prime95 only once and never again.

Graphic overclocked as well final result where during the Banchmark Valey Test machine is stable and results as below.

afterburner.jpg

cpu.jpg

Thanks once again for all the answers and I'm happy that my baby is still alive :)

Soldato
That seems like a lot of volts for a 4.2 overclock, have you tried lowering it a little? I would have thought you could drop that down to 1.2v without a problem. I know it can vary a lot from chip to chip but even the worst i5 i had would do 4.4 at 1.36v.

Back
Top Bottom